Topic: Happy Thanksgiving

I feel strange starting this thread... guess I expected to come here today and find one already started... strange no one did it first.  So ok... here I go!

Dear Canadian friends... happy belated Thanksgiving to you!  American friends... Happy Thanksgiving!  To the rest around the world... I hope somewhere amongst the fall weather (if you're in fact getting ready for a big winter) you've got a turkey feast in the plans!  There's nothing like a big ole bird, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and of course mom's apple pie!  Here in NY the wood stove has been burning already a month now (at least).  Winter is coming soon... and finances are in a bit of a shamble.  I am most grateful this year for the 17lb turkey that was in my freezer (gawd those can get expensive)... and the fact that we were able to afford to purchase the rest of the fixin's for our feast.  Somewhere out there are people that can't afford a decent meal today.  We shall feast tonight in memory of those that came before us who were most grateful for a bountiful harvest... the last hurrah before the snow and frigid months of winter (with no end in sight) set in. 

May you have wood in your fire, food in your belly, and someone to share the heat and meal with .

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Thank You,

I love the holiday season and thanksgiving , kinda kicks it off .  I always do a lot of soul searching and get sentimental through the holidays and give alot of thanks for how blessed I am.

Peace and Goodwill to All !

Later, Wayne P

Hi Everyone,

Very nice thought from "Mekidsmom" Happy thanksgiving to you all. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that hasn't been commercialized to death, a time for family and friends to enjoy each other. I wanted to add that I'm very thankful for my family and the love shared, I'm also thanful for all the friends I've made here on Chordie, so "Happy Thansgiving" to you all

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Brined the bird overnight and it's been on the smoker for about an hour already. A day of family, friends, football and fowl. A beautiful 60 degree day. I must be sure to moderate my intake of adult beverages or I'll be asleep before the bird is served!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Happy Thanksgiving and may the tunes you play today be easy and melodious.  ;-)

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate this day of overeating.  And to those of you who don't, have the nicest day possible.  You can overeat also if you wish.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Back at you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy Thanksgiving One and All!

I know that this is a "typically" New World Holiday, and has Christian underpinnings, so we won't get into the Who to Thank Theme here.... but anytime you have the opportunity to gather with friends and family and share, it's a good thing.

May you all have something or someone to be thankful for, and be safe and happy through the Holiday Season.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

We never have a huge feast and we are not into HUGE family gatherings except for really special occasions.  I treat it and any holiday to chill out, relax, enjoy a good meal and still do stuff.  Like every thanksgiving we have the tradition of taking a hike in the many opportunities that abound in our neck of the woods.  It's quiet, peaceful and gives us a chance to enjoy our blessings.  We also make sure we share in quiet ways our own bounty with those less fortunate.  By supporting the local groups that help the hungry and homeless.  It enrages me to think that situations like that abound in our supposed "prosperous" society.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Am I the 1st one here from outwith the US?

Thanksgiving is not celebrated over here and, I think, growing up with a lot of US TV shows it kinda got hammered into us over here only for us to say - Pah, yankee nonsense.

BUT

Maybe i'm getting old and sentimemtal but I'm starting to see it as a celebration that we really should be paying more attention to, wherever we are. Maybe not for the original reasons or historical story but for the sentiment behind it. As I get older I find myself more and more sitting back and having a look and thinking - you know, I really have a lot to be happy about - Maybe we need a day for doing that, for truly concentrating on it and celebrating family, friends, connections, experiences.

Maybe because it's so close to Christmas we overlook it. We tend to see Christmas as the biggy and a lot of the same sentiment from Thanksgiving comes through at Christmas. But hey, the more days we look about and say thanks the better.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and I hope you have a lovely time.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

No your not getting old or sentimental.  It should be a time to relax, enjoy the company of family and friends.  But it should also be a time to reflect on one's good fortune and the needs of those less fortunate.  Count your blessings so to speak.  I feel the same way about xmas and New Years.  Enjoy, relax, share, good food, good times, good drink, etc.   

Peace

Hope you all have a great day from your Canadiam neighbour.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Al is right about it getting hammered into us through tv.
I never knew what it was all about years ago, then slowly i learned. But I got to recite this rabbie burns poem.
I do not see this as anything to do with religion as it has nothing to do wit hit. It is all about how the invaders of america were welcomed by the natives and fed etc.
so, here is rabbie burns words.

Before anyone reads and maybe gets offended then sorry. I really do think thanksgiving is a good dday but it should be renamed to something like " sorry to the natives day"

This is called "ye hypocrites"

“Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks?
To Murder men, and give God thanks?
Desist for same! proceed no further:
God won't accept your thanks for Murther!â€

very fitting I think as the eastern side invade and stole land all those years ago.

I hate the human race,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Good one, Ken, Good poem!   Robbie Burns certainly knew his stuff!

we traditionally give thanks for what we have not for what our ancestors did several hundred years ago so happy thanksgiving smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

16 (edited by dino48 2009-11-27 03:30:04)

Happy thanksgiving to all out there,and thank you mekidsmom. russel you put that in the right prespective.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi all you chordie friends happy thanksgiving, christmas or what ever you celebrate around the world, im from the UK and now live in Turkey. Today here is Bayrami a 4 day festival when sacrifical sheep or goats are slaughtered and the meat distributed to the poor. Giving thats what life is about, I think today i will stayin and just string up my guitar, happy whatever to all Roger

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Russell_Harding wrote:

we traditionally give thanks for what we have not for what our ancestors did several hundred years ago so happy thanksgiving smile

well maybe americans use thanksgiving for their own needs then Russell?

I have asked a lot of americans including my american family and read up on thanksgiving and they all tell me thanksgiving was/is to thank what you have today because of what the natives gave when europeans first invaded the soil. they were very welcoming and help your ancestors as they came of the boats, that is what you should be celebrating on thanksgiving, not thanking a god or anything like that it is to the folk that saved other folk all those years ago.
And I think that is a good thing to do.
The slogan we use on rememberance day should apply to a lot of things that has happened in the past " lest we forget"

so I hope you had a good thanksgiving day as well as everyone else that makes something of the day for the natives all those years ago.

Ken

rogerjamtill wrote:

Hi all you chordie friends happy thanksgiving, christmas or what ever you celebrate around the world, im from the UK and now live in Turkey. Today here is Bayrami a 4 day festival when sacrifical sheep or goats are slaughtered and the meat distributed to the poor. Giving thats what life is about, I think today i will stayin and just string up my guitar, happy whatever to all Roger

that sounds like right good fun

but i do hope the food is killed quickly and humane.

thats the sort of festival i would like to go to.  Iwould kill, bleed, cut up and hand out the food in one of those.

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

well maybe americans use thanksgiving for their own needs then Russell?

Ken

Ken - I see no need to get all political / philosophical about it - Hell, my ancestors came to the US in the 1920's - they had nothing to do with the taking over of lands from the Indians (Native Americans). Back in the day, all of Europe was "claiming" and colonizing much of the world.

It's a day to enjoy family and friends, give thanks for the things we have and charity to those not so fortunate. It's an Autumn Festival - similar gatherings have been held for centuries all over the globe giving thanks for their crops.

You want me to be mournful to the Indians that lost their land without any fault of mine or my ancestors - Not gonna happen, I'll celebrate the holiday and enjoy my friends and family as I have all of my life.

Every American Holiday you seem to want to rain on our parade - Well, piss off is all I've got say.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Now that that's done, we can get on with the thanking of whoever we want to thak.  Actually, I feel strongly both ways. smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I would like to say happy thanksgiving to all the lovely people i met when i travelled across the US in May ( but they probably don't come on to Chordie), so i say a big happy thanksgiving to all our American chordians.

Or am i too late??

hopeful wrote:

Or am i too late??

No and thank you!   Now comes the onslaught before xmas.  OY

topdown wrote:

Well, piss off is all I've got say.

Topdown.
I was not trying to spoil your parade i was replying to russell, not all americans.
And i did say I thin kit is good for the right reasons the reasons thanksgiveing was meant to be about.

so piss off?>

and this is from a moderator?
lmao, no wonder i gave up being a moderaotr with narrow minded twats like you

Ken
have a nice life ya fud