Topic: So, I'm new to the guitar...

...And I'm getting bored with my basic lessons. Got any songs that are easy enough so that I could kinda spice things up? Thanks 8D

Re: So, I'm new to the guitar...

Hi northerndownpour and welcome to chordie! Check the public books tab and look for beginner and easy books. There are tons of songs I'm sure you will enjoy!

Guitarpix has put a ton of effort into the Ultimate Beginners Songbook (below) with mostly easy chords and several songs have tutorial videos to go along.

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … gid=191936

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hello and Welcome to Chordie,

I don't know where you are at as far as what you have been learning from your instructor. I believe even if you are learning a lot of technical stuff and music theory , scales or whatever you have to learn some easy songs to keep it fun. The song I find the easiest for beginners and young and old like is "Knocking On Heavens Door"   G D Am  progression over and over  4 beats of G
4 beats of D and  8 beats or 2 measures of Am.

Later, Wayne P

I have been at it for nine months now. My advice:
Play what you like. Play what you want to play. Do you have a favorite band? Try looking for some easy songs by your favorite band.

Hi Northerndownpour and Welcome aboard!

Good advise here....  public books are a great place to start looking.  You might want to peruse the other topics as well, many posters that are actively gigging (Southpaw41L especially) will include a list of the tunes that went over particularly well at their venues.  You might glean some titles that not only are popular with audiences, but are recognizable to a wide range of tastes and get some ideas.

Visit Chordie often, there are a lot of good folks here to encourage you on your journey.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

New myself... I've been working on a few in my "fun time" -- Tom Dooley, Cats in the Cradle, Leaving on a Jet Plane ... I've got a few more, but those are ones that I think everyone knows and are really easy.  Ok... well everyone might not know Tom Dooley... but it's only 2 chords!  Have fun!  I work on the chords I have issues with... do some back and forth between chords... then play some songs to keep it fun (after all... that's WHY I picked up the guitar in the first place... to play!)

Enjoy!!

Oh... btw... there are harder versions of the songs... you're looking for the easy versions tho... they're all here in the songbooks... just be a little patient while you look them up until you find the ones that are the easier versions!!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Good advice above.  I just wanted to welcome you to guitar and to Chordie and to wish you luck.  The basic theory is tough, but it's good stuff to know.  As you begin to play more and more songs and see how much faster you are to learn them and the leads than some doofus who just started banging out chords at a campfire (a la me), you'll be glad you muscled through. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome to Chordie tongue
In my opinion actually Christian songs like:

* Light of the World
*Give me your eyes
And alot of other songs that have just 3 chords you do over and over again.
Hope this helps.

0_0 kathy94

Yeah basically, can get a little bit boring.....but you need to push through and keep at it.Keep setting little goals (is that the right spelling) try changing from say Am to C chord fluently, just keep doing it over and over then try to  appregio the chord progression ( single note picking ) , then after that add a D chord.....and so on - just keep building up from there....repetition is the key. Try simple songs ..... two to three chords - there are literally tonnes out there, if not make up your own - These three chords sound good together E A D any combination - try appregio then try different strumming patterns, mix them around and start again - over and over - monotony is the key.....then once you climb that little hill ..... you will see more mountains stretching ahead......and in the distance you will see Ararat ( Armenian mountain now called Mount everest ) thats where you want to be - but that takes a life time - in the meantime its going to get tough, but enjoy the journey, because the view in the end is well worth it! Oh and find a good guitar teacher, somebody to inspire you on your journey.....a guide!

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

Yes, you'll make it norhterndownpour.  Like they said, find songs you like first of all.  Ones you know the words and melody to and just start strumming away and singing.  And practice as often as you can.  Try to practice at least once a day for 10 or 15 minutes minimum.  You'll be surprised as time goes by how you satrt doing songs better.  Good luck, bud.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey there northern,

Check these guys out on youtube:

yourguitarsage
justinsanderco
educationalmaterials
guitarjamzdotcom
siggi mertens
gally042

This is where I get all my lesson from. Except for the 1 Steve (AccoustikNoyz) just helped me with!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!