Topic: Who You Might Have Been

This song is about all the talented people who get taken from us just after they finally make it to stardom. It is also about how people wonder what might have been had they stuck around.

Who You Might Have Been By Jeff Gilpin

February 11th, 2010

[A]You left us[F#]

And we wanted [Bm]more[E]

[A]Teased us [F#]

What else was in [Bm]store[E]

[D]Just when we got it

[Dm]Just when we found

Your [A]star [Em11]started to [F#]shine

You went a[Bm]way [E]

And we could only look [D]behind[A] [E]

[A]We look back[F#]

To where you be[Bm]gan[E]

[A]Wondering[F#]

How did you [Bm]land[E]

[D]Right in the spot light

[Dm]Center stage

Where we [A]marveled [Em11]how you got [F#]there

And then you [Bm]left us [E]

Seems so un[D]fair [A] [E]

[A]I wonder[F#]

Why that it [Bm]seems [E]

[A]The brightest [F#]

At the peak of their [Bm]gleam[E]

[D]Get derailed

[Dm]Taken away

We [A]gaze on [Em11]wondering what might have [F#]been

But can only [Bm]imagine[E]

Who you might have [D]been[A]

updated - I thought Dm sounded better in line 6 of the verses than D7...a little tinkering is all

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Who You Might Have Been

Well, it's obvious this song is not about me!  Another good one sir.  jodyWayne

Thanks Jody - Who knows, you might be one of those shining stars that stays around for a while. Give it time.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Very thought provoking Jeff,

This can also apply to just about every walk of life. big_smile

Nice write and I look forwards to a recording.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks Kenny - I have some house guests in my recording studio right now so it might be a while but I will put it on my list. I kind of like the tune and the whole idea of all the what might have beens I never got to see.

J  E  T  S

Very thought provoking Jets.

As me Mam always said " Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it !

Good writing as always.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I really like the lyrics on this one and also the way the Dm works in ther chord progression is very well done.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

Thanks Lena and serious. I'm kind of glad I'm one of those  out of the spotlight people...not sure I could handle it. Serious, I like the Dm too...last couple of days I've just play the chords by themselves as I like this progression as well.

J  E  T  S

hi jeff,

this is such a sad song because we all know someone who's light burned bright only to be extinguished too soon. and i'm not talking hendrix or lennon, though they were super nova's, but so many others, some on the way to super stardom. i'd like to mention here two guys from my neck of the woods who played in a band called "badfinger" and wrote one of the classic rock tracks of all time....see if anyone knows their names, and the title of the song?

sorry jeff, went off on one there! great song, makes me think and mourn the artistes it refers to.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by bud_wiser 2010-02-14 21:25:47)

Excellent work. Very thought provoling as someone said above.

You kinda wonder if it's a price some of these people would have been willing to pay had they know in advance. I prefer to think not, but I think the whole fame thing can often be seen as a bit of a deal with the devil.

I guess that's why I "choose" being unknown here in my blissful obscurity instead wink

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I really like the words you have here.  Like other's have said, it could go for so much more than just those in stardom.  I actually could see this just for a fallen loved one even.  I love songs that could have double meanings!  Let us know when it's recorded... I can't play a Bm or an F# yet... so I'll have to wait to hear it recorded to know how it truly sounds... but the chord progressions look good!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks Mark and mekidsmom - I guess this could be for a loved one thinking back on it now. Not my intent when I wrote it but I can see how it would fit.

J  E  T  S