Topic: Tough GIG Ahead..........

Hello Chordians,

This coming Monday I will be performing in what might be my most difficult gig of all-time. A few weeks ago a band mate of mine passed away at the tender young age of 34 from a heart attack. His name is Shawn"Phat Daddy" White, my brother in music, master of the oboe, funky slap style bass, vocalist, and father of 4( ages 14, 2,3,& 4). Shawn could play PRIMUS tunes to the T!!!! Our band, Modulus, began in 1993. We played gigs together over the next few years and then we all parted ways, on very friendly terms with each other, to do our own things. Shawn, Eric, and I continued to play music as our sole occupation, Chris and Jayson got "real" jobs but continue to this day playing the occasional gig. Sadly, Chris and Jayson are far away and can't make it to the tribute. We all plan on getting together next year in the fall for a wedding gig for one our close friends.

Eric, the drummer in our band( Modulus) is organizing the tribute for Shawn. 30 or more of the Tampa Bay, Floridas' finest musicians are gonna get together and show our respect to Shawn and his family. 

At one of our fun filled rehearsals back around 1994, Shawn presented the band with an original song titled " I Don't Know". We played it a few times , I loved it then and I love it now. I'm gonna perform this song Monday night and hopefully I can get through it without sobbing like a sissyfied pansy.

Shawn was an amazingly gifted musician. There's a void in the air tonight and every night that longs for Shawns' amazing bass lines and magnetic, friendly personality.

Write and record your music folks! One never knows when it might be too late..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L( Toney Hall )

Give everything but up.

Re: Tough GIG Ahead..........

Hi Toney,

What a tragedy to be taken so young. Shawn had so much going for him that everyone around him, most especially his family, will be devastated.

It certainly will not be a an easy gig but I am sure that you will be a credit to his creativity.

Tears, by the way, are not a sign of a sissyfied pansy but of someone with empathy and a heart.

Sincere condolances to all who knew him.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good luck with the gig .

Toney that is so sad to hear of people taken away so early in life.  A heart attack is so rare at the age of 34.  I am 33 myself, and find it hard to imagine losing anyone near and dear to my heart that is around my age.  So many children and a wife left behind to wonder why makes it all that much worse.  I wish you strength during your performance... of course I agree with Roger, but I understand your desire to actually be able to do the song in a way that will do him justice.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend and clearly a fine musician, father and husband.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Toney my condolences on the loss of your friend and band mate I cant add anymore then whats already been said play his song and dont worry bout the tears celebrate his life and cherish his memory.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Here's to Shawn.  I am sure it will turn out great.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'm sure you'll all do Shawn proud.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Good luck with that man.....Hopefully you'll find the courage to get through it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

My condolences to you.  I'm sure your heart will fill in where your voice and fingers fail. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A song titled "I Don't Know" seems extremely appropriate to play as a tribute to a young man's untimely passing. Nobody knows when their time is gonna come. Toney - I know you will play with all the heart and feeling it deserves. A few tears shed  would seem appropriate.  My thoughts are with you and all of Shawn's friends and family.

And I hope you are heeding your own advice. "Write and record your music folks! One never knows when it might be too late.........." There's a certain CD I've been really wanting to listen to.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

My Dear Southpaw,

Feel your loss, while celebrating Shawns short life.. My thoughs are with his young wife and wee babies..

What a tragedy ..

Positive thoughts to you my friend.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Toney,

My condolences to his family and for your loss.

Hang onto the memories of Shawn while your playing, you will feel his presence and in your heart you will know that he is with you every strum of the way.

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hello Chordians,

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I will foward this thread to Shawns' family. I'm sure they will greatly appreciate your words and thoughts as well.

My wife and son joined me and many, many, others of Shawns' adoring fans, friends, and family. I made it through Shawns' tune (" I Don't Know") without sobbing during the song. I focused on a silly beer sign hanging from the bar, my lyric sheet, and did not dare make eye contact with my wife, my son, Shawns' family, or my bandmate Eric. I felt like I was singing with a cannon ball in my throat nontheless. Afterwards was a totally different story......

Shawn Jr. played drums with one the top Tampa Bay area bands and TORE IT UP !!!! Shawns' musical legacy is for sure safe with Shawn Jr..!!!!

I hope to have a video to post in a few days.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Congratulations on making it through Shawn's song without breaking down. That surely was not easy. Focusing on external things like the beer sign and lyric sheet distracted you enough to get it done.
There are several songs I play that can get me sobbing for whatever reason. My only hope is to split my concentration enough to sing with feeling but not too much.
Being a pro, Toney, you found a way to take your mind off your own grief and lift the spirits of the others present.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Toney I am pleased to hear you found a way to make it through the song.  Distracting yourself is a great way to make it all the way through, and with your emotions in the back of your throat... I am sure they came through in your playing and singing in a way that shares your true feelings and expression.  While I've NEVER been in your shoes, I know there's times when I've strayed my eyes from one that would have helped me to "lose it" so that I I didn't.  Blessings again for Shawn's family... how nice to hear that Shawn Jr. is continuing with the music!  His father obviously did him well by instilling a love of it in him!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Toney, my condolences and best wishes to you and his family.  Sounds like a musical tribute is just the thing, play it and let the tears flow, they will understand and appreciate.  And something tells me that you won't miss a note or beat.  Treasure the memories for they are a priceless treasure.  Take care.

Peace

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Good job Toney getting through it & all, sorry I don't have any good words to share on this subject except to celebrate life rather than weep for the loss.

We lit a candle for Shawn and his family here tonight...

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare