Topic: Amp questions

Hi All!!!!

Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.

So what is the diff between a combo amp and an acoustic amp? Some websites list them differently. For an A/E what should one be looking for?

Thanks

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Amp questions

Howdy!

A combo amp refers to having the amp head and electronics housed within the same cabinet as the speaker(s), for instance a Fender Champ or Twin Reverb, Vox AC30, and like that. As opposed to having a separate amp head and speaker cabinet(s), such as the Marshall stacks Hendrix played.

There is (or was?) an amp manufacturer named 'Acoustic', but you're probably thinking of amps that are marketed as "Acoustic" amps. These are simply amp rigs that are optimized for use by acoustic guitarists, usually by the incorporation of a horn speaker in addition to the standard cone-type speaker(s). There are usually 2 inputs, one for guitar and another for a mic, so you can play coffee houses and the like pretty easily. Often, reverb and/or other effects are included, so you don't need to haul a rack case or pedal board around if you don't want to. I've only seen acoustic amps in the 'combo' style.

I have a Fender Acoustasonic 30 (the smallest of the Acoustasonic line) which I like a LOT. It's pretty light and relatively easy to carry; has a tilt-back cabinet for better projection; 2 channels  -- (1) 1/4"input for guitar and (1) XLR input for a mic; a line out; and here's the kicker -- individual effects and effects levels for each channel. I can choose from a variety of plate, room and hall reverbs, alone or in useful combinations with delay and chorus. Bet you'll find a sound you like.

When I play out, I usually just use straight plate reverb on both channels, set the effects level at about halfway so it's not too ostentatious, and let'er rip.

I hope this helps!

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Songsterman, (or anyone) my son got me an amp with only one input. Can I use a "Y" cable and use guitar and mike at the same time? I really don't want to upgrade seeing how it was a gift.Any advice would be appreciated.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

4 (edited by wlbaye 2009-12-27 15:07:11)

Deadstring,

I think your best bet will be to use a non powered mixer.  There are some available with 4 to 5 inputs for less than $ 50. I have been told trying to Y them doesn't work but I have never tried it. With a mixer you open yourself up to more options for the future. If you get a backup singer you will have an extra input for another mic for guitar too. Just depends on if your amp has enuff power to handle the load.

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Deadstring,

I think your best bet will be to use a non powered mixer.  There are some available with 4 to 5 inputs for less than $ 50. I have been told trying to Y them doesn't work but I have never tried it. With a mixer you open yourself up to more options for the future. If you get a backup singer you will have an extra input for another mic for guitar too. Just depends on if your amp has enuff power to handle the load.

Yeah, I think Wayne's got it right.  The y connector will suffice somewhat for the time being though if you need to wait.  I found when a friend stops in I had limited inputs.  Using the y connector you wrestle with different signal loss and signal balance issues.  At GC I found a negotiated price of about $75 for this mixer ... if I did it right picture below:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w140/AccoustikNoyz/Ampminimixer004.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w140/AccoustikNoyz/Ampminimixer005.jpg

Steve

Thanks for the advice and pictures.  At least now I know what to look for. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

cool mixer, could you help me, ?
I'v got a very small breringer zenex mixer, but in trueth I don't fully understand it, do you know of a web site that will teach beginers the basics of mixers.
tony blue

man is the dream of the doliphin

deadstring wrote:

Songsterman, (or anyone) my son got me an amp with only one input. Can I use a "Y" cable and use guitar and mike at the same time? I really don't want to upgrade seeing how it was a gift.Any advice would be appreciated.

What make/model is the amp ?

henryb wrote:
deadstring wrote:

What make/model is the amp ?

It is a Fender 15R

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys!!!! JK

So, if an amp is listed as just a combo amp then it's not an acoustic amp?????

Like the Fender Frontman, Marshall MG4 series, Line 6 Spider, those aren't acoustic amps right?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Z,

Getting back on track here.....   Yeah a Combo is an amp/speaker combination in a common case.  Now understand that almost any amp will do what you ask it to, but Acoustic Guitar amps tend to sound better with piezoelectric pickups and are optimized for that kind of input.  If your A/E is fitted with magnetic pickups (like a plain old solid body electric) or you also play straight electric, you might want to look more in that direction rather than invest in multiple amps.

I play an Ovation A/E, and an Epi ST275 solid, so my main amp is a Behringer 212.  Does a really good job of emulating a wide variety of amp/speaker combinations and has on board effects on both channels.  Microphones and other instruments are routed through a powered mixer and into a stand alone PA stack.  Both of those components put out 60Watts per channel (stereo) so there is enough sound to make us open a door to keep glass in the windows.  The twin 12" speakers have enough area to give the acoustic it's full range of tones without sounding restricted.  In other words: the acoustic sounds exactly as it does unplugged, just louder without losing either the upper or lower frequencies it is capable of producing.  Actually, that amp sounds good with everything that has been put into it....  Taylor, Ibenez A/E, Strat, ST, LP, SG, etc.

Hope that is helpful a little....  best advice is to take your instrument with you when shopping and if the staff is friendly (as most are) you will be able to plug and play your candidates to see what sounds best to your ear.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Zguitar,
I think I am the guilty hijacker! I do apologize!
I just get to reading and something will remind me of a question I have and I get in a hurry. Sorry.