Topic: What brand and thickness picks do you use?

It's something I never really thought about until now, I basically picked a pick on feel when I started learning the guitar and that what that, I did try a few different brands and thicknesses and eventually settled for the Dunlop Tortex, .50mm being the easiest for me to grip, I sometimes use a .80mm Tortex one too.  I ended up buying loads of the internet.

I've had a few different Dunlop picks here so I just started experimenting.  I tried some grey Dunlops, the ones with a bit of a raised grip at the thick end.  Now the .60mm grey one bends a lot easier than the Tortex .50mm which surprised me a little and it gives a dull, smooth sound which I don't particulalry like.  I'd rather the crisp sound I get with the Tortex where you can hear the picks hitting the individual strings as I strum?

Are there generally rules about the type of picks you should use for solo's, strumming, loud, quiet etc..

I often like to use the side of my thumb to play along alone quietly.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: What brand and thickness picks do you use?

I use the Dunlop Jazz3 picks (very thick) for lead and Tortex .50mm (small tear drop shape) for strumming

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I use the Dunlop tortex .50mm for strumming and a 1.0 tortoise shell for picking. The Dava control pick is another one i use that has the feel of a thin pick but the bite of a thick one.

I'm like you used to be.  I just hold it in my fingers and if it feels right, I buy it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jim Dunlop all the way;

Large plastic thumb picks, medium plastic finger picks, and .73 nylon flat picks.

Best picks on the market, in my humble opinion.........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

bensonp wrote:

I'm like you used to be.  I just hold it in my fingers and if it feels right, I buy it.

That's my system exactly.  And if I don't like the sound of it for that song, then I pick up a different one and try it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I use different picks depending on what I'm playing. If I'm strumming I use a Jim Dunlop .73 Nylon. If I'm doing a lot of lead runs with it or little riffs mixed with strumming I use Dunlop .73 Tortex to make those picked notes really stand out. If I'm playing something with real aggresive strumming I'll grab a Cat Tongue .60 purple pick. It really depends on the individual song though and the sound I'm going after.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Cheers all, good to see others like the tortex too, I can't be too far off the mark!

I use one called a Wedgie, 60mm. They have a very slight hollow for your thumb so that they are easier to grip. Works for me. It's hard to describe so here's a photo...

http://www.wedgie.com/picks.html

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

10 (edited by TarPaprShack 2009-10-21 19:01:53)

I have been using Clayton .80mm. not fancy just a white nylon pick. I mostly strum and it is firm enough if I do any picking.
I have also used a quarter (coin). I have thought of grinding a pick from a fity cent piece.

"Every shortcut is a toll road"

TarPaprShack wrote:

I have been using Clayton .80mm. not fancy just a white nylon pick. I mostly strum and it is firm enough if I do any picking.
I have also used a quarter (coin). I have thought of grinding a pick from a fity cent piece.

A quarter...for real. How many times a day do you change your strings?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Picks are something that I guess there is no particular right or wrong...just whatever works best. I've settled on a large heavy pick called "Dawg" picks...very popular with mandolin players. I can usually order those from Janet Davis music in Arkansas. A close copy is the D'Andrea 1.5 mm X-Heavy. I also use a heavy gauge thumb pick for fingerstyle playing as well...those I'll dip in boiling water to soften and shape to fit...

I've probably got several thousand picks that I've accumulated over the years...someday I'm going mount and frame them in a display for my music room.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi all!!!

I try various picks when I play.  I find myself going back to the Clayton "Spike" .73mm. I think the shape of it is what works for me. It has a sharper tip than most others I have.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Crevs -
Brain Picks for me with the "cat tongue" surface embossed on them.  Red .073" or Black .088" thick (for lead versus strumming).  The plastic isn't as hard as some, but I haven't found anything as agile.
Steve

Wow there's alot of Dunlop fans here, myself included big_smile
I use the the .63 grips, or the orange ones, which I'm not sure what to call because by the time I inherited my two the paint had been worn off through use. Now the tip's broken off too, but its still my favorite. I know it was pretty thin.

I prefer the thinner picks, but I haven't developed a preference for any particular brand(s).  As long as they have the right "feel", I'll buy them.  I'm currently using the Fendor thin picks, but with so many Dunlop fans posting in this thread, I may have to give some of those Dunlop picks try ...LOL.

Taylor 314CE, Ovation Elite L718, Cortez 12-string acoustic, Fender Stratocaster, Kala Makala MK-T Uke
Fender Champion 20 Amp, Acoustic AG15 Amp
Line 6 Relay G10 Wireless Guitar System
ToneWood Amp

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Jim Dunlop all the way;

Large plastic thumb picks, medium plastic finger picks, and .73 nylon flat picks.

Best picks on the market, in my humble opinion.........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

I'm with Paw (how ya doing bud!) I use either Dunlop .73 or .88 gauge, I attack acoustics the same way I play electrics when I laying down a lead. At the same time I am also a finess player (I know oxymoron or moron being oxy).

Regards,

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

Dunlop Tortex, I love the finish and feel. I play Uke, so I'm using a bit thinner gauge than most of you! big_smile

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

I also have quite a lot of plectrums here. My favourite  to use is Dunlop nylon. 46 mm.
Some say " Its to fine, but i like the sound it gives.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

If I don't need the volume I prefer to go Bare Naked smile    If I need to be heard I use thumbpicks

Later, Wayne P

I started out with the grey dunlop .60mm picks because that is what Adam Jones used.
Then I thought I'd try something stiffer and got a Jazz3 pick...which I couldnt stand for strumming.
Then I was given a .63mm teardrop pick that I don't know the name of that is made out of this super slick plastic that flexes but is GREAT for lead. I use it sparingly because I don't want to use it up and not have it.
So...then I got a V-Pick (Small & thin) which is made of acrylic with shaping on the edges. The V-pick was GREAT for lead but horrible for strumming on a guitar with low action (for me anyway).

So....now I'm back where I started out at with my Grey Dunlop .60mm picks and they work great for everything!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

TarPaprShack wrote:

Clayton!!! Thats the name of the pick I was given!!!!
Thank you!!!

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

My first name (although I'm known by my middle name Ryan).  I'll keep my eyes open for them.

i just ran across a new pick it is called a "pointlesspick" at a music festival and it seems to be great for slow ballads and the old rock and roll not much on the bluegrass picking but it sure stays in your fingers
i always carry a pocket full of picks it depends what i am playing as to which i will use
'

always pickin someting

Usually Fender .60mm T/M, but anything in reach usually works for me. tongue