1 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-12-30 06:50:34)

Topic: low E tuning

Hi fellow chordians! merry christmas and a happy new year to you all,

I think this may have been covered somewhere else (though i cant find it)

I have a problem tuning low E using a clip on tuner, it either does not register or needle jumps around like a squrrill with its bum on fire lol big_smile.(thats what youget rubbin` chili on the nuts)lol
Ave done searches and using "Harmonics" is mention alot with telling you clear how too ( i depress on 12th fret, shows up correct tuning but to high E ????)

its the only string i have bother tuning, though i dont know how correct my tuner is. just found out its also has a  chromatic setting

Sorry i cant tune by ear, am not that clever, though am just starting to pick out when certain strings are outa tune. Its a start big_smile

any advice?

Cheers Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: low E tuning

If you tune the harmonic correctly then the string is in tune.
The high E is what you get from the harmonic on the 5th fret.
The 12th fret gives you the E between the high and low E. (There is not a string tuned to that in standard EADGBE)
It might help when tuning the low E string, if the harmonics don't work too well, to pluck it near the middle rather than over the sound hole.

This must be fairly common; I have the Intellitouch PT2 and it has trouble with the bass strings on both my regular guitars and some of my cigar-box instruments.

I've found it helps to completely damp all the strings, and then only pluck the string lightly.

Howdy,
I have had two intellitouch tuners and neither one would pick up the Low E string. They both quit working and I have since changed to Crafter chromatic tuners and both of the ones I have pick up the Low E string every time. The intellitouch tuners are twice the money as the Crafter tuners, about $ 25.

Later, Wayne P

Bottom line is you have a terrible tuner.  Take your guitar to a local music shop and practice tuning with different tuners to find the easiest to work with.  You'll be much less frustrated.

find a keyboard

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

I bought a First Act mini-tuner and metronome at Wal-mart for $25. BIG MISTAKE! Darn thing could not tune lower guitar strings or bass - then it froze up and died after a few months.
My big old Korg GT-2 tuner I paid $25 for ten years ago can hear my acoustic, or take a plug-in for my electric and even hear my bass guitar and tuba.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Try moving your tuner on the headstock ... I find closer to the E string machine head works for me

ukesailor wrote:

Try moving your tuner on the headstock ... I find closer to the E string machine head works for me

I'll try that, it makes sense.  I have an intellitouch tuner that had a hard time tuning the Low E string.  I changed the batteries and it can still be a tad rascally with that string, but it improved quite a bit.  Enough that I'm not cursing it anymore.  lol

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I got an Intellitouch tuner and am severely disappointed.  It goes through batteries like nobody's business, it doesn't tune the low E well, and it's difficult to see and slow to respond.  I much prefer my chromatic tuner.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I got an Intellitouch tuner and am severely disappointed.  It goes through batteries like nobody's business, it doesn't tune the low E well, and it's difficult to see and slow to respond.  I much prefer my chromatic tuner.

- Zurf

I see other people in my class using other types of clip on tuners.  I'll have to check them out.  I am slowly getting better with tuning by ear, I have reached a point where I sometimes disagree with my tuner.  LOL

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Go on the internet and type in guitar tuner, there are a bunch of free tuners sites that you use right of the computer