Topic: Need Electric guitar hardware advice

I've been playing acoustic all my life just getting into electric guitar. I roam the  music shops amazed at the amount of accessories, I don't know where  to start.
I have the guitar and a good Marshall amp any suggestions on which effects pedal I should start with? Or what the next piece of hardware should be. I get different answers at different shops.  Thanks for your time
ICE

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What one can be, one must be.
Abraham Maslow

Re: Need Electric guitar hardware advice

Hello Iceman and welcome to Chordie,buying a effects pedal you will get a lot of opinions it comes down to what your budget can handle I use a Boss ME-50 it has several effects and a volume pedal I think I paid around $250.00 for it includes reverb,delay several distortion settings and a harmonizer there are also some stomp boxes that give individual effects but it still depends on your budget and what genre of music you want it for but thats my recomendation im sure there will be other members who can provide other choices good luck with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Welcome to Chordie Iceman.
I'm with Russell on ME-50.  Has a tuner and delay and wah.  Had mine several years with no other pedals.  One cool thing I like is turn down the volume pedal with your foot to unplug a guitar without popping your amp speakers.    I've since bought a Boss Looper RC-2 and Ibanez Tube Screamer.  The looper is like having a band mate to jam with.   ps Also, I'm a newbie on electric.
Steve

Thanks Russ and Steve

What a great site I wish I found it years ago. Thanks for the great advice I'll be checking out the ME-50 this weekend.
ICE

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What one can be, one must be.
Abraham Maslow

You didn't mention your choice of music but I like the ideas given about the multieffects units. Boss has a catalog that you can download from their website that gives lots of good information about Distortions, Choruses, Delays, Reverbs, and other effects and how to obtain particular sounds for your style of music. For Me? I have a Boss Tuner, chorus, delay, and distortion...my reverb is built into my amps... That gives me a lot of choices and combinations...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

6 (edited by dfoskey 2009-09-16 16:08:55)

Welcome to Chordie Iceman917. The Boss ME50 is a good choice but the Digitech RP series are also good multieffect units. All of them have many presets that can be tweaked to your liking and they also have amp modeling and acoustic simulators built in. Then they all also have assorted drum beats that are very helpful in practice on your timing and playing rythym. Some of the larger models also have wah/volume pedals built on too. They are worth checking out to at least get an idea of what modulations and effects you really want or need for your playing style.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!!
I bought the Digiteck RP 90 it was well within my budget and it does some amazing things including drum patterns as dfosky said. Been playing with it all week and cant say enough about it. Its opened up a whole new world for an old acoustic player.
thanks again guys
ice

Abraham Maslow

I'm with Russ & Noysz I play through a Fender Deville with 4 10's and a Boss ME-50. I have a friend who grew up like a sister that I seen yesterday who works for Roland so more toys on the way.