Topic: restringing a guitar.

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but I struggle pretty bad at changing my string, and it's about that time. Anyone have any tips?
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: restringing a guitar.

selso I have been playing for along time ,many years and I still have some trouble restringing mine, I cringe at the thought each time I know I have too do it. I know someone else will come along soon and give you some advice,I am going to keep an eye on this to see if I can pick up any tips also.     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Selso,

Many music store will string a guitar up for free, as long as you buy your strings from the store.( haha) Just let 'em know that you're having difficulty and ask if they'll talk you through the process.

Or maybe Russ or GuitarPix( they guys here on Chordie that play great guitar, are friendly, generous, sharing humans, and have computer savy as well) could put a little video together for you.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

4 (edited by Doug_Smith 2009-09-20 05:07:56)

Hi Selso,

I change mine fairly often and found that the easiest is to use the methods that Taylor Guitars outline in videos on their website in the customer support area.  www.taylorguitars.com

If that link works....  in the support or resources pages there should be a series of videos pertaining to electric and acoustic guitars that should be informative.

Take Care
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Selso. just changed the strings on my acoustic, yesterday. Not sure if this is the right way or the wrong way but it works for me and is very simple.

My first step is to tune all strings prior to beginning.

Using my guitar stand to hold the guitar I start with removing the low "E" string, replacing it and retuning that string back to proper pitch. Next, is the "A" string followed by the "D" string and on and on until I finish all strings.

Before you start you will need to get a few simple tools out. String winder, tumer, pencil (use the pencil lead at the bridge and nut to eliminate the use of axle grease) and a small wire cutter.

As you change strings keep in mind that the tuners loosen by turning counterclock-wise and tighten by turning clock-wise.

Due to "string stretch" you'll have to keep checking your strings until they settle in but that won't take too long.

Nela

Check out Justinguitar.com.

He's got a good tutorial on changing your strings.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a vid I posted before and I think it's the best help I've seen. The guitar guild I belong to had sent this to all the members and it went over well.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/h … ustic.html

Later, Wayne P

Thanks for all the help, guys. The videos were very useful. I just wish I had a decent music store in my town.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I always hated pulling out the bridge pins. My little bit of advice is buy a good, expensive bridge pin puller, Makes a world of difference

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

I always hated pulling out the bridge pins. My little bit of advice is buy a good, expensive bridge pin puller, Makes a world of difference

I like to release all the tension from the strings so I can reach in the soundhole and push them up from the bottom... That way there's no worries about marking the bridge or pins. A good puller does make a difference though... I hate seeing people do this with a pair of pliers...Cringe

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

11 (edited by geoaguiar 2009-09-21 00:57:56)

Guitarpix wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

I like to release all the tension from the strings so I can reach in the soundhole and push them up from the bottom... That way there's no worries about marking the bridge or pins. A good puller does make a difference though... I hate seeing people do this with a pair of pliers...Cringe

That used to be me...electricians side cutters no less!!!! Pushing up from underneath is great advice. I've had to do it in the past with broken pins but why not all the time????

Another cool thing I bought is the Ernie Ball Electric String Winder...Looks like a little drill. I know seems lazy and lame but it's pretty cool. Admittedly, I do love the gadgets.

Elvis Costello

12 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-09-21 02:21:10)

another cool thing I bought is the Ernie Ball Electric String Winder...Looks like a little drill. I know seems lazy and lame but it's pretty cool. Admittedly, I do love the gadgets.

Lazy or not handy little gadget so i made my own to use with my little srewdriver drill

i know this is not Blue Peter but here's one i made earlier lol

and no stickyback plastic in sight ( though i did use glue)

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/jack_RT/winder1Small.jpg
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq316/jack_RT/winderSmall.jpg

It cost the price of a hand winder, about a pound? if it breaks i'l make another

cheers micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

geoaguiar wrote:

That used to be me...electricians side cutters no less!!!! Pushing up from underneath is great advice. I've had to do it in the past with broken pins but why not all the time????

Another cool thing I bought is the Ernie Ball Electric String Winder...Looks like a little drill. I know seems lazy and lame but it's pretty cool. Admittedly, I do love the gadgets.

The winders are cool and save a lot of time but they make me nervous... I've seen too many guitars with scratches and dings on the side of the headstock from manual and electric winders. Admittedly it was likely due to careless use but I still prefer the good old fingers. Takes more time but I don't have any worries that way smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Here's a question... how often to change your stings?  I know that it has to do with how much you actually play... so let's say you play for a couple hours every day as an average ... do you change strings at regular intervals, or do you change strings when they just won't hold a tune anymore? 

Also... I have a frayed string.  Do I just change the one, change them all, change one or all when it breaks?  Mind you... I only started playing a few weeks ago and my guitar is a week newer than I am... it seems my high E is still getting broken in as it tends to still go flat regularly (nylon strings). 

My guess is play till that frayed string either won't hold a note or breaks and then just change the one unless it'll make it a good few months then just change them all.  But... I'd rather have the opinions of you vetrans!  Thanks!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'd say change 'em once a month or so on a couple hrs a day...maybe even a little more often. As you get more into it you'll be able to tell when they need changing; they get flat or dull (for lack of better words). If you're having trouble with a particular string always fraying or breaking this may be a sympton of another problem. You may want to look at the nut (thing the strings pass through before the headstock). If it's not smooth sometimes that'll cause a string to wear or fray prematurely. Just a thought. It's OK to change just one....no law against it but it seems alamost as much effort to change one as all so you may just want to change 'em all.

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

As you get more into it you'll be able to tell when they need changing; they get flat or dull (for lack of better words).

That's my benchmark, the sound. I find that my strings will "settle in" and get rock-solid on pitch for a while, then as they dull down in tone they will start drifting again, causing me to tune more frequently while playing. Before it turns into a nuisance, I rack up a new set.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Rather than use a plier or a bridge pin puller. With your strings slack , push the string down the hole that the bridge pin is in and the pin will release and you can pull them out with your fingers, most of the time smile

Later, Wayne P

just changed my own strings for the first time. It's not too hard.  bought a winder tool that came in handy for pulling pegs, and tuned the strings before I started and as I progressed, string by string. didn't know I needed to change them until a good friend, and guitar virtuoso informed me that my strings were "dead". When I played the new strings, side by side with the old strings, I could tell the difference immediately.  definitely get the winder tool.  it's worth the $$. About $15 or so.

Locking tuners have made me WAY lazy!
The last time I changed strings on my acoustic I almost got over-frustrated. I had forgotten how involved changing strings on my acoustic was since I've been playing my electric primarily.

Needless to say, I'm looking for locking tuners for my acoustic...lol.
I know...lazy....

=\
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Hi Mekidsmom,

Noticed your post about Nylon strings and have a thought to share.  I also have a "classical" guitar in the arsenal, and would get about three months on a set of strings (when I was playing it regularly) at about three hours a day.  You didn't say if you are using a pick though, and some picks are tougher than the strings and can wear them out early.  Always using fingers myself, fraying was never a problem.  As to your high E going out of tune...  is it possible that the knot at the bridge is slipping?  Getting the unwound strings to hold firmly at the bridge can be a problem on some instruments, and the same holds true up at the tuners.  I found it helpful to add another twist to the knot on the G B E strings after I had some slippage troubles.  Once again there is a good tutorial on the Taylor website and their method seems to work well for me the last couple of times I restrung.

Don't play the old thing as much anymore, but do really like the mellow tone for some tunes, it spends most of it's life hanging on the wall of the music room in a gig-bag waiting it's turn.  Now I'm feeling guilty and simply MUST give it a little attention.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug for the insight!  I am mostly using fingers... but I do use my nails in lieu of a pick sometimes with a couple "heavier" songs to get a different sound.  Good to know everyone's opinion on a timeline.  I think my high E was just still getting stretched out well.. it's good now.  Took a few weeks.  I think I frayed that G string because I went from a steel string to the nylon... fretting "too" hard on the nylon is my theory on why I have the fraying. 

I love this site.  Everyone has given lots of good advise to myself and in answer to Seslo's original post.  Awesome.  When I get to the point of actually changing my strings the first time I'll be sure to share my journey.  I'm expecting it's going to be an interesting task with the nylon.

My son changed 2 of his strings on his steel string himself the other day.  He came to me for help... I told him to go to the Taylor website!  LOL!  He did fairly well... but he thinks it looks pretty cool to leave the long ends hanging off and not trim them.  I think it looks like a trip to the eye doctor!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

22 (edited by ozymandias 2009-10-12 23:37:19)

I change my strings every 3 months.  And I usually take all the old strings off at once and put the new ones on in order from the heavy E string to the lighter e string.  Thats the way my teacher taught me and I can do it fairly easily.  As for the pins that hold the strings at the bottom, once I have all the old strings down it's easier to push them up from below if they get a bit sticky.  I also use a manual string winder just to make the job a bit faster.  My teacher can do it in 15 minutes or less.  It takes me at least 30-45 minutes.  But the sound of new strings is well worth the effort and practice.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi Mom, if you have a frayed string, then I think it might be better to replace all four of the wound strings, if not all six, as the new string will sound nice and bright against the older strings which will sound flatter or duller. Restringing a guitar is almost as painfull as going to the dentist, but it is a must do.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

24 (edited by Riverdales 2009-10-13 17:02:04)

I play pretty much everday and have been playing for two years now, I can now hear when the strings just sound dull instead bright and punchy, that's how I know it's time to change the strings. I usually change two strings at a time, low E and the A etc,etc.. I do this so That I can clean the fret board along the frets and inbetween each fret, to get rid of some of that gunk that can build up over time on the fretboard. Usually when I change my strings (usually every month, unless money is tight, every two months), I take this time to give my guitar a real thorough cleaning and then a good polishing. It feels awesome to play with new strings and a super clean and shiny guitar. Well that got me excited, I'm gonna go play my guitar now see ya!! And keep on rockin' \m/ .

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

mekidsmom wrote:

.. but he thinks it looks pretty cool to leave the long ends hanging off and not trim them.  I think it looks like a trip to the eye doctor!

I know a few guitar players who don't trim them but coil the strings into loops about 2-3" across and wind them around themselves as you coil - keeps them under control, and eliminates putting your eye out.

I do the same thing with my uke, because I had a string break once at the bridge. I can just re-knot and pull enough string out of the coil to let me hook back up and keep playing.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.