Topic: Tomatoes

OK this I found so weird that I had to share.

I like tomatoes, they are great in salads, also sauces for pasta and adding to dishes and even to make baked beans more palatable but I found tomatoes used in a way that I would never have thought possible. Tomato jam (or jelly for my American and Canadian friends) "doce de tomate" in Portuguese.

I just had to buy a jar to try it and, although I had some doubts, I found that I really enjoyed it - suits my sweet tooth.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this or anything else that is out of the ordinary.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Tomatoes

Botanically speaking, tomatoes are berries.  Why not jelly?  (Or jam for my European friends)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Never heard of that either, but I would try it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi Roger,

From your description, the first thing that came to mind was a sweet tomato aspic... sounds yummy!

Just up the road a bit from us here is a farm that processes all kinds of specialty foods, and they make a Habenero Pepper Marmalade that is really nice.  You'd think a pepper that hot would be painful to spread on your morning Croissant, but the sugar content takes the fire right out of them.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey Roger, Never heard of tomatoe jam------sounds worth trying. Have tried jalapeneo jelly
and really like it. Sweet with a hot after bite.    mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Sounds fine. They make all sorts of fruit salsas so why not a tomoto jam?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My mother used to make tomato and pineapple jam. Yummo - still remember it like it was only yesterday. Must get the recipe and have a go myself.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Interesting... and yes, technically tomato is a "fruit" although we often think of it as a veggie... I like sliced tomatoes with a little sugar sprinkled on them, I imagine the jam could be pretty good!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey Amy,

You have just reminded me; a million years ago when I was a child, my mother used to give my brother and I tomato sandwiches with sugar on them as it was the only way we would eat them. I think I will have that for my tea today and reminisce.

Chevo,

The pineapple and tomato jam sounds good. If you obtain the recipe please post it and I hay try my hand at making some.

Mike,

I will take a raincheck on the jalapeneo jelly. Although I have a very sweet tooth I have an intense diskile for anything spicy or hot but I am sure it will apeal to many others.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Tomato and Pineapple Jam Recipe

2.5kg (6lbs) tomatoes
2 lemons (juice of 1 and grated rind of 1)
Medium size pineapple (can use tinned but not too much juice)
1 teaspoon salt
2kg (4.5lbs) sugar

Boil tomatoes and then strain through colander. Return to pan and add all other ingredients. Boil until cooked and reduced (should be runny not thick).

Bottle hot.

Hope it works for you.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster