Topic: New bridge installed...

Okay, it's done.

Finished around 10:00 pm last night. Started work on it at 7pm.
Measured accurately and took the opportunity to correct the improper positioning of the prior 6-saddle bridge, which placed the high-e string right on the edge of the frets making it slide off the fretboard far too easily.

Screwed down the new bridge after stringing the high and low e strings for accuracy and evenness. Put on a new set of strings and adjusted action to proper heights. Then tuned and intonated 3 times for accuracy.

Even without plugging in the guitar it was already far more resonant than the old 6-saddle bridge. I also didn't have to intonate 6 individual saddle screws. Only did it 3 times per bridge intonation thanks to the lovely compensated brass saddles (1 screw = 2 strings)

Now my '51 is THAT much closer to a tele and I'm LOVING IT!!!!

Pics to follow...(as soon as I can stop playing it...)

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: New bridge installed...

Can't wait to see the pics! Sounds like a great project! Is that the old style telly bridge with three brass saddles?

I've got an old Peavey Nitro parts guitar that I'm going to rebuild...it had one humbucking in the bridge and part of the Kahler tremelo missing... thinking about plugging the bridge cavity with solid hardwood and then installing a fixed bridge of some sort. Maybe a hardtail strat bridge?

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hey Jaygordon!
yes, it's the 3 saddle tele style bridge and it sounds soooo good!!

Here are some pics. I will upload an audio file eventually when I find some free time.

http://i38.tinypic.com/effdjr.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/ak92e8.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2ykxved.jpg

The guitar sounds GREAT!! No more death-rattle in the saddles.
No more shifting saddle screws!! No more unpredictable rattling when I palm mute at the bridge! And the guitar actually has more sustain and it sounds mellower. The old bridge had this really harsh trebly sound that I had to compensate for by turning my treble down on my amp. These saddles make the tone more mellow and adds a softness to the sound. I really like it a lot. This bridge is also more comfortable to my hand when I palm mute.

Now all I have left to do is get my frets crowned, polished and levelled and I'm set!!

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Wow! I really like that!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thank you! It's like a new guitar!

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle