Topic: Epiphones!

I've decided to but myself an electric when income tax comes in. I've been playing acoustic for 5 or 6 years now, but am very new to electric so I'm not wanting to spend a huge amount of money (in case I don't like it as much).
I've narrowed it down to two (and of course I'll have to play and see which feels best). Does anyone have opinions on or experience with either of these guitars?
My electric playing would be mostly simple power chording, and the occasional rudimentary blues picking (for now!), and alot of just playing around to learn my way around.
If it would affect responses in any way, I'm a girl. And not so big (something like 5' 2 1/2" and 116 pounds), so I don't want anything ridiculously heavy or oversized. My hands are also pretty small, but I play barre chords on my takamine dreadnought G340, and my dad's epiphone acoustic (which is as big as me) and I make it work because I have descently long fingers and I've learned how to stretch lol.
Anyway here you go, its between an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe and (also Epiphone) Dot Archtop. (I plan to purchase in store

****do not post links to products with a buy feature that have not been approved by the webmaster****moderator

Re: Epiphones!

Just for the fact that all LP copies weight in at around 10 lbs unless it's chambered and you are of small stature you should go with the DOT. Then again you might find a nice Strat or Tele that fits you alot better. Good luck with your decision.

What general types of music?

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

dfoskey wrote:

Just for the fact that all LP copies weight in at around 10 lbs unless it's chambered and you are of small stature you should go with the DOT. Then again you might find a nice Strat or Tele that fits you alot better. Good luck with your decision.

+1 on the weight of LP copies. They are heavy as hell. As dfoskey  says above: get a stratocaster or telecaster....easy to play, versatile and copies are plentiful. You can pick up a used MIM Strat for around $250-$300 US. Tele's are a bit higher maybe $50 or so. I own an Epi Dot and I like it but it's not as easy to play as my strat or as sonically diverse.
JMHO

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I love my Epiphone dot. It has that warm fuzzy blues tone perfected. It is big, you'll have to try it on for size. A fender might be a better fit, but you won't find a Fender made as well as the dot for the same price. I got my dot for about 250. You'll only get a squire for that price, and I've never seen a squire set up with less than a quarter inch string height at the 12th fret.

I've owned a squire strat before, and really am not interested in owning another one. Not that it was terrible the first few weeks, but after that I had alot of issues with the pick-ups and one of my frets was coming up. Not to mention my G tuning head went all loose on me and wouldn't hold tune. Not that I couldn't have just got a lemon, but I almost hate to trust that again and a Fender Strat is a little above budget....
General types of music? Think White Stripes...  I like alot of music though (The Hives, Coldplay, BB King, Kings of Leon, Led Zeppelin, Willie Nelson, The Srokes, The Kooks, The Rolling Stones, The Arctic Monkeys, Johnny Cash, The Waxwings, John Meyer... and I won't bore you anymore) The problem I guess is I want to play it all. I say think the White Stripes because I think I actually sound the most like Jack (and a little bit like Willie when I feel like it) than anybody and I've learned alot of their songs by ear over the years. (One of the first things I wanna do is plug and play Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground big_smile)

How about something like this:
***link removed spam moderator*** no unsolicited ads
or this:
***link removed moderator spam***
the popular Agile LP, but with a thinner neck profile, at about $200

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Joe these guitars seem very nice big_smile but can I buy them locally is the question lol I wouldn't want to pay for antyhing guitar-wise that I couldn't lay my hands on first.

I understand and no, you can only order them on the web.

With guitars, small things mean a lot and only actual playing reveals the critical details. That is why I divide the info on my site between DoWants (seems intersting) Demos (I've actually tried it) and Reviews (I've used it for some time, in varied situations).

People in our office, in the last year, have purchased 7 guitars from those 2 sites, with good results, but there is always a chance that you could get a clunker, I guess. We own both Epi and Agile LP-style guitars and both brands can be surprisingly good for the money.

Meanwhile, here is a song, from your end of the world, that everyone here is humming lately.
**link removed spam moderator***

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Joe D. Roadie wrote:

I owned one of those RondoMusic.com Agile LP Copies and it weighed in at 15 pounds.
It played beautifully but I sold it because I couldn't play it standing up for more than 5 minutes before my legs, neck and back started hurting severely.

They are great guitars but PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THEY WEIGH A METRIC TON!!!!!
You may not feel it when you take it out of the box but once you strap it on...the regret sets in quickly.
I tried playing with that thing for 2 years before I sold it for what I bought it for and got my Squier '51.

Haven't looked back a day since.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I play an older Dot ('98) and it is a big guitar - long wide neck but a nice value.  and a great versatile guitar.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

have you given an SG a shot? yeah, i know, everyone tries for the sg at one point or another...but that's for a reason. many guitar greats either have one or play.  SO...the sg will be a good call for you. I have one, and i freakin scream. it is such a versitile guitar too.
so, give it a shot...and good luck smile

Detman101 wrote:
Joe D. Roadie wrote:

I owned one of those RondoMusic.com Agile LP Copies and it weighed in at 15 pounds.
It played beautifully but I sold it because I couldn't play it standing up for more than 5 minutes before my legs, neck and back started hurting severely.

They are great guitars but PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THEY WEIGH A METRIC TON!!!!!
You may not feel it when you take it out of the box but once you strap it on...the regret sets in quickly.
I tried playing with that thing for 2 years before I sold it for what I bought it for and got my Squier '51.

Haven't looked back a day since.

=]
Dm

I have an AL2500 and it's about 12 lbs. Heavy as hell. Detman is dead on. I think everyone's 1st guitar should be a strat (or at least a copy of).

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

"I think everyone's 1st guitar should be a strat (or at least a copy of)."

If only you could get one with a hard tail bridge.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

hit the lights wrote:

have you given an SG a shot? yeah, i know, everyone tries for the sg at one point or another...but that's for a reason. many guitar greats either have one or play.  SO...the sg will be a good call for you. I have one, and i freakin scream. it is such a versitile guitar too.

How heavy is the SG? I've always liked those but wondered how versatile they actually were.

I used to own a SG there about the same as a stratocaster with a double cutaway there are only 3 posistions on the toggle so unless the switch is modified its limited to treble mid and bass its a fine blues guitar I guess it comes down to what you prefer smile

lilwing wrote:
hit the lights wrote:

How heavy is the SG? I've always liked those but wondered how versatile they actually were.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

There  is only one way to find what you want when it come to guitar.

I have a gibson V and a Les Paul and fender tele deluxe and a PRS and a BC Rich and a yamahaCW350.  I love all of them but not all the time. You have to try them and really feel the guitar after you put them on and hold them, close your eyes and open you feelings, ask yourself if you feel good. hold on to them and were them to see if they are right for you. It takes time and thought to choose. I have a lot more guitars then the named above cos I love them all.

Music has a spirit and making music is spiritual creativity. Choose the axe that makes you smile.

That is all.
:COOL:

I'm really partial to the Fender Strats, Telecasters, and Gibson Les Pauls...  That being said and you mentioned your choices, I think the Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe would be an excellent choice. Those are typically quality (and affordable) guitars with a great sound and can easily be upgraded (or traded) using Gibson or aftermarket pickups, tuners, etc.. The Les Paul is such a versitile guitar in that it can go just about anywhere in music...country, gospel, rock, grunge, metal, etc... I have nothing negative about the Epiphone Dot, but I just like the Les Paul models better. Being a mere girl with a heavy guitar? Nah, grab that guitar and show em!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

My buddy had a Epiphone 12-string that held a tune better than any guitar I ever saw.
He took that thing indoors into warmth, then out in the cold, then drug it aboard a damp tugboat and out into hot sunlight and I never found more that two strings on that guitar more than slightly out of tune.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

SO I DECIDED....
    After much research and mental debate, I walked into guitar center and fell in love with the Epiphone G-400 (SG), in an unlaquered cherry wood. I got a Fender Vibro Champ (tube amp) for a steal as well.
  And its the perfect weight and size big_smile

Congrats on your new buy. I bet it sounds awesome. Pics please.