Topic: Another "what chord is this?" question.

Hi everyone,

I'm a total hack guitar player. I've been playing around with a song I'm writing, and I've been using this one chord a lot, but I don't know what it's called.
I've checked several chord charts, but I don't see a match.
It's essentially a C chord with a slight twist - a G-C combo perhaps.

E = 0
A = 3
D = 2
G = 0
B = 1
e = 3

Any ideas what this chord is called?

Thanks in advance
Brent

Re: Another "what chord is this?" question.

Hi Brent
Welcome to Chordie.
I think this is just a variation of the C chord and is still called C
On Chordies Resources tab at the top of the page you will find the large chord chart and under C you will find the variation.
I'm sure our more talented theroists will give you a more detailed answer to your question.
ark

It's just a C major chord with the E in the bass. Can be written C/E sometimes.
That E in the bass produces 3 Es in a normal C chord, so using the 3rd fret on the top E string changes that E to a G and gives the chord a slightly more "open" sound. (I don't mean "open" as in open strings)

It's a C chord with a G in it and it sounds great sometimes when you alternate from C (with the added G) to G.
If you use your pinky on the first string 3rd fret for both chords it is a quick change and an extra fat sound. Cool!
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I really appreciate the feedback, everyone.
I checked several other resources to confirm that the chord is sometimes called C/E, but couldn't find any other sites that call it a C/E chord.
Normally, I wouldn't care about the name of the chord (it sounds as it sounds), but I'm hoping to share my song with some people and I'd like to provide the name of the chord along with the usual diagram of the chord.
Anyone else care to weigh in on the name of the chord?

it is what it is a slash chord C/E the note to the left of the slash / is C this is the chord, the note to the right of the slash / is E this is the Lowest note played in the Chord and this is true for any slash chord ////// smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Okay, thanks for that.
Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brent

Russell_Harding wrote:

it is what it is a slash chord C/E the note to the left of the slash / is C this is the chord, the note to the right of the slash / is E this is the Lowest note played in the Chord and this is true for any slash chord ////// smile

Yep.  This is how you would notate an inversion, which is what this is.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Brent:

If you haven't seen this yet, you should save it to your favorites.

http://theguitarresource.com/guitar-chord-finder/

Some of the guys on this forum turned me onto it and I've used it many times.

-Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

hi there I like this variation its used in DRUGS DONT WORK BY THE VERVE also try this... keep your index (1st) finger on the B string 1st fret and your little finger on the high G (1st string 3rd fret) whilst changing between F - G - C. using the middle fingers .   the F  G  C change is done at half bar intervals in the mentioned record but works well with most of the songs involving this sequence..

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it...Aristotle.

Paul: 

I assume you mean the high E string and not the high G.  My 12 string has a high G, but not my 6.  smile

Kidding aside, you're right, that's a nice sound.  You can also add in an Am and when you play C-F-G-Am, you get Matt Weddle's cover of Hey Ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

This is rhythmNpik here, i'm new to the house, anyway i've got an answer but it's not the only answer, here we go .....
As i know it, the chord is C with a G base, some purest's won't play the optional G base to a C chord unless it's
Written in the score and they would dud out the the E string, i've always used the optional G base note playing the C chord cos'
I'm not a purest, i just like the tone of it and it doesn't take away from any song i know of, anyway best of luck in all you do.

a purest is not a purest unless the purest is a purest ...... lolololol '''''' who said that ???? not me !!!! then who ????? i dunno !!!!

The way of the muso ....

RhythmNbalance