Re: What's your favorite book???

The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami changed my reading habits for the better! So it has to be my favourite book.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Just got on and read your latest, I too am an avid reader with a long list of favorite authors. Best ever book would have to be Word of Honour by Nelson De Mille... closely followed by Dolls Eyes by Barre Wood, spooky.... great fan of Ian Rankin ( crime)
Andrew Klavan ( crime) Ben Elton & Robert G Barret. Not sure if this is the correct area to discuss books like yourself but we will soon find out.... Happy reading :-)

My favorite book of all time is "The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy.
He writes beautifully and has a wonderful talent for bringing the characters to life.

lilwing wrote:

I've read a couple really great books recently:

The Book Thief by Mark Zusak- excellent read depite being under the 'young adult' section. The writing style is a little different, sort of punctuated, but its really striking. Its a sad story, but very well written, and its about two of my favorite things: children and books. The fact that its narrated by the person of Death is what initially intrigued me, and I was not dissapointed. I'd almost call it my favorite book even though I've only read it once.

Fine choice, just read it myself - highly recommended!

Also:

All Jack Reacher books by Lee Child
All Charlie Parker books by John Connolly
All Tom Thorne books by Mark Billingham
All Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais
All Sarah Linton books by Karin Slaughter
All Poldark books by Winston Graham
Pretty much anything by Nelson DeMille, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, Mark Gimenez, Lisa Gardner...

AND HARRY POTTER!!!!!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

"Vesuvius, a biography" by Alwyn Scarth

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

johncross21 wrote:

I'm currently reading the Shardlake novels by CJ Samson. They are murder mysteries set in the reign of Henry VIII. The fisrt one is called Dissolution. Followed by Dark Fire and Sovreign. If you like whodunits and a bit of history this  will appeal.

As to all time favorite - impossible to tell but I do like to read HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and its sequels. they improve with time

Hello Sir,

I have a  Signed first edition book by Eóin Colfer for you as promised.. Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy. Can you email me your address
or a postoffice box to send it please.

Thank you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and its sequels.
defianatley some of my favs. I like anything about history.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I just finished "war of the worlds" by H.G. Wells the original version quite differen't from the Tom Cruse and Gene Barry movies but almost word for word with the English Version (I have a copy on videotape) its a lot better when you can use your imagination to picture what the characters look like plus the locations good reading smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I just finished "war of the worlds" by H.G. Wells the original version quite differen't from the Tom Cruse and Gene Barry movies but almost word for word with the English Version (I have a copy on videotape) its a lot better when you can use your imagination to picture what the characters look like plus the locations good reading smile

Agreed  I always prefer the book version to the movie.  My imagination has much better special effects and acting!  <grin>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I'm not one for reading but I have to say congrats buvvy big_smile You got to be pretty excited about being published. Let us know when your book is out and how to get it...I gotta start reading sometime. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kinda like you KAP, don't read that much unless it's a "how to" book. Gf is avid,avid reader, mostly dog
    books but many others too. I admire all of you that are big readers. Guess I'm too restless or something?

Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

papaguitar wrote:

Kinda like you KAP, don't read that much unless it's a "how to" book. Gf is avid,avid reader, mostly dog
    books but many others too. I admire all of you that are big readers. Guess I'm too restless or something?

Mike

Maybe you just have to find something that interest you? It takes a really good book to get me to get into it.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

You are so right Selso. I just have a hard time reading anything other than informative material. Do
    like sci-fi tho. How about a sci-fi story surrounding a musician? Has anyone read or knows of one?
    Now that I could get into. Thanx Selso,           Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

old doll

thanks

john

Ooops JohnCross,

I forgot to post here to say "your book went in the post early last week ! Hopfully you recieved by now.

Old Doll.

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I have read it so many times and it never gets old.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

The Adventures of a Reluctant Printer by David  ''Buvvy''  Butler. For those of you who might be interested the book is now available on the net and the information is listed below in the Market Place section.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

I'm taking a history class, focusing on American mythology.  The vehicle for the class is baseball, an aspect of America that produces all kinds of legends and myths.  Anyway, the textbooks are Ken Burns: An Illustrated History, and Bernard Malamud's "The Natural."   Both are fantastic books that I would (and have) read before.

So I'm going to get an A.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

My love of books has been with me since childhood and began with Wind in the Willows which my father made me read during school summer holidays, (Mrs Buzzwagon refers to me as Toad!), and I'll read pretty much anything but:

I love anything by James Clavell but especially Tai Pan and Noble House.

Roddy Doyle has written some classic Irish comedies.

Like many, all the Hitchhikers books

Anything by Terry Pratchett

I love history books and I'm currently reading a book called "The Last of the Few" about those that fought in the Battle of Britain.

Up next, and delivered this morning by Amazon, "The Defence of the Realm. The Authorised History of MI5" by Christopher Andrew.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I just read The Borrowers to my eldesst.  She's old enough to read for herself but still likes me to read to her and I get a kick out of it too.  We're working on Nurse Matilda now.  Awesome fun.  The Borrowers and Stuart Little were favorites of mine when I was her age, and it's so cool to be able to share them with her now.  She is eating it up with a spoon!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Buzzwagon wrote:

Shogun by James Clavell was an excellent read! The story is very similar to the movie The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise but the character development is way more interesting.

mrjay wrote:
Buzzwagon wrote:

Shogun by James Clavell was an excellent read! The story is very similar to the movie The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise but the character development is way more interesting.

I read that one.  A long, but interesting read!

Shogun is also one of my favourites along with the others previously mentioned...

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest (Stieg Larsson)

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay
The Summer Tree
The Wandering Fire
The Darkest Road (made me cry at the end of the third book)

the Magicians by Lev Grossman

All wonderful cool

I'm the son of rage and love

buvvy wrote:

The Adventures of a Reluctant Printer by David  ''Buvvy''  Butler. For those of you who might be interested the book is now available on the net and the information is listed below in the Market Place section.

Hi Buvvy,

I finally got it downloaded.. I dont know what happened earlier in the year when i purchased through Paypal ! Well thought i did.. Waited for the post and nothing lol

The gombeen that i can be at times never thought to check had the transaction gone through.
It had not..

I had no problem at all this time using this new site..

I'll review when i read and get back to you..

From the Emerald

Old Doll.

Many thankx, Old Doll,  i  hope that  you  enjoy  the  read, paypal and all these funny internet things can be very 
c-o-n-f-u-s-i-n-g,  wellllll,  they  certainly  are  to  me??!!

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.