Topic: Finally, my classical guitar held it's tune overnight.

It has taken 4 days of constant tuning to get my new nylon strings where they stay in tune.  MeK, is right you almost need two guitars to be able to play daily, if you restring a classical.  During my classical down time I went out the shop and built myself a foot rest so I can hold the classical guitar properly.  It took my 15 minutes with scrap wood and saved $20.00  Now I have to start growing my finger nails a bit longer on my right hand.  I'm going to try the finger picking of the strings and see what happens.  Can anyone recommend any EASY/BEGINNER English classical guitar songs?  I have found most of the music for classical guitar is in Spanish.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: Finally, my classical guitar held it's tune overnight.

Hey Tony, Was wondering if you have considered Jamplay or another learning site? Jamplay
     does have classical lessons tho I have'nt checked that section out. Lots of really good
     things to say about them. 20 bucks a month or less if you subscribe for a year. Best $
     I've spent.        Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Willie Nelson plays a classical guitar! When I had mine, I loved playing "on the road again", "blue eyes cryin in the rain", and "angel flying to close to the ground". Also the band CAKE featured a classical guitar WITH distortion. Just a couple suggestions outside the realm of classical. Which I know nothing about, other than I like it.

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2010-03-11 07:59:11)

Any Leonard Cohen song, especially those from the early days like Suzanne, Hej That's No Way, Bird on a Wire, So Long Marianne, Who by Fire, etc.
All the songbooks have chords, tabs with fingering and piano. (At least the ones I bought do!)

Tony, I like the "idea" of playing classical guitar in the traditional way... but for now, I'm using my classical more like a steel string.  Jusitinguitar.com does have some finger picking exercises on the site... and there's LOTS on youtube.  You could just try some finger picking with songs you already know (or at least have been practicing and can do some chord changes to).  That's what I do anyhow... I strum, I pick... I try to strum and pick.  I personally am considering putting acrylics on my right hand nails so that they'll be long enough to pick with.  Right now they are kinda "standard girl length" and it's not long enough.  My fingers do the picking.  You could try finger picks too (I didn't like them too much). 

If you want a little inspiration however... check THIS guy out!  I think he's AMAZING!  He has a lot of great "hits" to listen to, but this one he wrote himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlqKlqM … re=channel

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

MeK, That man on YouTube gives me inspiration, he looks to be about my age.  It's amazing how someone who knows what they are doing can get such sweet sounds out of their guitar.  When the man in the guitar store played my guitar for about 2 minutes I couldn't believe it.  It sounded like a totally different guitar.  He picked it up strummed it a couple of times, made one 1/4 turn on one string and then played it so beautifully.  I would love to get 1/2 that good....  FOR NOW!!!

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.