Topic: What chord is this?

Hi all, first time poster.  Love the site.

I'm a rank amateur guitar player, and I don't read music, but I assume this section of the forum is where this type of question belongs.

Can someone please ID this chord for me?

E = 0
A = 2
D = 1
G = 0
B = 0
e = 0

Basically, it's an Em with a D# instead of an E on the D string.

Thanks loads.
Astronomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: What chord is this?

Hi Astronomikal
This Chord has three names according to a free chord finder found here.
http://theguitarresource.com/guitar-chord-finder/
Chordie's more knowledgable theorists will probably be able to give you a more detailed answer on the chord makeup..
Welcome to Chordie
ark

On the surface it looks like E minor with a sharpened 7th. Em#7.
With a lot of chords, though, the actual name you give to it will depend on the context. By that I mean, the key the song is in and the chords that come just before and just after.

good chord resource Ark

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Thanks very much to both of you.

Ark:  I agree with marcalan, that's a great resource.  Thanks for sharing.

Stone:  Good point about the context.  The chord is played between an Em and an Em7, so the best name for it in that context would be an Em#7.

Thanks again.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

6 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-11-01 16:14:15)

Astronomikal wrote:

Thanks very much to both of you.

Ark:  I agree with marcalan, that's a great resource.  Thanks for sharing.

Stone:  Good point about the context.  The chord is played between an Em and an Em7, so the best name for it in that context would be an Em#7.

Thanks again.

Yes. This is often what happens when there is a descending melodic or bass line. The line starts on E and then goes to D# then D etc. If this is played over a constant feeling of Eminor in the main harmony, the chords often get written as Em Em#7 Em7 Em#6 Em6 and so on. It's a way of representing the descending (halftone) line within the E minor harmony.

It's an inversion of B7

B major 7 is.

B D# E G#.

So flatten the 7 (G#) and you've got a dominant 7 chord.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

It's an inversion of B7

B major 7 is.

B D# E G#.

No,
Bmaj 7th is
B D# F# A#

The chord you give is a 2nd inversion of Emaj7

The 7th (in B major) is the A#, flatten that to get the dom 7th of B
B D# F# A

I don't follow your answer at all, Jerome.

The notes in the chord given in the original post are E G B D# (E B D# G B E looking at the 6 strings)
This is clearly just E minor with a D#. From the stated context (coming between Em and Em7) the D# is almost certainly the result of a descending melody or bass line being represented in the chord of Em.

Stonebridge wrote:

This is clearly just E minor with a D#. From the stated context (coming between Em and Em7) the D# is almost certainly the result of a descending melody or bass line being represented in the chord of Em.

E minor with a major 7th... very interesting sound.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

Stonebridge wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

It's an inversion of B7

B major 7 is.

B D# E G#.

No,
Bmaj 7th is
B D# F# A#

The chord you give is a 2nd inversion of Emaj7

The 7th (in B major) is the A#, flatten that to get the dom 7th of B
B D# F# A

I don't follow your answer at all, Jerome.

The notes in the chord given in the original post are E G B D# (E B D# G B E looking at the 6 strings)

Gack.  Yer right. I got to G an stopped.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

This is the second chord in Tom Pettys' " Into The Great Wide Open"

021000<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>

and the proper name( in the world of guitar players) of the chord is Emmaj7 or "the second chord in that TomPetty tune".

You guys are making things harder than have to be. Relax, smile, and enjoy the beauty of the guitar..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hey Southpaw
Half the fun is arguing about it. wink
BTW. Your fretting figures in your post confirm that this is indeed a descending line starting on the d string (fret 2 then 1 then 0), which then continues on the A string at fret 4. And very nice it sounds too.
It reminds me a lot of the start of "Stairway to Heaven". That has a similar feel with the same descending line over a minor chord.