Topic: Cheap guitar vs expensive

I have come to the conclusion that it makes no difference what price I pay for a guitar. I still manage to sound like crap. I was into a music store last week and played some $2500 Gibsons and a $148.00 Epi. SG I liked the Epi better. Go figure. I am tempted to buy one, although I probably would not use it enough to warrant owning one. The action was great and it just felt and looked good. Anyone have any experience with these. Any good or a piece of crap?

Re: Cheap guitar vs expensive

I actually had an Epi SG Special in last week for a set up. This was the basic model that a friend bought for about $175. Overall I was very impressed with it for the $$. There were some sharp fret ends and I had to level a few others and adjust the pickups and such but after all was said and done it played and sounded really good.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Personally I think that a lot of expensive high end guitars are over rated. Take a lot of the new Martins, yes they have a AAA spruce top but the rest of the body is HLP (High Pressure Laminate) which means although it is (or was) wood you have no idea what kind. If I'm paying $2500 for an acoustic I want the real deal. My son has a Epi Les Paul Special that I got him for X-mas that plays as well as a friend of mines Gibson. I have a Rogue Strat copy that sounds great, I had to do a little fret work and adjust the intonation but I have a guitar that I have received many compliments on and payed less than $200 for.My advice is if you find a guitar that fits your budget and it sounds good and plays well, buy it. Even if you have to do a little tweaking to frets or pickups or action  it will usually be worth it in the long run

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Not a thing wrong with a cheap guitar if it sounds good and does what you want it to do... I have a Dan Electro that I paid $75 dollars for at a guitar show several years ago...a dealer was getting rid of inventory and my daughter thought it was a cool guitar. Once we played it we were hooked... the silly thing sounds great and plays well...took a while to get it properly set up and it's cheaply built, but we love it!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Every guitar is different. Here's what I do:
1. determine your budget
2. head off to your local chain store and play as many guitars as you can ignoring brand/price
3. narrow it down to 5 of what you feel are the best.
4. look at the labels
5. select the 1 that fits your budget (hopefully one of them does)
6. leave the chain store and go to your local shop and ask them if they can match the price
7. buy it from the local guy if he's close as the chains SUCK!!!!!

Works everytime.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I have the Epi Dot - their version of the Gibson 335 - the price difference is substantial:
$550 vs $2500 (Cdn).

I bought an older model on Ebay for only $330 (SKB case included!) and the guitar plays great - the only change was new pups - the originals were muddy (common issue with Epi).

Considering the price, and you loved how that SG played - I would say you know what you should do.

Just make sure you play it - and it will always be a bargain!

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

This is a quit complex problem, you "might" hear a difference between a stratocaster MIM versus MIA.
If you work with effect floor boards or a "modelling amp" (I have a Fender cybertwin) and that amp gives you in fact too many effects, the SIMILARITY will be less using a high volume and gain, but greater if you use NOT 1 effect, JUST PLUG AND PLAY.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

My sister became a nun and wanted a guitar to play hymns and singalongs. We found a cheap Kent guitar for $50 new in a pawn shop. It was cheaply made but played OK and held a tune.
She took the thing to Italy and played it for everyone. It got left out all night in a vineyard as well as many other unfortunate incidents. Ten years later it was still going strong and I assume the nuns are still enjoying it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

taylor 414ce with Ovangkol wood never heard of this wood but guitar sounds great  looking to buy any comments

Even the cheap ones can be made to play as nicely as the expensive ones if you get it fettled by a good luthier.  And replace the awful machine heads that seem to infect the cheapies...

I have cheap guitars My most expensive is a used 300 dollar Ibenez  electric (that went new for 600). I have a new Sierra acoustic that I love that retails for 425 I bought at show for 300 with gig bag and stand. I also have a 70's Peavey acoustic that I bought for $100 that I play quite a bit.
But to say that cheap guitars are as good as expensive guitars is not all together true.
Being expensive doesn't make it good but quality American made  instruments are going to cost more. It cost more to live in America to begin with. Beginning musicians don't tend to have the ear to hear most differences and good setup can minimize weaknesses. It also depends on what sound you want. Many a great bluesman started on a cigarbox guitar.
For me though if your paying more than 3000 dollars for high end materials and luthier work your paying for excessive flash or antique/collector value.

"Every shortcut is a toll road"

12 (edited by manicbassman 2009-10-24 17:40:01)

with the pound crashing against the Dollar and Euro, prices of new guitars has risen badly... even supposedly English makes (made in China really)... there's no way now I can afford a new Fender or Gibson... even secondhand Fenders & Gibsons have gone up in price...

so basically I don't have the luxury of choice anymore... I'm currently saving up to treat myself next birthday with a new Gretsch hollowbody with Bigsby...
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~nam … D~5334.asp

I had a play in my local shop and fell in love with it...

in order to even afford that, I'll have to trade in one or two of my other guitars...

I'll be sad to see my Tanglewood TH502 go (a Gibson ES335 clone)

I have an Ebony one of these (ivroid bindings, chrome hardware)
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_imag … 2be776.jpg

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

Hey manicbassman, What kind of stand is that acoustic Tanglewood bass on in your bass pic?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Hey manicbassman, What kind of stand is that acoustic Tanglewood bass on in your bass pic?

haven't a clue... there's no brand badge on it, just "Made in China". I got it because it folds up nicely, looks good and was cheap and actually in the shop when I was looking for a folding stand.

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]

My Wife bought me My Yamaha ERG121C for My Birthday last year.She got it from one of the shopping channels on our television. The guitar came as a starter package which included a gig bag, dvd tutor, strap,set of strings, an electronic tuner, a string winder and a Yamaha practice amp. The whole lot cost Her £160. Now, after carrying out some research into this guitar, I found that it wasnt held in high esteem and some even said it was complete trash. This was just the sort of thing that I didnt want to hear but to put it into context, The guitar package was aimed at total beginners and considering the cost of the package, I thought it was a good deal. Having had the guitar for over one year now I can only say that I love the thing to bits. Despite reports of the jack socket failing, etc, etc, it has never failed me and the only fault that I have found with it is that it doesnt hold its tuning too well. As I check the tuning each time I play, this is no great problem.I am planning to upgrade to a Baja Telecaster early next year but will keep My Yamaha as it has proved itself to be worth hanging on to. So, I would advise anyone planning to start playing the guitar, to disregard any advice on the net as the posters seem to be experienced pros who sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees. My Yamaha package was produced for beginners and it has served me well.

cheers.

george.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

manicbassman wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

haven't a clue... there's no brand badge on it, just "Made in China". I got it because it folds up nicely, looks good and was cheap and actually in the shop when I was looking for a folding stand.

OK, subsequently tracked it down:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-KWA-50- … 0012EK5CG/

although I don't remember paying that much for it...