Topic: They are coming to take us away ha ha ... not so funny

You might want to make sure to save all the great songs you have put on your Songbook and soon. 

The legals took a run at another great guitar tutorial site, www.Guitarnoise.com   They were invited to lose all the tabs for the song tutorials.  Now the site is still a great resource but that was a huge aspect for many of us beginners. 

My guess... this site won't be long unattacked so just FYI, evasive action recommended.

Pop over to GN if you can and voice concern and support.  Maybe if there is a groundswell of opposition the music moguls will reconsider... nah -- but what can it hurt?

Good luck and many thanks Chordie!  You have done an incredible job here.

Jim

Re: They are coming to take us away ha ha ... not so funny

I have to admit, I'm really glad not to be in the music business anymore.  It's got to be nearly impossible to make a living with the prevailing attitude (including my own, at this point) being that creative works should all be free.

I wonder if anyone in the recording or music publishing industry has done the math yet to try to calculate whether allowing tabs to be posted free sells enough additional records/downloads to make it a wise business decision.  I know I have personally downloaded about a dozen songs in the past year at 99 cents a pop because I got the tabs for them and wanted the recording to either play along with or use as a reference for lyric phrasing, etc.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, browsing through the tabs listed on a site like Chordie has often poked me to download additional songs that I didn't know were by a certain artist.

This may be a twisted way of justifying why tab sites should be left alone, but I think there may be some logic worth considering here.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

It's sites like chordie that have grown my appreciation of music and led me to spend untold hundreds of quid on cd that I would simply not have bought before - because the recommendations come from guitarists who came to chordie for thechords or the tabs. That's where I started too.

You get the feeling that it's all an area that they just don't understand yet. Maybe they'll start publishing tabs or chords as part of the MP3, or separately, as another income stream. The main problem at the minute is that you can't get your hands on them any other way.

BTW you can use IPOD notes now to salvage what you can.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

4 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-03-22 15:17:31)

Honestly, the tabs and chords are not "complete arrangements"... so I don't understand why they are horribly upset about people sharing their versions ... if this was actual sheet music photocopied and shared that would be a different story (and I respect the copyrights in that respect).  Well... I do hope that in the event of tabs and chords no longer capable of being shared, that Chordie's forum would stay open.  I enjoy the connections and friends I've made here!

BTW... I completely agree with the above posters as well... my appreciation for different music has been spurred by fellow chordians, the music that is available, and has pushed me to also spend money on music that I wouldn't have otherwise bought... as well as purchasing things like song books (which are copyrighted and the original writers are getting their share from it!)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The music industry (The greedy part of it that the producers and CEOs live in) is quickly dying.
Right now, they are trying everything they can do to feed their bloated machine and take in more and more revenue. Even at the expense of destroying free thought, research and interest in the one thing that drives their machine.......MUSIC.

Things won't get better until everything falls apart and dies....and is subsequently reborn.

I've been saying the same stuff about the government for the past 10 years and no one agrees or understands.
The only way to make the govt better....get rid of em all and let the people (NOT CORPORATIONS) vote em in for real!!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I mirror many of the thoughts that eveyryone here has, especially MKM's comments on photocopied sheet music, I get that, and agree that would just be wrong,I even get that downloading music off the free internet sites are wrong, but if the worst happens, and we should lose the music it would be great if somehow we could keep this site open to all who have become friends here just to report in,and remain friends, that would be the greatest loss to me, to lose contact with everyone, everyone that has helped me, given advice, shared their lives,their milestones, music, friendship, suggestions, help and respect. But in the end I think we all know that the music company big wigs will win out, they have the money, high powered attorneys and the law's are geared toward them. Like so many others I have bought music that I would never had bought before and by artists that I never heard of before until I joined Chordie, so yes, I'm another one who has spent money because of sites like this one. I can't for the life of me understand what it is that they are missing here, anyway, just my two cents worth.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Detman101 wrote:

I've been saying the same stuff about the government for the past 10 years and no one agrees or understands.
The only way to make the govt better....get rid of em all and let the people (NOT CORPORATIONS) vote em in for real!!

Dm

I wholeheartedly agree.  Too many cooks in the Kitchen ruin the soup!  That's why I don't like politics.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm with ya Cam!

When that day comes, I'll be ready to sign and submit an affidavit to that effect in support of this Community.  There are enough members to garner a pretty good sized lobbying effort and war chest if needed to keep the music alive and available to those who would like to have an opportunity to appreciate it.

I'm listening, and buying, and playing stuff, that five years ago I wouldn't waste my time listening to the demo tracks standing in the aisle of my local CD store.  If it wasn't for Chordie and other sites like this, some bands and performers would fade into the ranks of "one hit wonders".

Thanks & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare