Topic: Need a little product help

A month or so ago I asked for help in figuring out how to know whether my four track Tascam tape recorder was damaged in our flood.  It was.  I think this is the replacement for it:  http://www.music123.com/Tascam-DP-004-P … .Music123. 

Can anyone here tell me whether this thing will allow me to hook up microphones and instruments, mix them, and send the output to my computer for recording - maybe with Cakewalk or Audacity or whatever Tascam provides in the box? 

Insurance is paying - but only for an appropriate replacement to what was damaged.  What was damaged is the classic Tascam Porta-Sound four track cassette recorder.  I think this device is an appropriate and fair replacement to claim on my insurance.  But I'm clueless, so I turn to you erudite gurus to help elucidate this novice plucker.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Need a little product help

Hi Zurf,  I know zero about recording so I couldn't possibly begin to answer your question, but I think there's something wrong with your link.   Is this the one that you have in mind? http://www.music123.com/Tascam-DP-004-P … 7.Music123

-RS

It's a nice piece of kit Zurf. It will do what you want. The mics must have 1/4" jack connecters.
After you have mixed down on the Tascam you will have the song recorded on its memory (SD) card.
You can connect the Tascam to your computer via the USB cable and transfer the song from there to your computer software.
If your computer has a card reader you can take the card out of the Tascam and plug it into the computer.
What you won't ever need to do is play the mix from the Tascam through the computers mic input and record it that way, as the song will already be digitally recorded on the memory card. This is the advantage of memory card over cassette tape.
I've been thinking of getting one myself.

That's a pretty neat unit. If you need a replacement unit, I can't see how your insurance company could say no.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks Restlessspirit - that is the very one. 

Thanks Stonebridge - it's what I needed to know.  It looks like they don't do the four track on cassette any longer, and so I have to pick something that is an appropriate current replacement unit.   I had a Tascam trainer ruined too, and it looks like the current trainers now use MP3 rather than CD's. 

Geoaguiar - It's kind of fun spending someone else's money. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf if you get this and need software the audacity program is free and easy to use and it will make mp3's so you can upload and let us listen if you need any help with the program let me know smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

7 (edited by geoaguiar 2009-09-25 18:39:56)

Zurf wrote:

Geoaguiar - It's kind of fun spending someone else's money. 

- Zurf

I guess that's why my wife is so happy all the time big_smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf if you get this and need software the audacity program is free and easy to use and it will make mp3's so you can upload and let us listen if you need any help with the program let me know smile

I sent you one recording my buddy did for me.  From that, you can tell that especially my singing needs me to get the practice of hearing myself.  That's what I'm hoping to do - record myself for "playback and review" for exactly the same reasons sports teams do it.  Whether I want to let y'all hear - not so sure.  But Chordie is such a 'safe place' filled with such good people that even if I did publish something in all it's deafening glory all I'd get is encouragement to keep on trying and some gently given advice on how to improve. 

- Zurf

Ha Zurf soaz!

From what you say I think the answer to your question is "No!" based on the fact that it only has 2 inputs (and on 1/4" jack AND they're unbalanced)

Yes you will be able to record on that, mix on that (although most mixer functions are software rather than hardware i.e. menu driven) and/or import to computer for further processing (mixing)/all processing, but you will only be able to get 2 signals at a time (i.e. 2 mics or 2 guitars or 1 mic and 1 guitar). The balanced thing is not an issue for many, but this thing is designed more as a rough notepad than an attempt at a semi-serious recording tool.

The Behringer Xenyx mixer I recommended a while back will only be able to send 2 signals at a time to go to your computer, BUT all inputs will be balanced connectors and you will have a fully functioning mixer. I'm basing this on what you said you wanted in your earlier post and the fact that to do all you want will require an up grade of EVERYTHING rather than using/integrating this Tascam unit into your future set-up.

Balanced signals: When you look at an XLR connector on a Mic it has 3 connector pins (the plugs on the ends of the lead have 3 corresponding pins or holes depending on which end.) 1 pin takes the earth, the other 2 both take the same signal but 1 pin/wire is "Phase Inverted" or "flipped over" so that if you were to look at a graph of the signal where + (positive/original signal) is going up the - (negative/phase reversed signal) is going down in the exact opposite way.

If you were to play the original signal through one speaker and the phase reversed signal through another speaker, when the 2 soundwaves met they would cancel each other out leaving silence; the same would happen in your mixer or your computer.

The beauty of this situation is that any noise picked up on the cable's travel will be the same phase on both the + and - so when it gets to the mixer and the - signal is flipped back and added to the original + signal, the noise becomes phase reversed/inverted and the 2 signals cancel each other out leaving you with a clean noise-free signal!

Hope this helps and remeber that shops want to make a sale, Chordians want to steer you right!!!

PS Tascam/TEAC products are superb, I own a DA 38 and it has always given me broadcast quality results!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Kaji, as Zurf's original Tascam 4-track tape recorder was fine for his needs, including the mic inputs etc, then this one, which is exactly the same thing but with digital recording on to SD rather than tape, will also be fine. I'm almost certain of that.

I agree with Stonebridge keep it simple and easy to use as a persons knowledge increases with experience upgrading is a option however I have been useing the same recorder for over 12 years and still discovering new tecniques to use and improve the end result smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Fear not Kajima - that is an entirely different aspect to what it going on. 

I have a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that has been ruined when the basement was flooded.  Almost all of my kid's toys among them.  They didn't do a good job of putting them away before we left, and their play area was in the hardest hit part of the house.  Do you think they learned a lesson about putting their toys away?  Me either.  Anyway, my 4 track recorder was put away in the box on the bottom shelf of a bookcase.  It was partially submerged, which in general is bad for electronic things.  Being submerged in water that's picked up oil other gloober from the floor and then had dry wall stuff mixed in with it from the fallen ceiling is not good for tape heads.  So, I've got the four track recorder to replace.  But the Xenyx thingy is meant for a stage!  We're hoping to put a stage into the family room.  I think that will be cool.  The little recorder thingy will be for my office where I can screw around with stuff and see how it sounds and try to train my voice, and the Xenyx thingy (or whatever I wind up with but that one's looking really good) will be for the stage.  All is not lost!  Actually, a whole lot is lost, but your advice is not among it. 

I don't know what I'm really going to wind up with.  If I do everything I would like, I'll wind up with a really, really cool basement in a house that I will have to immediately sell to cover the credit card payments.  So, I will (eventually) have to prioritize.  Right now, I'm gathering data and information and may wind up with an entirely different solution in the end. 

- Zurf

Hi Zurf
I agree your thoughts for a modern replacement for Tascam recorder as sound. The Tsacam can also be used as an interface for a guitar and mic for simple recordings using Audacity software which is a simple way to record directly to your PC and converting to an MP3 for uploading to website.
If moneys tight then you could just replace your old Tascam with a similar one from ebay there's lots on there. I did myself and works ok for me.
Just my thoughts
ark

Thanks Arkady.  Money is tight, but for this I can spend the insurance company's money, which is nice.  My policy pays for replacement, so I'll be able to buy new.  It'll cost me money initially, but I'll be able to claim it and the insurance company has been good about approving my claims.  I am an administrator for a living, so I guess my supporting documentation is up to snuff.   

- Zurf

Ha Zurf soaz!

I still think if you are getting less than what your 4 track would do something is amiss.

As technology has moved on and other technologies have been abandoned there is a plethora of units which will purport to be able to do what your Portastudio did and other things that it could never dream of doing.

This unit will record 4 tracks simultaneously, only to get 4 tracks at once requires using the built-in mics. It has balanced inputs, internal effects and mixing, a wire to connect to your computer, a copy of Cubase LE to do more than 4 track projects in your computer and it works as an audio interface (soundcard) to your computer.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/prod … rodID=1994

With the choice of either, I'd get the Zoom!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

The Zoom H4n costs nearly twice as much as the Tascam. I'm guessing that the insurance company will only pay for the Tascam, as that is the nearest replacement to the old 4 track. The H4n is higher specification, so Zurf will have to pay the difference if he wants one of those. So it's not going to be a straight choice.
Zoom stuff is excellent. I bought a H2 the other day (similar to the H4 but fewer features) and am very pleased. It is perfect for 2-track stand alone stereo recording.

cool