Topic: What about "better" amps

Which amp is better: TUBE or VALVESTATE, ANALOGUE versus DIGITAL.

They also have "HYBRID AMPS", combo of tubes and digital, resulting in a real great and polyvalent amp. Like a FENDER CYBERTWIN.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: What about "better" amps

A guess a purist would argue that a Tube amp is better and can make lots of very valid points. In my case I would argue that it depends on what we are doing with the amp. I have a Peavey Trans-tube Bandit, A Peavey Classic 30 tube Amp, and an old Peavey Studio Pro transitor amp....all of them sound good! My little Studio Pro is about 25 years old and has been used and abused and has never been serviced or had any problems...no tubes to go out or replace, no hum, warm-up, etc...

With so many of the modern amps and technology I would challenge many to be able to tell the difference in a blind hearing test...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Which is better for you, is the real question.
For me, tubes are much better. All I need is a good guitar (or 6) and an AC30, a Bassman, a JCM800, a Trainwreck, a Matchless, a Princeton...

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

jay & roadie, am I glad to own the different amps.
1) MARSHALL 2X65W VALVESTATE
2) a 100% tube amp: Marshall AS100D (ACOUSTIC AMP + TUBES)
3) FENDER CYBERTWIN: AND DIGITAL and TUBES.
4) Laney 30W & TUBE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have posted before, if you sing and play (and as little guitar as I play I had better sing) putting guitar and vocals through a P.A. can be the way to go.
A 200 watt, four channel Peavey driver with built-in spring reverb makes vocals sound nice and the tens and horns in the speaker cabinets easily handle my Gibson 330 through it's Korg A-4 effects pedal and Casey's djembe drum.
I can go through our 24 channel Mackie board with a vocal processor and six 300 watt self-powered J.B.L. EON speakers for large venues.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

To each their own, of course, but to me, the amp (a tube amp) is an indivisible part of the instrument. For instance, I almost never use an acoustic amp or a built-in pick up in an acoustic, even if they have them (esp. for recording) - those things are not part of the instrument. I would rather just have a mic, even if it means I can not move around.

On the other hand, for a solid body electric guitar an amp is required. It is part of the instrument.

I choose a tube amp for 3 key reasons: 1. Incredible dynamics - No SS device can match it, 2. the audience has 50+ years of experience of listening to guitars through tube amps - almost none of their favorite songs were through SS, 3. The transition between clean and distorted is smooth and gradual - changing volume, tone and grit with pick attack becomes part of your playing syle. Once you learn to do it, you can not go back.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

I have and love a Vox Valvetronix 30. It's one of the "hybrid" amps - a tube pre-amp section, digital effects and amp models, and a solid state power amp. The sounds are wonderful, and (to my ears, YMMV), a far cry beyond the pure digital amps or modelers. It has the dynamics and pick attack sensitivity Joe mentions above and puts a huge array of sounds at my disposal. Just my 2 cents.

jasko wrote:

I have and love a Vox Valvetronix 30. It's one of the "hybrid" amps - a tube pre-amp section, digital effects and amp models, and a solid state power amp. The sounds are wonderful, and (to my ears, YMMV), a far cry beyond the pure digital amps or modelers. It has the dynamics and pick attack sensitivity Joe mentions above and puts a huge array of sounds at my disposal. Just my 2 cents.

I too own a hybrid amp the Vox VT50 which is far better than any other amp in it's price range that i've tried. As Joe said once you have the experience with an amp that has such potiential you won't want it any other way.