Topic: Scams

Someone called claiming that we had won the Austrailian Lottery. This time I answered the phone. They told me that they were a company representing the Austrailian Lottery and we won 2.5 million dollars and all we had to do was send them $650 for insurance on the check that it was going to be coming Fed Ex. Instead of giving the money I asked a list of questions. They said that they were in Jamaica.
1) Why do they need $650 dollars from me for insurance
2) The name of their company
3) How are they listed with the Better Buisiness Beauro
They again told me that the money was for insurance on the check. They game me the name of their company. Then they told me that there is no American BBB in Jamaica.
They are listed with they European Buisiness Beauro So I asked;
4) what is the phone number to the EBB
5) What is the phone number to the Austrailian Lottery
They told me that the company didn't want their number givin out. They gave me a number to the EBB. I used reverse look up on the internet and it came up with no known number.
I asked them for their number ( the caller id listed no known name and no known number ) they gave me a number and it to came up as nothing on the reverse look up.
I went round and round with the persone on the other end of the phone. She finally told me that I was just being difficult. I wished them a merry Christmas and told them that I would call them back in a couple of days, after I checked their company out.
Lets face it. All legitimate companies will have a name and phone number pop up on the caller id. Lottery companies have no problem with you calling them. Most of all I'm not difficult, I'm not sending someone $650 dollars to insure something that I haven't fully checked out first. There were other questions I asked, I just can't quite remember all of them.
I still get no name no number on the caller id. but they hang up on me. If my wife answers they'll want to talk to her. Go figure.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Re: Scams

Good catch eagleeye. The first thing i would have wondered is why someone in the United States is winning an Australian lottery that i hadn't played. Thanks for the warning there are alot of con artist working hard this season.

I get these from time to time and just delete them.  They are pure scam, as you said.  As they always say, you should never have to pay when you win something.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Besides, you don't need to insure a check.  A check can be cancelled just that easily.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Shoot!!!! there go's my trip to Bogo Bogo, Barrister Nakutu sounded so nice lol lol lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

One day im gonna take off around the world to collect all the billions ive been left or won !

Not  just yet though , i  have enough for the moment :lol; lol lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I guess that's why you call yourself eagleeye. smile

To bad there wasn't a way to track and bust these cons easier. There's way too many gullible people out there that don't ask the right questions.

Good Post big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Dang it,

I thought Eagleeye might buy us all a new guitar for Christmas this year, oh well, these scams happen all the time.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

KAP54, my wife IS one of those people.

My wife is a very gullible. She has sent all kinds of money to all kinds of winnings, make youself wealthy working on line, and so on and so on. Each time she says she learnt her leason, this time I was there everytime this call came in and every time I told her no while she was on the phone. This time I picked up the phone and played their game, but with all kinds of questions. Everytime someone calls and asks for my wife I ask them who they are, what there number is and what the call is about. If they ask me if either she is here or can they speak to her I tell them the same thing. If it is important enough then they should have no problem telling me what it is. Most of the time they just hang up. I'm not being mean to my wife, I don't like her generosity/gullibily being exploited by others.

My wife is not gullible so much, but she really has trouble saying no to people selling things on the phone or door to door.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It's hard enough getting the money in your pocket, it should be even harder getting it out!