Topic: Another sleepless night.

Sigh.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Another sleepless night.

Well Brother Zurf, that's cryptic....

Wazzup?  The kids having friends on a "sleepover" or somesuch?

In the days before online gaming, our boys would have a bunch of friends over for LAN (local area network) game parties which were my sleepless nights.  Ranked right up there with "Camporee".  Kinda miss those days.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

3 (edited by Zurf 2009-12-29 08:51:03)

Work stress.  Can't go into it on-line.  Or even off-line for that matter.  Haven't had a decent night's sleep in a month.  I slept from 11:something to 12:30 tonight.  It doesn't look like I'm going to get any more rest, either.  But both those hours of sleep I got last night should do me for a while.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I do the same thing, Zurf.  I'll bet you can't close your mind down at night and keep thinking of ways to fix an issue.  I hate that.  My problem is not getting to sleep generally, but staying asleep for very long.  I continually wake up thinking about something.  I usually get 2-3 hours of deep sleep when I go to bed, but after that, I''m awake every half hour or so.  And one more thing I haven't done in many years is to be able to take a nap in the daytime.  I just can't do it.  Well, anyway, good luck and keep trying, bud.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I had that a couple of times.
Sleeping pills helped me right out.
Generic...not prescription.
The prescription stuff is WAAAAY too strong!

Sending up a prayer for your healing bud...

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Some times you just need to leave your work at work and home at home. I used to have the same problem but when i started refusing to think about work at home it all worked out. Relax and cast all of your cares on God and he will see that the weary gets rest.

Hi Zurf,

Im sorry to hear your not reaching noddy land. your problem could be your going to bed to look for sleep ?
The secret of Going to bed ! Is resting the body, and let sleep come to you.
Try breathing properly. 3 phase breath concentrates the mind off bothersome stuff. You wont change anything thinking about it all night.
Write  whats bothering you  down on a notepad. Make a concious decision to deal with it tomorrow if necessary. After a wee while this procedure works. Some one bought me worry angels that hang on my bedpost. I tell them all before i sleep, They stay awake sorting my problems out lol

http://www.myyogamentor.com/ThreePart.html

You may find this a wee bit difficult at first but it does work. When we worry we shallow breathe. which makes us more anxious.
I hope this helps in some way.
I have a friend who buys Night Calms iN America [ herbal] He swears by them as does his wife.

Sleepy dreams to you sir.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Old Doll for those good hints.  Before I became Christian, I practiced a sort of mind-over-matter Taoism and learned a lot of body control tricks like those.  I have gotten sloppy and allowed my mind to become undisciplined. 

The rest of you, thanks for your concern.  You are all exactly right on target.  I cannot shut down my mind.  What I used to do is go downstairs to the family room and lay down on the couch.  I'd put some classical music on the TV and that would occupy my mind enough to permit me to get to sleep.  But right now my family room is stripped down to cement floor and cinder block foundation in preparation for remodeling so I can't do that.  I can't play music in the bedroom because that would wake my wife.  I can't play music in the living room because that would wake everyone.  So, I just sat and stared.  I've found a copy of The Hobbit that I'll read if it happens again tonight. 

- Zurf

9 (edited by deadstring 2009-12-29 19:03:14)

I have a radio on my headboard that I turn down very low if I have trouble sleeping. What about listening through head phones so you won't disturb the others?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I used to have a problem falling asleep my doctor prescribed ambian cr it comes in different strength doses but it works now I dont need it and I find that "happy hour" is a nice nap smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have a very stressfull job and when things don't go right I can't help but bring them home with me. Now ya'll gotta understand I work away from home. I spend Sunday night through Thursday night living in my travel trailor and Friday night & Saturday night at my home with my wife. While I am in my travel trailor I have no problem in falling asleep for about 2 hours. Then I wake up, look at the clock, fall back to sleep, and each hour after, almost to the minute, I wake up, look at the clock and go back to sleep. I am fully aware of what is going on, don't have to go to the bathroom or get a drink, just gotta look at the dad-gum clock and can tell you what times I looked at the clock the next day. Now when I am home and able to sleep in my own bed I find that if I spend 2 to 3 hours begging and pleading with my wife the 2 to 3 minutes spent on lovemaking causes me to sleep like a baby throught the night with no problems.

Everything stated above is true and not meant to be a joke (even the 3 minutes on a good night)

Nela

12 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-12-30 07:17:02)

Me! am just a "night owl"......nowt will make me sleep any longer than i need too not even the attentions of a good woman (meaning the wife)

Poor Nela just except yer never gonna be a "sleeping beauty" m8 and theres no fair maiden to kiss and wake you up sorry!!

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

By nature I am a night owl as well.  So when I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm awake.  Also a stressful job.  I'd love a bit of time in a travel trailer but would surely miss my family for it to happen that often.  Inside a travel trailer alone would let me turn on some music or play some tunes on my guitar to occupy my mind on something other than the bit of gristle it won't let go of.  Everyone's got their own window on the world. 

But, last night... I SLEPT!!!  I did have a little chemical aid in the form of an aspirin and a kava kava pill.  I felt a migraine coming on, and I've found that combination does wonders if taken in time before the migraine hits full force.  The kava kava has a side effect that I will abbreviate here as "WGAS".  It is difficult to care about anything at all when taking that herb.  It's expensive stuff, but I found a health food store in town that stocks it from a good quality producer.  Anyway, I slept, slept, and slept some more.  I got a good four hours at the beginning of the evening when my little girl needed to be tucked back into bed and sung a song.  Then the dog had to go out.  That's when I felt the migrain coming on.  I took the aspirin and kava kava and within 1/2 hour I was out for another six hours.  My wife had to wake me at 9:30 to tell me that she was heading to a doctor's appointment.  She could have left a note.

- Zurf

I'll have to check on that Kava Kava.  I sleep the same as NELA, always waking up and looking at the clock.  That three minutes sounds exhausting though. smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LMAO!  you guys are all the same!

Glad to hear you slept Zurf... never heard of this kava kava pill... nite time cold medicine works wonders for my sleep when needed.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Old Doll could probably give a lot more information about kava kava, the wealth of information she is about nutrition and herbal supplements. 

Here's what I know about it:
- It is the dried root of a pepper plant from the South Pacific, crushed to a fine powder.
- It is the substance used to make "grog" before the word was subsumed by sailors to mean rum.
- Grog ceremonies have been a tradition in South Pacific native cultures, especially Fiji, as long as there's been a South Pacific native culture.
- The U.S. FDA discovered that if you feed a rat nothing but kava root, and then enough to make a glutton of him, for an extended period of time that the rats develop kidney and liver problems. 
- Biologically speaking, I have a lot more in common with South Pacific natives than with laboratory rats. 
- After countless generations of use by South Pacific native cultures, the only side effect of excessive use seems to be 'lizard skin.'  Which is also a side effect of substantial sun exposure, which also occurs in South Pacific native cultures. 

So, use caution, as you naturally would with any sort of supplement.  Remember that it is not controlled by FDA or other government agency.  Use at your own risk.  It can make you kind of loopy, so if you choose to use it, use it at home until you know how it affects you.  I used to use a brand that I took two pills.  The current brand, I took two pills and Holy Moley I felt like I had just downed a pint or five of something strong.  So I use only one pill at a time of that brand.  The main things it does for me is that it is a stress reducer similar to alcohol in effect (but without the other effects of alcohol like slowed reaction times, reduced inhibitions, stupidity, or in severe cases pregnancy) and it also is a vaso-regulator.  With the blood-thinning and vaso-regulating effects of aspirin, I find that it can head off a migraine if taken early enough.  That's how I use it. 

Just type kava kava into your favorite search engine and settle down for a lot of reading.  Be wary of the "articles" that are ads for a particular brand or product or method.   It is unregulated, so don't take any one manufacturer's word on anything.  Put your cynic goggles on.  Buy only from a source you trust. 

- Zurf

Zurf,

Glad you got something that works for you Bro.  Strange things can happen to your sanity with prolonged sleep deprivation.

Now a question about your statement:  "Buy only from a source you trust.".......  by that I can't help but ask, you mean like, someone that won't immediately place a toll-free call to the DEA?  Right?  LOL

It's just my warped sense of humour..... 

Take Care, and get some sleep!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sorry to hear you are having sleep problems, did you see a doctor. have you tried a little whisky or otc sleep aids.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry to hear you are having sleep problems, did you see a doctor. have you tried a little whisky or otc sleep aids.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ooooohhhhhh dino.  I have definitely tried a little whiskey.  I have not tried any OTC sleep aids, aside from the kava kava. 

Doug, that's pretty funny, but no by source you trust I mean someone who will sell a good quality product and stand behind it.  Kava kava is legal.  However, the first I used of it, it was contraband smuggled in by a friend of mine who served in the South Pacific in the Peace Corps and wanted to bring back enough for a grog ceremony to show his friends what it was like.  We had a BLAST.  There's a million internet sources that are less expensive than the health food store where I buy mine, but I know that the owners of this health food store are sensitive to only carrying good quality products.  So I trust them and it's worth the extra money, especially with how infrequently I use the stuff. 

- Zurf

ZURF, I wrote a topic about sleep. Despite all good advises and feelings, it is horrible. Worse is going to bed knowing that you "can't sleep"
I take my medication daily and tonight was the first "full 8 h sleep"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I work a "shift" system and find that the night before I have to be out of bed for the early shift, no matter what I try I just cannot go to sleep ! This results in me being very tired at work for the entire day. The only reason I can come up with is that I may be worrying about over-sleeping which results in very little sleep at all !

cheers.
gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!