Topic: Strings for Martins

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to put new strings on my Martin A/E, I'm looking for a deep rich sound, I know it's a subjective subject, that everyone has their own taste, but I was just looking for recomendations as to what anyone like's, especially Martin owners, but not just Martin owners. I've tried Elixers on my Ibanez, D'addario but I guess I'm still trying to find the strings I like best. So any help would be much appreciated. Wilbaye, what about you I know you have a Martin, what strings do you like on yours?

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Strings for Martins

Play around not only with brands but materials.  If you want it to ring out like a piano, then try some bronze strings.  If you want to do some fast bluegrass picking along with banjo players and want some twang, then go to nickel.  For the deep rich bass you describe, maybe some D'Addorio silk and steel.  Warning, the silk and steel wear out in about 63 seconds.  Well, maybe a 'little' longer than that.  But they do lose their punch fast.  But while they've got their punch they sound very resonant. 

I've been enjoying the elixer nanos for a while but recently bought some D'Addorio EXP coated just to give them a whirl. 

Also, for bigger bass, try bigger strings.  Mediums if you are used to using Lights or something like that.  Any Martin ought to be able to handle the tension requirements of Mediums. 

Submitted for your consideration.  I'm no string expert, but I've played around a lot with different brands and materials and thicknesses and these are my observations with my guitar.  Your mileage may vary. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have Martin M-130 Silk and Steel on my Takamine G330 and love them. I guess they would be considered light (.0115 - .047) but they feel like extra light.  Depending on the song or style, I change picks.  There's a big difference in tone with different picks.

Hey Cam,

I have tried and used EXP's , Elixir Poly, & Nano webs, gibson, John Pearse, and others I can't remember, But to my ears I like Martin SP  12-54's the best and they seem to last nearly as long as the elixirs. All my other guitars I am using elixir nano's.
Everyone has strong opinions on strings, this is just what works for me smile

I think Pix prefers Martin strings on his also, kind of weird but I just feel mine sounds better with Martin strings.

Later, Wayne P

5 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-03-01 17:16:00)

Yep, I always used Martin SP 12-54's on my 2 D-18's. I tried several others ,like Wayne, but went back to the Martins. My 2nd choice was the Gibson Masterclass PB mediums... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix.  One D18 us enough for any man.  How about we start a new 'round the world' thread and send your spare D18.  I volunteer to be the first recipient...

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I kinda like D'Addario Bluegrass (Light tops, Med bottoms) in Phosphor Bronze.  Hold up well and have a bit more in the Bass Tones.

Been paying about $8.50 a set locally for them (list at $13.50) and so far have had really good results.... granted they are not coated like the Elixers I use on my electrics, so if you can stand a little squeak, good value and sound.

Good Hunting, &
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I want second on that, Zurf.  You'd probably send me a Silvertone or Rogue.  Yeah, nobody should own two D18's.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I want second on that, Zurf.  You'd probably send me a Silvertone or Rogue.  Yeah, nobody should own two D18's.

Sure.  You can be second in line for all the good it'll do you.  big_smile

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

Guitarpix.  One D18 us enough for any man.  How about we start a new 'round the world' thread and send your spare D18.  I volunteer to be the first recipient...

- Zurf

Sounds like a plan wink  If I still had them smile I bought the first one about 2 years ago (2008 model) and then sold it about 3 months later... Then I bought a early 80's model last year but sold it after 3-4 months as well. The tone was fine on both but the necks just don't fit my hands well. I like more radius to my fretboards... Martins are rather flat which is great for bends and such since they don't fretout but that and the neck profile combined was just too uncomfortable in my hands for my playing style. I've had my eye open for a 000-15s for fingerwork though... Got to give them one more try before I wash my hands of them wink -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

OK Pix,

I am not a dyed in Martin guy either , I like too many others  and that's not good on the pocket book. Anyway over the weekend I was at the local Guitar store and sat down with a couple new Martins.

I went in the sound room and closed the door , just me and a 000-28EC  and a SW0MGT  they both have the same size bodies. The Clapton signature model is a Rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. It was nice but it seems a little subdued or tight I don't know and it is not what I would call well balanced tone, I would never pay $3000 plus for this guitar.

Next comes the Sustainable wood series SW0MGT  this guitar is cherrywood back and sides and I have played this one before and really like this one alot. It has it's own voice and is very balanced it has more volume but not boomy, just a real sweetheart. Very nice neck and action and this guitar is priced around $1200.  After I played them both and being comparable in size. I concluded it aint always about what costs more.

In fairness, I have no idea what strings either guitar had on or how old they were and rosewood guitars usually open up alot.

Later, Wayne P

Zurf wrote:
bensonp wrote:

Sure.  You can be second in line for all the good it'll do you.  big_smile

- Zurf

That's what I was thinkin'

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've come to the philosophy that the fattest, gnarlyest, heaviest strings you can stand are the best ones.  I'm playing .12s on the electrics, and I'm looking for .13s on the acoustics.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi cam,of all the strings I have tried I liked the sound of the fenders strings the best. and martins after that. I use D'addarios on my guitars because they are in my price range as I have oily skin and have to replace them alot. I want my name added to pixs list for the D18,someday I will get my own!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I agree with guitarpix.  Martin SP's are the way to go.  Not only on Martin's, but any acoustic guitar.  When I was younger, I played .012's.  Now I play .011's.

Now available in 5G !

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I think when I change them I'm kinda, sorta, leaning towards the Martin SP's, just to give them a listen, if I don't like them, I can always change them, thanks again everybody.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Cam:  I've tried a variety of strings on my Martin D-35.  I've pretty much settled on Martin SP's (medium gauge phosphor bronze).  In my experience they sound fantastic for about a week, and after the stretching period they settle in to something less than fantastic, but still quite good.  I play usually 1-2 hours per day and find that I need to change them about evry 6-8 weeks.  That may be a bit too high maintenance for some people, but I don't mind it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.