1 (edited by bimmam 2009-11-05 21:39:39)

Topic: Help, buying an Epiphone I think???

Ok, I know adivse is always to play the guitar you intend to buy and I will when the time comes.

I have been playing a year, spent €100 on a guitar to get me started and want to upgrade.  I have my eye on a Epiphone 6 string Semi Acoustic [Model PR-5E].  I dont know enough about makes and models so thats why I'm calling for advise.  Has anyone got this model, are Epiphone a recommended make to purchase.

Thanks, I know ye wont let me down...

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx … mp;cid=260

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

Re: Help, buying an Epiphone I think???

I can't comment personally... especially since I've only been playing for a couple months (and only with low end guitars at that).  BUT... there was an interesting thread on here about different woods... etc... if you're interested in doing a little research into THAT end of it.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13101

I know when I hit my one year mark there's a good chance that I'll be looking for a new guitar too... as mine is really a low end beginner model (tho I did pick it out based on feel and sound, and I love it right now!).  I've heard a LOT of good stuff about Epiphone... and since you're looking at an elect/acousitc you might want to make a point to check out online reviews especially of the electro portion of it.  I've read a lot of bad stuff about that end of name brand guitars.  I just did a quick search for reviews and didn't find anything bad... if that helps at all!  I'm sure the GUYS that know their stuff will be here soon to comment!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Bimmam I've tried the PR5E and i liked it but found better for the same price. If we knew how much you are looking to spend it would help to see where to look. In that price range the Takamine G series guitars are worth a look and you could try ebay and posibly find a really good deal on a used solid top
Good Luck.

Hello Bimmam,
My daughter purchased a PR-5E new and had it for a short while. The action was ok and it played fine. This guitar doesn't project well and is very weak unless plugged in. She traded hers for a takamine about the same size it's a G series EG 440 I believe and it is a much better guitar and better electronics.

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Hello Bimmam,
My daughter purchased a PR-5E new and had it for a short while. The action was ok and it played fine. This guitar doesn't project well and is very weak unless plugged in. She traded hers for a takamine about the same size it's a G series EG 440 I believe and it is a much better guitar and better electronics.

I own a G series. Fantastic value...check them out.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I had a PR-5 for several years and regrettably sold it. Picked it up in a trade and it was a great playing and great sounding guitar...Yes, it didn't project well unplugged, but that's a design issue...the guitar is thin bodied and designed more for playing plugged in...at that it excelled!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thank guys/gals for the adivse [dfoskey I have €500 in mind buget wise].  Most of my guitar playing at the moment is without a pick up and although I'm disappoiinted to hear the guitar I'm looking at struggles with sound on its own I am glad I didnt make what I see now could be a mistake.  I'll still give it a play but luckly for me the shop I'm heading to has a good range of guitars so I'll experiment with quite a few.  Takimine seems to be the make that keeps haunting me, so with your good advice I'm definitely going to give this make of guitar a try.

Thinking about changing the heading on this thread to 'thanks for the help, not buying an Epiphone I think???'

Thanks as usual, the Chordie population has spoken some wise words.

I wouldn't give up on epiphone too quickly. For your budget the Epiphone makes a nice EJ200ce that is just as good as the Takamine G's. It's a jumbo so it's all about what fits you the best. If that doesn't fit you the Mastercraft series from Epiphone are really nice for just a little more.

Please don't give up on Epiphone because of my opinion of the PR5E. I believe their Masterbilt series of guitars are one of the best values out there they are solid wood and have wonderful tone. I bought a DR 500 MNS that is just a gorgeous sounding guitar plugged or unplugged. These guitars stack up well against guitars priced 3 and 4 times as much. I paid $500 for the DR500

Later, Wayne P

I'm not sayingdon't buy Epi either. I've played the Materbuilt series and it's nice. I'm just saying give Takamine a try as well...and Alvarez while you're at it!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Appreciate all the comments, I guess what you really mean to advise is dont limit myselt to one model in the Epi range, while I'm at it give a couple of Takimines and Alverez guitars a test.

I'll keep an open mind and play as many guitars as possible while in the shop, then choose which one I like the feel and sound of best.  For the right guitar my buget can increase, it only means waiting a bit longer with extra payments before I can collect, but the right guitar would be worth waiting for.

Thank all, you've been a great help... very much appreciated.

dfoskey wrote:

I wouldn't give up on epiphone too quickly. For your budget the Epiphone makes a nice EJ200ce that is just as good as the Takamine G's. It's a jumbo so it's all about what fits you the best. If that doesn't fit you the Mastercraft series from Epiphone are really nice for just a little more.

I've had a EJ200 (non electric) for a few months and I love it, it is big but the the sound tones are amazing and are truely worth the extra bulk.  It's also one of Noel Gallagher (Oasis) favourites opting for the Epi EJ200 rather than the Gibson J200.

It looks cool aswell ;?)

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

13 (edited by bimmam 2009-11-29 10:34:33)

Hi guys/gals,

Just an update, I have made a purchase... yahoo.  Was not sure about the appearance at first but I couldnt get away from the sound, the starter guitar is history and I have my first proper playable and sounding guitar.  Look at the link and give your opinion... oh yeah I nearly forgot, in the end I bought the Ibanez EW20ZWE Acoustic Electric Guitar and am glad I did.

Your adivse was a great help, with a clear and open mind I went through several guitars and settled on the one that sounded the best to me and I felt comfortable with...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod … sku=512323

Happy daz... thanks Chordie members...

That's a great looking guitar.  I've always liked the Ibanez AE basses.  I haven't played many of their guitars. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

bimmam wrote:

Hi guys/gals,

Your adivse was a great help, with a clear and open mind I went through several guitars and settled on the one that sounded the best to me and I felt comfortable with...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod … sku=512323

Happy daz... thanks Chordie members...

I am impressed...

I've added that to my wish list... smile

problem for me out here in the sticks in UK is it's very difficult to get my hands on one to actually try before buying...

so I'd have to buy sight unseen and hope for a sensible returns policy, or else dedicate a day to traveling in to a big city to try one out.

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

Thanks Zurf, it was the sound that made me choose this guitar, the body is large so the bass sound to me was smooth, dont know why but the Ibanez just called to me and we hit it off...

Hi Manicbassman, I kinda know how you are fixed, I live in the midlands in Ireland so not a huge choice of music shops around.  I have one in my town but didnt like any of the guitars there so I had to travel about 25 miles to buy the one I eventually did, and I'm glad I did.  I dont have much experience with dfferent guitars but would recommend the Ibanez, I'm delighted with it...

Thaks all...