Topic: How do I fix a nut?

My dad bought a classical guitar about a year ago and a couple of months ago the nut on it broke. Exactly how do I fix it?
Do I just shove some silicone in between the new nut and the guitar, clamp it down and let it dry....or is there some really sketchy catch to this where I need to get someone with Experience?

no audience required.

Re: How do I fix a nut?

Well, I suppose that would work.... but generally they are glued with either an epoxy or superglue.  It's a good idea to scrape off any old glue residue before installing the new nut.  Even a wood glue would work, but you don't want to use anything that will not allow a firm hard bond so that vibrations can be transferred to the neck properly.

Be aware that unless it is a "factory" replacement, it will likely have to be filed (cut to depth and width for the strings) which is usually done to set the action as part of a professional setup, along with any bridge adjustment.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

How do you fix a nut? Put'em in the insane asylum!....... Sorry I had too.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

You beat me to it selso.  smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

You beat me to it selso.  smile

great minds think alike. or is it twisted minds? I forget.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

If it is a decent guitar, it is worth getting it done by a pro.
I've built several guitars totally from scratch and many from parts, but I still take them to someone else to get the nuts cut. Wow, that sounded bad.
Anyway, it is important to playability and intonation.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com