Topic: Polished frets?

I have an Epiphone Dot, which I love, but the frets feel rough. Not like they stick over the edge of the fretboard. Its when you bend a note. It feels as if someone has taken rough sand paper and sanded the frets in the direction of the bridge to nut. I've heard of people polishing the frets before. I'm a toolmaker and polishing to me may mean something different than polishing means to you. When people say they "polish the frets" does that mean they took a rag and rubbed on the frets or does it mean what polishing means to a toolmaker. Start with a coarse grit sandpaper and then a little finer and then a little finer and then use a felt bob in a rotary tool like a dremel with some polishing compound or diamond compound and polish to a mirror finish? If that is what needs to be done, what precautions do I need to take not to damage the wood on the fretboard? Should I mask off the wood with some masking tape? What should I use to remove the goo that the tape would leave behind? Do you use sandpaper, a stone or steel wool? What grit or grades?

Re: Polished frets?

Hi Craig23,

You likely have the right idea with the toolmaker's concept, however in the arsenal of lutherie there is this neat little tool called a fret dressing tool.  Think like a concave fine file that is used to shape the profile of the tops of the fret wires to a uniform rounded shape.
  I've seen them in various "grits" right down to diamond impregnated to essentially polish out rough places that may have been a result of hammering or pressing the wires into their grooves.  You  could gently buff out those rough spots with a very fine emery, but stand a good chance of flattening out the crown of the wire.  Masking would be recommended in any case and a bit of rubbing alcohol will remove any glue residue, and then a light application of lemon or orange oil to replace oils removed from the wood while cleaning.
  If you are up to doing the job yourself, you can order tools from Stewmac.com  but you might be better to just have it done as you will have to recheck and dress any frets that are proud during the process and then readjust the neck to compensate for any loss of height you may have reduced by filing.

Hope that helps a bit.  Good question though!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug! It always scares me to work on my guitars. I've been playing for 28 years and don't know how to do anything but change strings. But tomorrow I'll go to work and make very fine precise adjustments to someones half a million dollar piece of machinery and won't even give it a second thought.

Hi Craig,

Been away for a few days but wanted to get back to you on this.  It sounds like you have the skill set to be up to doing these kinds of things yourself.  A couple of essential tools, patience and a good eye for detail is the main requirement.  There are a few videos on Youtube that can give you an idea of the process, so if you've the inclination and time to do it right, the results can be rewarding not only from the monetary savings, but from knowing that you didn't toss out funds to have it done "half-fast".  I've found some good references in my local library on the art of Lutherie, done a bit of my own repairs and some for others, but even through that, there are some interesting aspects to instrument design, woods, finishes and repairs.... well worth the time reading.

Take Care;
Doug

Right after I read your first post Doug, I checked a few videos on youtube. You know, nobody knows everything so I just wonder who has the right technique, who's advice you can really use. In my field of work I've come to learn even if ten people tell you the same thing it doesn't mean it exactly true. I've had my dearly beloved Strat "professionally" set-up and hated the results. First off, after having to leave "Blondie" for a WEEK, I don't think the guy did anything. He said the nut was loose and glued it down. Yeah, and smeared super glue all over the back of the neck. He recommended I change the brand of strings that I have used (for years because they are good strings) to some brand that I had never heard of. They had uneven windings and were rusty. I don't know what else he did but it has never seemed the same. Like a girlfriend that has cheated on you. Only thing is I'm the one who sent her out. Checked out stewmac.com too. WOW, I love tools. Stewmac got tools. I'm overwhelmed by the variety though. I think I'll polish them up, but other than that I'll need a lot more research. I definitely will not be sending my guitars out for maintainance anymore though.

Good for you Craig!

Yeah, been there too.... Like they say a little knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands, but in the right ones it is magic!  Been doing my own setups for years, and although it might take me all afternoon to get things exactly where I want them... they are exactly where I want them not the way the guy at the store likes them.  Saves a few bucks along the way, and early in I wound up re-doing (or rather un-doing), but learned much in the process.  A little research, a little planning, a few tools and a little time invested makes the final results very satisfying.

Take Care;
  Doug

Okay, you guys have officially scared me away from getting my guitar set-up by a "Professional". I'll save my money and figure it out for myself. And if I need new frets I'll buy em already on a NEW WARMOTH NECK!

Mwahahahahaahah!!!!

>=D
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Not all "professionals" are bad, DM, but I would certainly take some time and get to know who was doing the work, and check out some of their finished pieces before submitting my axe to their tender ministrations. hmm

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Yeah  no kidding. I've had my old beater set up by some guy in town, who took two days longer than he said he would ( I needed it for a gig) and it turned out crap. I did it myself at 13 years old and like it better!!!! LOL

Linus just gave me a great idea! As soon as he mentioned "beater". Maybe we all have a "beater" lying around. Mess up the intonation a bit and give it to our prospective set-up guy and give him a real test.

craig23 wrote:

Linus just gave me a great idea! As soon as he mentioned "beater". Maybe we all have a "beater" lying around. Mess up the intonation a bit and give it to our prospective set-up guy and give him a real test.

You know..that's a great idea!
I don't know if the wife will agree with having the "Beater" setup as a test though....lol.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Okay, you guys have officially scared me away from getting my guitar set-up by a "Professional". I'll save my money and figure it out for myself. And if I need new frets I'll buy em already on a NEW WARMOTH NECK!

Mwahahahahaahah!!!!

>=D
Dm

Det,

Warmouth necks are good but you still sometimes have to level the frets. There made and quality checked but you still have to do some minor, little if any to get them right.  Still a good product.

Regards,

Bootlegger.

craig23 wrote:

I have an Epiphone Dot, which I love, but the frets feel rough. Not like they stick over the edge of the fretboard. Its when you bend a note. It feels as if someone has taken rough sand paper and sanded the frets in the direction of the bridge to nut. I've heard of people polishing the frets before. I'm a toolmaker and polishing to me may mean something different than polishing means to you. When people say they "polish the frets" does that mean they took a rag and rubbed on the frets or does it mean what polishing means to a toolmaker. Start with a coarse grit sandpaper and then a little finer and then a little finer and then use a felt bob in a rotary tool like a dremel with some polishing compound or diamond compound and polish to a mirror finish? If that is what needs to be done, what precautions do I need to take not to damage the wood on the fretboard? Should I mask off the wood with some masking tape? What should I use to remove the goo that the tape would leave behind? Do you use sandpaper, a stone or steel wool? What grit or grades?

Craig,

I've been away longer than Doug but I think you are confusing two diffrent processes.  Polishing frets and crowning (milling)frets. Polishing frets I use a thin piece of cardboard with copper shielding tape over it and a slot cut in the size and shape of the fret. Tape of the fingerboard with blue painters tape (it don't leave gum residue on the fingerboard) then with 0000 steel wool polish your frets. The second requires fret files and a radius block with various grits of sand paper. You seen the videos you know the steps. Hope this clears your sight a little.

Regards,

Bootlegger,
Bootlegger guitars.