Topic: bored !!!! i need something new

i have been playing the guitar for about 6 months and have gotten to a point where i cant wail off intense solos but i find the normal strumming song boring and i am constantly searching for something new to cure my boredom.. any suggestions will do : songs,bands,genres anything u think i could enjoy

Re: bored !!!! i need something new

try slide guitar, its a lot of fun.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

3 (edited by crevs.1972 2009-12-22 10:49:34)

I underwent a similar thing a few months ago and mentioned it here aswell.

My problem was that I was playing the usual easy G,D,C songs that all of us start on, I just got bored of the material I was playing although I never got bored of actually playing.

I sort of underwent a transition from playing the "usual" beginner songs and started listening to the radio and and dug out some of my old LP's.   All the enthusiasm just came back immediately as I started playing songs I actually liked and also chart songs that my kids liked.  Nothing gets me motivated more that playing Lady GaGa - Pokerface and seeing my 6 year old daughter rush into the room and start dancing and singing!  Don't forget some of best dance/pop/techno songs wre written on a guitar and sound fantastic stripped down. 

I don't know if your playing barre chords but these are the key to progressing, chords like Bm, F, Fm, Gm are a pain to learn but well worth the effort.   

Keep aty it and mix it up.

Ry

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

James, welcome to Chordie. What type of music are you playing? Country, R n R, Blues? If you been playing a lotta 3 chord songs, such as country, try sometning a little faster - it'll be a challange. Try a little 12 bar blues. (any key) Lotta Country / R n R played in a 12 bar progression.

Nela

5 (edited by james ouellette 2009-12-24 03:53:19)

i play everything i can from classical to hard rock , surf music etc. even video game theme songs i can play barre chords no problem im just having a shortage of songs i know of (it wasn't too long i out grew rap as im only 18) the funny thing is is that after i first posted this topic i thought of miserlou by dick dale aka pulp fiction theme song and i learned that which was fun gave me a headache from playing it over and over again and i learned that song and girl you'll be a woman soon by surge overkill (i think thats his name) but still i am bored once again ....

dump your girlfriend for no reason whatsoever...  allow the pain to validate your creative resources and record... record...record...  or, go to an open mic night and give it a little run...

HI james,why dont you try some jimi hendrix,eric clapton,stevie ray vauan.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Time to try some arpeggio i think. Its a bit frustrating at first but once you've got to grips with the basics it can add alot to your playing.

Also as mentioned in other reply bar chords are a must.

Adios

Hi James and Welcome Aboard!

Take a look over at the public books section on the right margin of the Chordie Homepage....  I check that out regularly and find some gems among other's collections.  Mostly stuff that I'd forgotten about over the years.  Revisiting the old standards usually sweeps a few cobwebs out of the memory and leads onward to new material.  Along with trying new stuff by current artists, there is a bunch of music out there, just waiting to be learned.

Have fun and hang in there!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Fingerstyle maybe?

Now available in 5G !

All the above suggestions are great, and I would emphasize finger picking. There are a lot of different picking styles. I have never gotten used to a pick, I prefer the feel of the strings. Different picking techniques can add zest to a worn-out song, by changing the way yopu think of the song. You can change the tempo, go from 4/4 time to 3/4 time.

Also, do you compose? Try coming up with your own unique chord patterns and then see if you can combine several into a fresh new song. And while you are at it, try different ways to play an old chord: I use a lot of D variations:  xx0232, x40230, x30030, x20030, x10030   the left-most number for each group represents the left-most or bass sttring and the right most number of each group represents the high E string. The numbers are the frets you play (x = muted, do not play).

i have been learning to play blues solos lately a temporary solution to my boredom but with a shortage of knowledge of songs its still hard to improve

I remember that point also !

I started to learn how to finger pick, now i love trying different songs this way.
Wlbaye from the forum here has some good  easy tips on youtube.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I'm at a stage now where I feel I need to start going back to all the songs I've learned so far and learn all the licks and fills so I'm gonna start practicing scales alot more than I have been.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

yea i justfound a bunch of scales i hopethey help me compose some sweet licks of my own

There you go.  You said in your initial post that you can't wail off significant solos.  So, I'd say learn how to wail off significant solos would be a good place to start.  That means chords, arpeggios, and inversions until your eyes cross, and then just a little bit more...

Try also to learn more about playing by ear.  Grab an electric (because you can use one unplugged and not annoy others watching TV with you as badly) and watch TV.  Try to pick up and play bits by ear as you hear them.  Theme song riffs, ad jingles, etc.  I did this with my bass a lot when I was working on bass scales and found that it was fun to do.  I need to start working guitar scales and arpeggios and such so that I can take my own advice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There are millions of songs to be played more than one way. When i start getting bored with my material i find more even if i've never heard them and i play them the way i want them to sound as in my time and strum pattern. Alot of good advise from everyone else also.  As Zurf stated playing along with the TV works. My lead and play by ear skills started improving when i started doing this a few months ago.

I like to divide my practice time into styles... I'll practice strumming songs till I'm tired of that and then move to fingerstyle, when I start getting bored there I play Bossa Nova and then I usually finish it up working on the latest Slackkey piece that I'm attempting. Every so often I'll drag out some ragtime tab to entertain myself with... I like to experiment with a lot of percussive playing as well. Try working some beats, taps and slaps on the guitar into the songs you already know to add some additional interest.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Start fingerpicking. its something different and it sounds great.  The first one i learned was Land Slide by Fleetwood Mac.

I have an Idea that might speed up your guitar playing. Pick an absolutely impossible song and make it your goal to eventually learn how to play that song. Personally I picked Stairway to Heaven, although its not absolutely impossible it is way out of my rang as far as my skill on the guitar goes. If I work towards that goal its definitely going to shove me out of my normal routine and I'll have to really start pushing myself to get better. : D

no audience required.

so i'v been trying my hands at blues rock solos and i can up with part of a solo so far that i think is considerably impresive  being that  am fairly new to the guitar luckily i live alone so playing all day long and having some pretty ugly sounding mistakes isn't a problem (back to zurfs comment) lol but i do have a lack of ppl i know who also play the guitar i wish i knew more because i find that watching and listening to others play really opens me up to new styles and other ways to approach the guitar and also sadly i have no money really to put towards an electric guitar so my urge to be incredibly loud and energetic in my guitar playing is left unsatisfied..... for now