Topic: Slide Tuning

I've been trying my hand at playing slide.  Does anyone have any tips for an alternate tuning.  The standard EADGBE doesn't cut it.  Tuning the E's down to D's helps but I can't help thinknig that when I hear some of the contemparary slide players, the tuning sounds different.

Re: Slide Tuning

Open E tunning is real easy for me to play slide with and I'm not a very good slider. James or Roger could probably help you more.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Re: Slide Tuning

<b></b><font size="2"></font><font color="crimson"></font> You're in my territory now...open tunings will open up a whole new world for you for slide and fingerstyle...try and Open G tuning...from EADGBE tune to DGDGBD. Capo on the 2nd fret and you have an open A that's really cool for fingerstyle playing. Or you can tune up to an Open A by going from EADGBE to EAFAC#E. Open G is easier on the guitar neck and also easy on your fingers...caution when tuning upward...can cause extra stress on your guitar neck and strings...I hope that helps...jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.