Topic: how important is a good mic

I am unsure about how to pick a good mic, and I just woundered if it is important to have a expensive mic, considering that your voice is going through a amp that alters the tone of the voice.
So, should I  get a expensive new mic, or not ?.
If yes, what is considered the be the best mic for all round use and rock.
Thank you for your time
tonyblue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: how important is a good mic

Hi Tony,

I think that this topic has been covered earlier around here somewhere, but for my tuppence worth you can't do much better for the money than a Shur SM58.  I've got a few different mics in the arsenal, a couple of older Akai, and a couple Shur SM clones, but you really cannot beat the real thing.  I also use a Marshall MX990 condenser.... but it is waaaay too sensitive for general use, studio environment only!  But if you have a booth, you might consider one of those as they are very good and not too high priced.

You will likely hear similar opinions from others around here.... I'm pretty sure that Russell uses Shur mics for his recordings, as well as others.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I agree with Doug on the Sure mic's they give a good recording and are durrable I have had the same two mic's for going on 20 years and I used them on gigs and recordings smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I like a SM58 as well for live play and general use..  I use a Rode NT1A condenser mic for recording and I can't say enough good things about it.  I had a MX990/991 mic set as well and they were good mics for the money.  I think mics are kinda dependent on the user... You need to try a few and see which one works best with your vocal range and adds the color your looking for.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi,Tony,
The SM58 is a fine mic for general use. The Rolling Stones and many other top groups use them. I own 3.
I use a Shure SM-57 to mic my tuba. At the recording studio, their high dollar mics picked up too much air wheezing and valve clanking when recording my old 1940 tuba. I used my SM57 and got the nice warm sound without the distracting wheezes and clanks. Shure SM58's cost about $100 U.S. in the Musician's Friend online catalogue.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

thank you all,
sorry for repeating a question.
I will take your combined suggestions and get a Sure-58 mic.
thank you all
tonyblue

not as important as a good voice!!

but if nobody can hear you a mic comes in handy and who's to say what a good voice is? some people like Tiny Tim,Joe Cocker,Bob Dylan its all arbitrary smile

loisheckman wrote:

not as important as a good voice!!

As always Russell, you are right on the money.
I just want to get the best out of what I'v got.
tonyblue

Tony what you have is unique its Your voice, each of us has a distinct sounding voice if we sing from the heart and not try to sound like someone else the Sure SM-58 is reliable and a good microphone and will provide years of use and produce quality recordings smile

For home recording, a large diaphram condenser mic is great for voice (far better than a Sure, which is great on stage). For acoustic guitars a small, pencil-style condenser is good and for color, consider an inexpensive Nady ribbon mic. These days, any of these could be had for under $100 - cheaper than the SM58 or SM57. You will need a mic preamp, mixer or PC interface that can provide the 48V of phantom power these mics require.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Thanks for your input.  At the monent I am using a Shure mic, to a Belinger mixer, and recording onto a Boss recorder, which works O.K. for now.
TonyBlue