Topic: Acoustic Strings

I have an acoustic electric guitar YAMAHA FGX720SCA I would like to achieve a better tone
from it.  It is to brite on the E and B strings, It just does not produce the acoustic sound I
would like to get from it.  Can anyone suggest strings I could use that would tone down the two strings mentioned.  I want to achieve a better mellow soft acoustic tone from the guitar.
Any suggestions on strings.

Re: Acoustic Strings

Heya Gerald,

I am not an authority on strings but I have tried alot of strings. I would recommend Elixir Polywebs for a warmer subtle sound.
I am currently using Elixir nanowebs and to my ears they are brighter than the polywebs. I am sure others will respond with some suggestions.

Later, Wayne P

Hi Gerald,

Check out the d'Addario or Martin "Silk & Steel" strings. They're softer on your hands and have a more mellow tone.

Happy pickin'

Love them!! I have been useing Martin "silk n steel" for over 10 years I change them once a month unless I play more often smile

mrjay wrote:

Hi Gerald,

Check out the d'Addario or Martin "Silk & Steel" strings. They're softer on your hands and have a more mellow tone.

Happy pickin'

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I've been through alot of different strings and have found Ernie Ball coated phosphor bronze to sound the best. What kind are you using now? Sometimes it's more than just the strings that need to be changes to mellow out a guitar. You might be interested in changinfg the bridge pins from plastic to wood. That will mellow out the tone for sure.

I have been using d' Addario  EJ-16  P and B on my acoustic.  They sound very bright, especially on the B and E strings. I prefer to have  a very acoustic tone.   I can twek  (adjust)my acoustic amp and it does not help very much. Thanks for your input. Thanks

My bridge pins are plastic.  Do You think changing to wook pins would help.

Gerald Quarles wrote:

I have an acoustic electric guitar YAMAHA FGX720SCA I would like to achieve a better tone
from it.  It is to brite on the E and B strings, It just does not produce the acoustic sound I
would like to get from it.  Can anyone suggest strings I could use that would tone down the two strings mentioned.  I want to achieve a better mellow soft acoustic tone from the guitar.
Any suggestions on strings.

Are you playing acoustic or through an amp ?

Strings are a very subject thing, it's a matter of opinion, what sounds good to me or you maybe not be right for the next person, try different kinds of strings and see what suits you best, it's your ear. I'm still new enough that I'm not sure I've found my strings, but right now I'm using elixers, they sound pretty good to me.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down