Topic: What's your favorite book???

I was just reading Zurf's post saying he had a copy of "The Hobbit" in case of a restless night (Great book and series!) and I was just wondering how many book lovers we have on the site? What's your favorite book, series, genre, author? Maybe we can exchange a few names and find some good reading smile I'm a very avid reader myself.. Always have been... Was even in the (whispers) "library club"  back in high school smile I read pretty much anything... 
The last 5 I've read where
"State Of Fear" by Michael Crichton  Great book and a superb read for anyone interested in global warming.
"King Solomon's Mines" by H. Rider Haggard I've read it twice... It's a good quick outdoors adventure.
"Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" Trilogy by Terry Brooks  I've read this a few times... A really great Fantasy action/adventure.
    Airships, wingriders, druids, sword fights, magic, etc... It has an old time pirate story feel to it but with a lot of fantasy
    elements.
"They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" by Patrick F. Mcmanus   Zurf you would love these! It's a collection of funny outdoor 
     adventures (fishing,Camping, Hunting,etc) Some only cause a chuckle but some will bring tears to your eyes smile
"Sea Wolf" by Jack London   My Favorite Book smile Just an intriguing and thought provoking book!

I've just started on "The Gathering Storm" the new book in Robert Jordans "Wheel Of Time" series. It's been a great series but is about 10,000 pages long! I've read it twice through, over the years...

So what you Reading? smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: What's your favorite book???

Guitarpix wrote:

"State Of Fear" by Michael Crichton  Great book and a superb read for anyone interested in global warming.

Read that years ago - fantastic book, thoroughly researched footnotes and all.

I do my best reading during the summer months, give me a beach or pool, a cooler of beer and a good book and I can make a day of it. The rest of the year, my reading is pretty much accomplished on the throne smile.

I got the new James Patterson book, "I, Alex Cross" for Christmas. I've read most of his stuff, so I feel committed, but honestly, it's not as good as it once was. I get sickened by the selling of his name - i.e.: Co-written by..... give me a break.

I dig pretty much anything by Baldacci and Vince Flynn these days. There are others, but I am as bad at remembering authors as I am remembering titles. I have bought the same book twice on more than one occasion.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Michael Crichton, John Sandford, Clive Cussler, Louis LaMoure, James Rollins.

Just to name a few. Hard to find new books anymore.

Nelaq

I'm not much for reading anything other than the King James Holy Bible which i have yet to finish without starting over. I have read a few of Max Lucado books and a couple of Autobiographies by some of the retired pro wrestlers. I guess i'm more of a magazine reader.

I enjoy reading Steinbecks "of mice and men" at least once a year mostly I read Chess manuals for study but I did get a book a few months ago Forbidden Knowledge by Roger Shattuck that is really interesting reading, also Chariots of the Gods by Von Daniken I enjoyed smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

6 (edited by Zurf 2009-12-30 15:43:27)

I like Bible study.  I think the Gospel of Luke is my favorite.  It's all action, no fluff.  Just get to the good stuff and move on.  It's like the whole message of the New Testament in twenty pages.  Anyway, I got a copy of Henry's Commentary on the whole Bible as I've been struggling my way through Psalms for some while. 

What I read most now are the Federal Acquisition Regulation and associated audit manuals and announcements of proposed rulemaking.  Exciting stuff.  Not.  But it interests me and puts food on my table and a roof over my family's head and for that I am immensely grateful. 

Lieven, may I recommend the Wizard of Earthsea Trilogy?  I think it's by Ursula Le Guin.  The first book is "The Wizard of Earthsea."  I don't remember the other titles.  Each book is short.  They're easy to read with a mellow pace, but not boring.  The characters are very believable.  The landscape she paints is easy to imagine, and the character development is interesting.  I like that it's an island world with many boats and on-water scenes.  It's more like bays and ocean than my beloved rivers, but water is water.  You get a real feel for the personalities of the characters.  It starts with the wizard as a young man full of himself and ends with him as an older, humbler man.  It is a morality tale, but the moral of the entire tale is worthwhile food for thought and not religious in any way (as I know that offends some).  If you are a fan of JRR Tolkein, I think you'd like it.  It was first published in late 1960's and early 70's, but is still in print in paperback I think. 

Another trilogy series and fantasy world is Stephen R. Donaldson's Horsemen series.  Horsemen of Ra or some such.  Hopefully someone here will know what I'm talking about and correct me.  I didn't much care for it, but I think you may connect with the main character given the situation of the hero of the series. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am currently reading Clive Cussler.  The last Dirk Pitt series.  Before that I read everything tom Clancy wrote.  I am looking for a new author after clive, so I will watch this thread closely.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Until recently, I've been reading George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I finished the 4th book (Feast for crows) and have to wait for the next one to come out. It's really a great series but George RR Martin is really taking his sweet time for the next book.

Otherwise, I've picked up Ken Follet's The Pillars of Earth and can't stop reading. It's a novel about medieval times in England right after the passing of King Henry and centers around the building of a cathedral. Lots of action and amazing character development.

I highly recommend both, but please be aware that these books contain quite a bit of violence and other mature themes. DEFINITELY NOT SUITED FOR CHILDREN.

I usually read several books at once.  I love history, and have been working through "The Green Flag:  A History of Irish Nationalism."   I've also been on a Neal Stephenson tear, I picked up "Snow Crash" and devoured it, which inspired me to go pick up "Quicksilver."   It made me glad to see some of the familiar names from "Cryptonomicon" and a revival of their essences.   Stephenson can bring a character to life better than most authors.  The only one that does it as well, I think, is Steven King.  I'm also finishing up William Gibson's Sprawl Trillogy.   I just finished "Count Zero" and am going to pick up "Mona Lisa Overdrive" as soon as I find a copy at Half Priced Books.

I just finished up a study session on Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest" and am just starting Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz."

"Pillars of the Earth" is a fantastic read.  The follow up, "World Without End" is also great, even though it's pretty much the exact same story substituting in a bridge for a cathedral.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

If you like dogs try "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I just finished it and the story is told from the perspective of a dog. Sounds crazy but is actually a great read.

I can't say I have a favorite; I'll read just about any fiction that crosses my desk/nightstand and over the years there have by many good ones and many bad ones as well.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Great passtime, l'll say, most reading I do is in the winter. couple favs,   The last Canadian by Willian Heine, and The Great Deperssion by
Pierre Burton,  Vimy Ridge by Burton was a great read also. good thread,

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Guitarpix wrote:

I was just reading Zurf's post saying he had a copy of "The Hobbit" in case of a restless night (Great book and series!) and I was just wondering how many book lovers we have on the site? What's your favorite book, series, genre, author? Maybe we can exchange a few names and find some good reading smile I'm a very avid reader myself.. Always have been... Was even in the (whispers) "library club"  back in high school smile I read pretty much anything... 
The last 5 I've read where
"King Solomon's Mines" by H. Rider Haggard I've read it twice... It's a good quick outdoors adventure.
"Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" Trilogy by Terry Brooks  I've read this a few times... A really great Fantasy action/adventure.
    Airships, wingriders, druids, sword fights, magic, etc... It has an old time pirate story feel to it but with a lot of fantasy
    elements.
"They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" by Patrick F. Mcmanus   Zurf you would love these! It's a collection of funny outdoor 
     adventures (fishing,Camping, Hunting,etc) Some only cause a chuckle but some will bring tears to your eyes smile
"Sea Wolf" by Jack London   My Favorite Book smile Just an intriguing and thought provoking book!

I've just started on "The Gathering Storm" the new book in Robert Jordans "Wheel Of Time" series. It's been a great series but is about 10,000 pages long! I've read it twice through, over the years...

my fav book is brobobly one of the twilight books by stephanie myers:)

Ok some books ive read recently. I recommend all.

J A Kerley--------- Blood Brother ----- I Just loved this book. Very graphic in parts.

Lee Child---------- Echo Burning...... Jack Reacher,! need i say more ?

A J Jacobs------ The year of living Biblically.  It's just not what you think it is .   Just  hilarious to read. . i loved it.

Colum McCann-----Dancer ---- Loosely  based on the life of Rudolp Nureyev. The love of his Art or the  choice of his communistic homeland. I loved it.
[maybe not everyones cuppa.]

Barac Obama------ The Audacity od Hope. [ Loved the man even more after reading his book ]

Martha Longs Triology. ----- Ma he sold me for a few Cigerettes . true story about a wee girl growning up in the harsh reality that was Ireland in the fifties.
The  Dublineese language in these books i feel would be diffficult for Americans to read. and understand . Or it may be printed differently for your markets.

.Elizabeth Gilbert ----- Eat Love and Pray. .I was ragin with myself when i read this book. WHY DIDNT I THINK OF GOING TO ITALY, INDIA, OR BALI ? Oh yeah ! lol my kids needed me!. Its a lovely heart warming book to read..

Susan Jeffers------- Feel the fear and do it Anyway"  I was given this book many years ago.   My health put my life in question.
This was   the best  gift at that time i recieved. May i say " It still is" . Ive bought hundreds of copies of this book as  gifts over the years. Its a must have  book read and  KEEP..

I have a very old edition Of Ethel Mannin " Late have i loved thee". Its about St Agustine" For those who like this kind of book,
i highly recommend.
Anyone here who like dogs should read  "The Call of the wild " Jack London.  [  super read.]

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Reading Ozzy Osbournes autobiography at the moment, its excellent.

cheers.

gag.

Strats Rule Forever !!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ADVENTURES OF A RELUCTANT PRINTER  --  by David Butler,  aka ''Buvvy''. It's in the publishing stage at the moment, and will hopefully be out in about a month from now.
Other than my first foray into novel writing, I read anything and everything in the line of mysteries and adventure. I also enjoy browsing thru my collection of guitar mags and surf mags, which date back to the early sixties. cool

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I've read a couple really great books recently:

The Book Thief by Mark Zusak- excellent read depite being under the 'young adult' section. The writing style is a little different, sort of punctuated, but its really striking. Its a sad story, but very well written, and its about two of my favorite things: children and books. The fact that its narrated by the person of Death is what initially intrigued me, and I was not dissapointed. I'd almost call it my favorite book even though I've only read it once.

The Road by John McCormick (is that the right name?)- Another sad one actually (I guess I'm no good unless you're looking for something to make you cry am I?). Its a post-apocolyptic America and the story of a man and a boy trying to survive. Its vague, and at first the writing can be a little confusing (it jumps around alot). My bf recommended this one and I was pleasantly surprised. Its a quick read.

Don Qixote- I'm actually in the middle of this one. Its a classic, but don't let that scare you. Its genuinely entertaining, which I think proves something about quality that I won't get into lol

I'm currently reading the Shardlake novels by CJ Samson. They are murder mysteries set in the reign of Henry VIII. The fisrt one is called Dissolution. Followed by Dark Fire and Sovreign. If you like whodunits and a bit of history this  will appeal.

As to all time favorite - impossible to tell but I do like to read HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and its sequels. they improve with time

Hey!  I think I'd like a chance at making The Adventures of a Reluctant Printer my new favorite book.  When's it due out Buvvy?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

19 (edited by Old Doll 2010-01-11 00:58:31)

johncross21

The latest Hitch Hikers was launched in London Just recently. Eoin Colfer is my friends Nephew , she was at the launch.  Heres a link for you.

http://eoincolfer.com/news/category/hit … he-galaxy/

Some hitch hiker fans were not to pleased he was asked to write the 6th book, They felt no one could
write it like Adams. But Adams wife did, so asked Eoín to do it.

Ps Buvvy, Id buy your book as well sir.
So keep us posted pleased.

Old Doll.

Oh boy, favorite book, where do I start.  Well first and foremost, I am a bookaholic and have been since childhood.  If there's a bookstore anywhere, I have GOT to check it out.

Now, I'll start with "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne.  Stories by Robert E. Howard..(Conan, Kull, and many other fantasy/sword and sorcery adventures), Volcano books ( I have collected over 209 of them and eagerly scan for more.)  Geoscience books in general. 

LOTR by Tolkien

The Book of bad songs, by Dave Barry
Miles from Nowhere by Dayton Duncan
Any Star Trek books I can get my hands on.

A lot of what I read depends upon what strikes my fancy and grabs my attention.  But, a book is never very far from my reach, especially if I have to go someplace and wait.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Old Doll

I'd like to read Eoin Colfers sequel to Hitchhikers. I would also like to read Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - its also  been highly recomended. 

John

Hi Johncross,

If you want to wait a while ill get  the hitchers guide autographed
for you. My friend is away at the moment sunning here derrier air off. Lucky her.

Old Doll

ozymandias wrote:

Oh boy, favorite book, where do I start.  Well first and foremost, I am a bookaholic and have been since childhood.  If there's a bookstore anywhere, I have GOT to check it out.

Now, I'll start with "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne.  Stories by Robert E. Howard..(Conan, Kull, and many other fantasy/sword and sorcery adventures), Volcano books ( I have collected over 209 of them and eagerly scan for more.)  Geoscience books in general. 

LOTR by Tolkien

A lot of what I read depends upon what strikes my fancy and grabs my attention.  But, a book is never very far from my reach, especially if I have to go someplace and wait.

Robert Jordan did a 3 or 4 book series on Conan that I'd recommend you check out if you haven't!  If your a fantasy fan I'm sure you've read or at least heard of his "Wheel of Time" series Great stuff. If you haven't read those yet, you're in for a real treat smile Terry Goodkind and Terry Brooks are two other fantasy authors I think you'd really enjoy!

Buvvy, Congrats man!!  You know I'm going to need one signed and mailed!! (I'll pay of course)  Drop me an email when it's available! You know, my best friend growing up shared your name...

Several other great books mentioned that I'm going to have to check out!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

LOTR by Tolkien

Robert Jordan did a 3 or 4 book series on Conan that I'd recommend you check out if you haven't!  If your a fantasy fan I'm sure you've read or at least heard of his "Wheel of Time" series Great stuff. If you haven't read those yet, you're in for a real treat smile Terry Goodkind and Terry Brooks are two other fantasy authors I think you'd really enjoy!

Buvvy, Congrats man!!  You know I'm going to need one signed and mailed!! (I'll pay of course)  Drop me an email when it's available! You know, my best friend growing up shared your name...

Several other great books mentioned that I'm going to have to check out!

I'll check them out.  Thanks for the suggestions.

"When I get a little money, I buy books, And; if any is left, I buy food and clothes."  --Erasmus

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi Zurf, Dolly and Pix. Thanks for the comments. The book should be out in about  month or so from now. It is still in the editing stage, which takes time, which is frustrating as patience isn't my strongest attribute. The artist has started on the illustrations, so it is all coming together. I have a nephew in London, UK, and a niece in Vancouver, Canada, who are in the IT business, so I am planning to see what they can do for me in the line of internet marketing and sales.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.