Topic: Bad Busking Experience

About two weeks ago, I went busking. I usually go on Sundays, and normally I rack up about $50 for an hours worth of playing. This time I was there for three hours and it started raining.
I made 10 dollars, even though there was about 150 people around.
I was left feeling awful about myself, and my skill as a guitar player. Anyone had a worse time than me busking?

2 (edited by dino48 2009-10-11 02:51:58)

Re: Bad Busking Experience

Hi david 137, I have never done that myself but I live a little ways from san francisco ca. and they do it on the wharf areas they seem to get alot of money,but with the holidays and the economy the way it is I think people are holding on too there money more. Iknow for a fact that people are not giving nearly as much money to charities right now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi David,  Don't let it get you down brother!

There is always an up side.... nobody offered to pay you to stop did they?  Then you were alright!  I'm with Dino, the pinch is on and especially with the Holidays just around the corner folks are hanging on to their nickles and dimes a little tighter.

Cheers;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

David dont let it get you down I speak from experience there have been times when I made nothing just consider the day, it was most likely overcast and not a lot of folks are in a cheerful mood on a day like that but there's always tomorrow unless we get hit by a rouge comet or asteroid smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I busked for 4 years (NOT with guitar! big_smile ) and had good days and bad... it happens. Get back out there and strum up some business! The number of people present does not necessarily dictate the size of your "take" at the end of the day.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Ha David 137! cool

Sorry to get to this post so late, but it's one close to my history! (Heart aint the right word!)

To play in front of strangers in a place where people haven't come to hear/see you is no easy thing. You are already doing something that over 95% of people couldn't do (or don't have the stone ones to do!) and that's 95% of people that have, or wish they had, a talent they could earn money from!

I don't care if you're Eric Clapton in disguise, 150 people is NOT a big enough crowd to get an income from the 5% - 20% that will dip; rain is not a good enough environment to get people to slow down long enough to think about grabbing some money - physically! they're more worried about getting out of it (the rain NOT 4:20!) aside from the fact that it affects peoples' mood thus generosity.

Your ability as a guitar player? Don't take this the wrong way, but busking has little to do with talent and lots to do with stone ones and what you play/how you play it. If you take your financial success as a yardstick to your talent as a musician, then there are an awful lot of musicians who you wouldn't want to stop and listen to who are better than you - I mean by this that they know how to earn good money, but I'm willing to bet you could wipe the floor with them as a musician!!! cool

The only time to think about giving up busking is if it impedes on your social life; a bad days takings? Par for the course mate!

What I'm trying to say is: Do not feel bad about yourself and your talent ability as a musician and if rain impedes your takings learn some songs/choons that bring the sun out in peoples' hearts!

Keep going mate! You are part of an elite!!! cool !

Chons da!!!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Kajima is right. It's a show you offer that may or may not appeal to folks nearby. Sounds like you have a good show.
A rough gig is like a rodeo rider getting bucked off.
You gotta get right back on or fear may set in.
A dead crowd tends to make us feel inadequate but that is never the case. When things slow up do your tried and true material. If that doesn't get 'em then they don't deserve entertaining or the moon is in the wrong phase.
I'll never forget our dance club gig where the joint was packed and people clapped after every song but not one soul got up to dance from 9 P.M.thru midnight. The dance floor was a vast wasteland.
We took a break and walked outside and saw an eclipse of the moon. After the eclipse we got back up and played and the dance floor was jam packed with people dancing their selves silly until well past 2 A.M.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I think anyone that has ever busked has had bad days at it... Even if the performance is good sometimes people just don't tip. Never take it personally smile  I play on the beach a lot and sometimes I'll open the case if there are people stopping to listen. Sometimes it pays off well and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the crowd. I do have a sign taped to the inside top of my case that says... "Think I suck? Tip and help me pay for lessons smile " That sems to help wink people will smile when reading it and usually throw out a little. Hopefully it's because of the humor and not the need for lessons lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

I think anyone that has ever busked has had bad days at it... Even if the performance is good sometimes people just don't tip. Never take it personally smile  I play on the beach a lot and sometimes I'll open the case if there are people stopping to listen. Sometimes it pays off well and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the crowd. I do have a sign taped to the inside top of my case that says... "Think I suck? Tip and help me pay for lessons smile " That sems to help wink people will smile when reading it and usually throw out a little. Hopefully it's because of the humor and not the need for lessons lol

I like that Pix!  If I heard someone that sucked and had that sign, I prolly would not tip yet just keep on walking... but if they were good, I'd appreciate the humor and it would lead me to tip to give me reason to get close enough to say a nice comment!

I think if you're busking, then it's awesome regardless of money you do or don't make!  It's great that you're interested in giving a try at letting others hear your music!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.