Topic: Let's talk about strings . . .

Hey, folks:

I have a 2009 Martin D-35.  I love it.  I'm a relative newbie and I usually play it at least two hours per day.

I've changed the strings on it a few times since buying it in August, and I've tried a few different brands (D'Addario, Ernie Ball and Martin) so far.

All of them sound GREAT -- but some for only a few days, at which point they seem to go totally dead.  I had heard and read good things about the D'Addarios but I was disappointed.  I took them off after only a few weeks and replaced them with Ernies.  They were OK for a while, but didn't last as long as the original (Martins) that were on there when I bought it.  So I put Martins on it again, and they've been on there for a couple of months now.

The ones in my experience which seem to hold the nicest tone for the longest time are the Martin SP Phosphor Bronze (medium gauge).  It has me wondering if that is because my guitar is also a Martin. (?)

So I'm looking for is some guidance.  Here are the questions for discussion:

In your experience, are certain brands of strings better suited for certain brands of guitars?  if so, what do you look for when matching them up?

I've heard your body chemistry (pH of your sweat and skin oils) can also make "good" strings sound bad quickly while leaving "bad" strings alone, which may lead you to a false impression of the quality of the strings.  In other words, it's player-dependent in some cases.  What's your experience here?

Again, looking for some help on a logical way to determine what are the "best" strings for my guitar and me.  Is there any real method to it, or, is it a trial-and-error thing like I've been doing?

Thanks,
'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

2 (edited by craig23 2010-01-30 05:15:09)

Re: Let's talk about strings . . .

I use Elixers on my Taylor and love them. There are some people that call them fad strings. They have a coating that suposedly makes them last longer. The people that dislike them will say that any coating will deaden the string. I can see thier point. They came on my Taylor and are reccomended by them. They seem to last a long time and sound good to me so I haven't switched. They do cost more, but if they cost twice as much and last twice as long, (actual milage may vary) then I'm saving the time it takes to change strings right? I don't know if its just me, but I think heavier gauge strings last longer than lighter gauge strings. I'd love to hear if anyone else has noticed that. Maybe everyone knows that and I've just been left out of the loop. Heavier strings sound better too. Yes, harder on your fingers and harder to bend, I just try not to think about it. I use Fender strings on my Strat and Tele. To me they sound the best on thier guitars. I tried Ernie Ball on them and switched back to the Fenders. I have tried DRs before too, but anything that comes out of the package rusted is junk. The windings were all uneven I could have just had a bad set, but I've never had a set that bad from any manufacturer. I will not try them again. Ernie Ball sounds good on my Epiphone Dot and those same Fenders do not. I also have an Epiphone ES-295, but I haven't had it long enough to decide what strings I like on it yet. You would think that you could find one brand of strings that you like and put them on all your guitars and they would all sound good, but thats not the way it works. I think that certain brands accentuate attributes of any given guitar. Good or bad. The thing is, its completely subjective. I love The way Clapton's guitar sounds on The Blues Breakers, Derek and the Dominoes, and the live Rainbow albums. Thats exactly how I want my Electrics to sound. I know he uses Ernie Ball now but I don't know about then. Even if he did use Ball strings back then, these are the ones that make my guitars sound like his. Even if I can't play that well, I still want "that" tone. That may not be what you want yours to sound like. Also wash your hands before playing that will help with the grit, grime and oils.

Yup,  there's gonna be a lot of differing opinions on this one for sure.... not that it's a bad thing.

Like Craig says, it is purely subjective, and each instrument will seem better (to your ear) with one set, and the other guitar in your rack will really not like that same diet.  For the most part Phosphor Bronze have that nice even tone that "most" folks will like and hold that for a good while after the initial stretching period.  Because of the differing alloys from one brand to another, heat treatments, etc. the identical guage string will differ a bit.  When you find that sound you like and it stays around even after a couple of weeks of retuning and temp changes, that's the one your guitar and you will be happy with.

When you find the "right" combination, make a note of it and hope they never discontinue that line. 

Keep Experimenting &
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I use Elixir Nanowebs and like them very much. It also helps to wipe the strings and neck after playing. Try one of these for cleaning under the strings www.the-swipe.com (I've only just got one so can't comment yet but it was recommended by a friend who reckons they do the job).

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Strings are almost a personal preference item. I own about a dozen guitars and hate restringing so I use Elixirs mostly. They last longer. I'm also a fan of Martins for my acoustics (none of which are Martins). I don't believe different brands of guitars are suited for different strings. It's all in the set up and components (nut, bridge pins, etc.)

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Each to his / her own. I have had good luck with D'addario' (light & custom lights) phosporus bronze. Great sound, good life and playability. But thats just me. As a rule of thumb you can go 1 guage up or 1 guage down without affecting anything. Anything more or less may call for setting up your guitar to match the new strings. Check to see what was recommended from the manufactor for your guitar and stay within that range. The rest is all by trial and error until you find what you like.

nela

I love women with strings.
IT IS REALLY DIFFICULT TO TELL WHICH STRING IS BETTER.
TEST: take a MARTIN guitar (or another brand), put Elixir, d'Addario, Martin, Gibson, even "special offer strings" and play: 1 GUITAR 5 different strings

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I spent a good 2 years experimenting with different strings on my CA. I used to keep every package, writing the date installed, initial impressions, date replaced and why replaced (i.e. snapped string, dead sound, etc.). After trying many, many brands I have settled on John Pearse 80/20's for both my CA and my 12 string. They are just the best sounding string to me and seem to last as long as any coated string I have ever tried.

If you are experimenting, I suggest giving John Pearse strings a shot.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I have recently gotten back into learning,NOTE I said "learning",and find the art of picking the right strings for each guitar (I now have a New Yorker Pro.,an Aria (my fave)pro II ,model TA 30,and a Fender Starcaster,and a Harmony Accoustic),like fishing hard baits,I sometimes am attracted to the packaging when it comes to strings,but lately the only strings I have been buying are Ernie Balls,and I am curious if a manufacturer would take time to try different strings out before making a rec. as to what string worked for that guitar,if car makers had taken the time to drive,use a car before giving it a name.........what would the Pinto have been named..............just my worn and used 2 cents............

10 (edited by mskjlk 2010-02-21 02:24:03)

'Nom,

My strings of choice are Optima gold-plated.  The sound stays great for a darn sight longer than regular strings, intonation is better, and they are certainly well worth the money.

I'm a seaman and take my Hofner Shorty with me onboard.  Regular strings degrade remarkably quickly on the ship, I think it's down to the salt in the environment and what inevitably builds up on my hands.  The Optimas do cost 2-3 times the price of good quality strings, but find I can get at least 4-5 times the life out of them.

Optima do chrome plated too, a bit cheaper, but I like the sound of the gold a little more,  or, if you're bothered about look and don't want gold strings on chrome hardware (does make you look like you've put acoustic wound strings on your electric!).

I'm not sure where to get them from in the US, but http://www.astrings.co.uk/ is who I get them from here in the UK.