Topic: Hi to all !

Newbie "gag1951" here just to say hello. At the moment I am learning to play and have mastered a few chords on my Yamaha erg121c. The Mrs. bought me the guitar for my birthday last year and I am planning to upgrade to a baja telecaster early in 2010. The Son has a Gibson Les Paul and he is keeping me right at the moment ! Great to be a member of this forum and look forward to many happy times here.

Cheers.

gag1951

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Hi to all !

Welcome gag1951.  Great to have you here.  You'll find a lot that will help you through the learning curve here.  Come back often.  There are lots of good people here.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Wecome to Chordie gag you came to the right place to get some tips good luck with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Howdy gag1951, welcome to chordie! Folks from the world over are members here, where do you call home?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys ! I live in Amble which is in Northumberland, England. I used to drum in a band many moons ago but always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Im well pleased with my progress and have learned a lot already from the tabs/chords pages on Chordie. What a great feeling when the chords come together and I actually recognise the song I am learning ! I should have done this years ago but never mind, 58 years of age isnt too late to start. My Son and I have already been asked to do a few numbers for a local charity when they hold their fundraising night next March so its practice, practice, practice from now on. My fingertips are just starting to harden up and practice isnt as painful now ! I know Im going to be made welcome on the site and look forward to getting all the tips I can from you guys !

Thanks Again,

George.

Hello George, Welcome Aboard!

Only 58 huh? It is never, never, never......NEVER too late to pick up a musical instrument.  Sadly now you are "hooked" and if you are like many of us, they'll have to pry our cold dead fingers off the thing.  I'm seriously thinking about putting in my will that my ashes be dumped into the body of my guitar and placed in it's case, buried together..... would save a ton on funeral expense and don't have to dig as big a hole! 

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I thought the 1951 meant your birth date.  Same as mine.  We will never give up, no matter how old we are.  Good luck

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Cheers Lads ! great to be here.

thanks.

george.

Welcome to the forum George... and also to you basuoct282!  This is a great forum to get help, share, and make some guitar friends!  Enjoy!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

hey!Great forum here. I've had a laptop for almost 5 years but really not into chats-etc. Am looking into Jamplay, but some of my questions might be answered here and possibly I can contribute also. Been playing since "1980", but never knew what the hell I was doing untill 2 yrs go when lead playing became an obssession. Need the light bulb to come on to play the correct scales for improvising over progessions and more. Anyway I'm glad you guys and gals are out there.

Our intuitions serve us well

Santa Claus forever ! Well, I was in my local guitar shop a few weeks ago just having a good old chat when Mick, (shop owner), asks me if I was still interested in a Telecaster. I says "Yes, why you asking ?". Mick says that he wants to show me something (!). We go through to the back of the shop and he shows me a Mexican Strat, deluxe model special edition, in pearl white ! Anyway, to cut a long story short, its now sitting on its stand in my bedroom having been delivered by Santa Claus via my Wife! Yipeeeeeeeeee !

cheers.
gag.

1951, A VERY GOOD YEAR!

NELA

Hi gag,glad to see you on the siteI am almost 3 years older then you but I have been playing since I was fourteen,it is never to late to start playing.keep it up. I own a mexican stratocaster and I love it,I have had it for eight years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

HE 1955 was even better.
Since I am retired..... olé olé

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi gag & welcome. I see that Mickey Rooney is back in panto at the age of 88, so it's never too late!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone ! Ive got about 6 songs just about perfected now thanks to this site and the members. The new Strat is great and im on it every chance I get.The next item I plan to buy is a decent amp as Im using a Yamaha practice amp at the moment. I plan to do some gigs with my Son for various charities this year. The gigs will be in small venues so I reckon I need something around 30w/50w/65w. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ! By the way, Happy New Year to YOU ALL !!!!!!!  gag.

Another n00b says "hello all".
& Happy New Year.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Welcome to the forum Gag and Joe. I'm sure you both will add alot to the group on here.
Gag as for the amp you might want to look into at least a 40 watt tube amp or a 75 to 100 watt if you get solid state for small gigs especially if there is a drummer in the mix and congrats on the Strat.:)

Cheers dfoskey ! I was thinking a while ago to go for a Marshall set-up but thought it might be a bit too big for small venues. Its a good point of yours though my friend regarding a drummer. Up until the present time the plan was for myself and my son to do the gigs but the drummer and bass player from a mates band have offered their services so I will probably follow your advice and go for the set-up you suggest.  I am over the moon with the strat ! At first, I thought I might have made a mistake as I am used to a Yamaha erg121 which seems to have a smaller diameter neck at the nut and the strat was proving to be a bit of a challenge having a slightly wider neck but I have had lots of practice on the strat and everything is fine. I have just put it down to experience ! Thanks for your advice, its much appreciated.

Cheers.
gag.

Congrats on the Strat Gag!  A new guitar day is a good day!

Welcome to the forum Joe!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks mekidsmom. When its not plugged in to the practice amp, its sitting looking at me from its new stand begging me to pick it up !!!!!!!!

cheers.

gag.

gag1951 wrote:

Newbie "gag1951" here just to say hello. At the moment I am learning to play and have mastered a few chords on my Yamaha erg121c. The Mrs. bought me the guitar for my birthday last year and I am planning to upgrade to a baja telecaster early in 2010. The Son has a Gibson Les Paul and he is keeping me right at the moment ! Great to be a member of this forum and look forward to many happy times here.

Cheers.

gag1951

i wish you best of luck
i am not well in this sector
but i have very much interest
just i want to say try well
remember that there is a way, where is a will.