Topic: Classical guitar

Could any classical guitarists on here tell me if it is possible to teach yourself classical guitar to a good standard or is it better to go to a tutor.

I am using what I think is a really good book "The complete Classical guitarist" by Jerry Willard which comes with a cd and free pc downloads for extra tuition and excercises, which I am getting on well with so far but it is very much early days.

My classical guitar is a Tanglewood Tsc 110 which I find really nice to play.

I have been told that tutors are expensive and anyway the stuff you are given you learn mostly at home on your own, I just don't want to give someone lots of money  just to be teaching myself anyway, what are your experiences of having a tutor, or just yourself ?

Re: Classical guitar

I never had a propper teacher, but I will this fall. If you are doing well with your current set up then keep with it. you are right, most of the work is done at home. it isn't because teachers are lazy or evil and trying to get rich for nothing but if you are paying by the hour, do you really want to pay someone to sit and watch you practice a Bb minor scale for 3 hours? If you can afford it I think you should take the lessons (Books and CDs don't give you feed back) and continue with your self teaching and maybe find a friend who plays to work with as well. Good luck!!!!

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

I used to teach myself classical guitar, and I used The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method which worked really well for me. I've never seen the book you used, so I not sure how it compares but I think that this one was pretty good.

i take weekly half hour lessons that i find very beneficial.  just make sure you get a teacher that knows what they're doing. classical guitar (depending on what you play) can get kind of tricky and a tutor can help find little "loopholes" so to speak that can make a peice easier such as barring on a certain fret, or just arpeggiating a cord. teachers can also suggest certain exercises and things to practice to improve your playing.

Good Luck!

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥