Topic: Any other Chordians getting the fishing bug?

It's been warming up nicely and the past few weeks my thoughts have kept straying to some time on the river.... I finally acted on it Saturday and pulled out my crow boat and hit the river for a few hrs just checking things out and marking some spots. Went back Monday and trolled for some crappie during the afternoon and set up for some blue and flathead fishing after dark. All in all some good days on the water smile No real crappie to speak of and the water's still high so the cats were slow but I did land 3 blues ranging from 15 to 34 lbs. I was fishing 1/2 pound bluegill on a #5 rigged on a slip float to about 12 ft... Anyone else getting the bug this time of year? -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Any other Chordians getting the fishing bug?

Hi Pix,

Sounds like good fishin' to me!  Still a little early over on this side of the hill... still raining and the snowpack hasn't even started melting yet.  All the streams and rivers are running fast, deep and muddy.  But they are expecting some decent runs of Salmon this year as there have been strict limitations on the Commercial Fisheries for the better part of five years over here on the Pacific Coast.
The stock levels have improved tremendously... better than expected anyway.  We have been doing battle with the sea lions and naturally we have the wildlife preservation folks screaming bloody murder over the controlled extermination of the worst offenders.
The bloody seals kill more fish than they eat and it is painful to see all those big Salmon rotting on the shorelines with just a bite mark or single bite out of them.  Got nothing against natural predation, but we have an invasive species wreaking havoc on an eco-system that has been stable for a real long time now.  It's sad, but we humans have had to modify our behavior to ensure that there will be fish for the future.... that means lower catch quotas for the fishermen and making it illegal to take any fish that hasn't been hatchery propagated.

Still have the Bass and Crappie though and of course Steelhead Trout!  So weather permitting and time, we'll be wetting a line or two this year.  Might even take a shot at Sturgeon up on the Columbia while I'm still young and fit enough to reel em in.

Keep the boat off the rocks, and keep smiling!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Oh, you bet.  We're still coming down out of flood zone from the heavy rains a little over a week ago.  I'd like to get out but it's just not safe yet.  I suppose I could go fish a lake instead of a river, but then I'd be fishing a lake.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The fishing bug has hit here big time. Did a little horse trading and got myself not one but two 14' boats.The one is fiberglass and is more of a sport type,the other is aluminum and will probably be the main one I use. I can't believe the luck I had in getting these. 2 boats a trailer and outboard motor for less than $150.00. Gotta love it. On another note, it's good to be back on line. Our computer went down right after X-mas and have just now been able to replace it. Really missed checking in on the forum and keeping in touch with fellow Chordians. Rock on.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

bswyers - Do you fish the Clarion River?  When I was a boy, it was too polluted and wouldn't sustain fish in a lot of sections (though it was still pretty).  Is it sustaining fish well now?  It looks like what ought to be a great smallmouth bass river.  Has the trout fishery up that way picked up? 

My folks were from Ridgway, so I spent a lot of my youthful summers and weekends tramping around up there.  I recall some big quarry between Ridgway and St. Marys that had some huge bass, plus lots of fun fishing below the spillway at Kinzua. 

You can't beat the deal you got on the boats.  Just can't.  If you added a zero to the end it would STILL be a great deal.  Shallow water for fiberglass boat, but Kinzua will be fine. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/fishinpicker/IMGP0571.jpg

Hi All, This is a pic from Jan this year when sturgeon season opened on the Columbia River. Doug Smith you can relate to this picture. We had a good day . Bud on my left and pickn bud on my right. This is the first try at posting a pic, hope it turns out, btw thanx to mek for the helpful hints !
Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Took my 6 year old fishing in mid Feb to our local regional park. $15 to get in and fish.(Well spent money, NOT) No body was catchin anything. I saw maybe 5 trout on stringers. Bluegill weren't even biting. We left there and went to a local park that has 2 little ponds. Saw some 12 -15 inch Bass I want to catch there, they weren't biting either. I was very surprised. I can't remember a time when I didn't catch anything. To keep my son entertained I ususally rig up a cane pole and help him catch little Bluegill and Warmouth. But there was nothing to be had on that trip. He did have fun casting his Spiderman pole that his grandpa bought him. Weather's warming up so we'll go again soon.

Papa, those sturgeon look nice. That's a good size to catch. Any bigger and it would be work instead of fun. By the looks of how all 3 of you are dressed I would say that the weather wouldn't agree with me. Don't like the cold.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Smokes PapaGuitar!  Those are some big scary looking fish!  smile  Glad you were able to follow the directions to get the pic up!  I've only seen some tiny Sturgeon specimens at the local hatchery... and heard stories of how you shouldn't wear shiny jewelry while swimming because the "giant sturgeon" will get you!  LOL!  I grew up lake fishing... nothing too exciting but VERY relaxing... and lots of fun times out late searching for night crawlers (and of course when that didn't work we'd just buy some... but we did have fun some times grabbing our own!).  I honestly haven't been fishing in a long time... other than taking the kids to a little stream here or there and helping with their casting and changing lures and worms.  Sounds like you all have a great time!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi all,
    Yep-got the bug bad Pix! Got a boat last year and since we can get to a launch and be in the water
    in about 15 min. it can be hard to resist. Z-- I don't think you would like the winters here even tho
    for the most part they are mild but the summers are very nice. We caught alot of fish that day.
    Thru back shakers(fish too small to keep legally) and keepers, waiting for the "biggin". BTW.....
    they can also be too big to keep. Lots of do's and don'ts in the fishing regs.

Yea Mek, those "giant" ones are very dangerous!! LOL Lucky these are bottom feeders. They do have
     sharp spine-like sides tho. Hope you get a chance to fish more with your family, it's good for you, and
     thanks again for the help.

I grew up in the Ohio Valley area and western Pa.,Warren, and others, Dad worked constuction so we
     moved alot. Rememer fishing for "cats" in the Ohio River. Couldn't eat them because of the polution.
     Zurf--- I remember fishing the spill-way of the Kinzua Dam. Dad caught a nice musky there. That was
     so long ago. Wonder how the fishing is there now? Really miss cat fishing. If I go up river from here
     around 40 miles there are cats to be caught. This years salmon run is suppose to be the best run since
     the 1940's. Awsome! Hope they can figuere out how to keep the sea lions from ruining the run!!

But for now it's walley time. I'm just now learning how to fish the river for them. Would appreciate any
     advice from other walley anglers.            Mike

papaguitar wrote:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae35 … GP0571.jpg

Hi All, This is a pic from Jan this year when sturgeon season opened on the Columbia River. Doug Smith you can relate to this picture. We had a good day . Bud on my left and pickn bud on my right. This is the first try at posting a pic, hope it turns out, btw thanx to mek for the helpful hints !
Mike

That's a heck of a fish! I don't think they get that big here. Still to cold to go fishing here. Can't wait though they raised the price of a license.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

With my new position in South Carolina, I found a little lake cottage to rent. It's an old cottage but quite charming with crooked hardwood floors and a great back porch. I spend most evenings on the porch strumming and watching the lake. Last weekend, I went out tackle shopping and am looking forward to throwing a line out and seeing what bites. I'm sure crappie will be abundant, maybe some large mouth. I'm strictly a live bait bobber type fisherman. Enjoying some cold beers on the dock on a beautiful afternoon is fine with me. If a fish bites, that's just an added bonus.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well dodo! Here I am with the fishing bug and a blown engine on my boat. Insurance won't pay for the fix and I don't want to fork out the $7,000.00 for a new powerhead. 'Pix, me n you need to talk some 'bout them catfish. Got into fishing for them a few years back and learned how to catch some good-uns. Our biggest blue, to date, is 93 pounds - biggest flathead was 66 pounds. And this was all with rod n reel. Our biggest catch was 4 blues one morning that weighed 229 pounds. Boy, do I got the fever!

nela

Well Zurf, the Clarion has cleaned up nicely and now has portions designated as a wild and scenic river. Actually a good portion of that area is from the Ridgway and Johnsonburg area. Here in Clarion County trout are abundant as are perch,walleye,bass,catfish and different pan fish. I'm within a 45 minute drive of several stocked lakes and about 15 minutes from a river launch. We also have a lot near the main lake at the Pymutuning Reservoir. Great walleye fishing. It's amazing that you and papaguitar are both familiar with my area. If you guys or anyone else are up this way give me a hollar and we'll see about catching us a fish fry and ending the day with some beers and guitars

14 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-03-28 03:16:44)

We got fish jumping all around our houseboat but I rarely find time to get out there and hurt any of them. Throwing a net in the creek is illegal.
When on the water I gotta keep moving. I once towed a spinner lure behind my sailboat for 100 miles and got not a nibble. I am unlucky at certain things and fishing must be another of them.
I would much rather pick guitar and pound beers at Fly Creek cafe next door and order one of their fabulous grouper samiches.
http://theflycreekcafe.com/
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

bswyers wrote:

It's amazing that you and papaguitar are both familiar with my area. If you guys or anyone else are up this way give me a hollar and we'll see about catching us a fish fry and ending the day with some beers and guitars

What are you doing in July?  We're planning a birthday party for my father up that way and are planning to camp ... somewhere.  Even if we can't work in the fishing, I'd at least like to shake some hands and play some guitar around a campfire.   Though I think my Dad would enjoy a fishing trip in my canoe. 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf, no set plans for July other than my wife's family reunion . That is usually the last weekend of the month. Usually a lot of friends show up as well as family. That event is almost always a great time jamming with people of all skill levels joining in. Weekends are generally open as I work through the week and a visit from a fellow Chordian would be a great excuse to blow off the honey do list. Drop me an e-mail at strummer_1957@yahoo.com and I'll give you my phone number and we'll try to set something up. Ridgway is a relatively short drive for me and their are many places to camp around here. We have a huge backyard and a fire and guitars would be great. Between my gear and my kids gear we could set up an entire band and my nearest full time neighbor is about a quarter mile away so we don't have to worry about the noise. Hope to hear from you soon

papaguitar wrote:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae35 … GP0571.jpg

Mike

Great photo Papaguitar. My god id love to reel in something that big.. I think the biggest i ever caught was maybe 5 lbs trout. I helped reel in a salmon one time. Near pulled the arms offa me.
I did some sea fishing last year  for mackeral which where delish to eat.. i enjoyed it but much prefer flyfishing.. My son ties his own flies so hopefully ill get time this year to try some new ones of his.
Theres nothing better in life on a  good evening, then to wade and watch the flow of the river, let your thoughts meander with the sounds of nature. The beauty of human and natural energy in motion.
Nothing bettter sir in my book
Tight Lines always to you and yours.
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

tubatooter1940 wrote:

We got fish jumping all around our houseboat but I rarely find time to get out there and hurt any of them. Throwing a net in the creek is illegal.

I would much rather pick guitar and pound beers at Fly Creek cafe next door and order one of their fabulous grouper samiches.
http://theflycreekcafe.com/
toots

Toots my mouths watering here reading that menu sir..
Will you order this for me please.

The Original Creek Platter*
The Freshest Mahi and 6 Wild Gulf Shrimp – grilled, fried or blackened on a bed of seasoned Orzo pasta with a House Salad. A totally mouthwatering combination. -

About 6 pm will do nicely.

Thanks toots, yr a wee pet.
Sure, have something yourself ! I'll pay.

lol

Old Doll -

If you ever get around to it, I'd love to see some photos of the flies your son ties. 

bswyers -

I'll see what my sister has worked out for Dad.  She's just started a new job over in Scranton, so may not have the leave accumulated to do what she had planned.  I may take the family up there for a long weekend anyway.  See where their family landed when they came from the "Old World." 

- Zurf

HI Old Doll,   Thanks for the nice comments. Landing a big ol fish is fun but so are the smaller ones. That

5 pounder was no slouch! These sturgeons get into the teens in length and will wear you arms out for

sure. That fly fishn must be a blast? I see people catching salmon and steelhead on flys. Might try it

sometime.  Fishn is soooooo relaxing and lets your mind relax also. Like you say-nothin better.

Take care and may your skillet not be lacking of fish,   Mike

21 (edited by Zurf 2010-03-28 17:35:13)

I caught more salmon than I can count on the fly rod last summer.  It is fun.  I think it took a full four months for the smile to fade even a little. 

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/Sm9B08qul2I/AAAAAAAADyw/jrTB5Ljqk-k/s400/DSC_0589.JPG

The trout weren't all that small either - but not five pounds.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/Sm9BkubxtPI/AAAAAAAADyY/5H8YmO9Z1_Y/s400/IMGP1563.JPG

Even some "small" pike on the fly.  I didn't run a tape on this one.  I was up above my waist in his environment and between holding my rod and holding the camera and having someone hold the fish, running a tape was more than I could coordinate. I'd guess 26" or so.  We caught some up to a yard long.   

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/Sm9CdFNZ9xI/AAAAAAAADzc/gou7jHx97oI/s400/IMGP1611.JPG

Yeah, sure Zurf,

Ill organize the fly photos for you soon. Your salmon looks so diffefernt to ours ! But the pike  and trout looks much the same.
Photo of last pike my son caught 2 weeks ago.
Apologies for not mastering the link properly.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ex … directlink

Ive been taking my lads fishing since wee babies. I used to pop them in a playpen on the banks of the rivers to keep them safe while i fished lol They both love fishing now [ i wonder why ! lol
Heres a link to fishing on the Emerald Isle.

http://www.cfb.ie/

Tight lines.
Old Doll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdtzJvliMk

23 (edited by Zurf 2010-03-29 11:51:16)

That salmon was way upriver in full spawning mode.  On it's way from the sea, that salmon went through a substantial physical change.  It started out chrome colored.  There was no humped back.  It's mouth was shaped like that of a trout.  Between sea and spawning river (I caught it just as it was entering the spawning river and returned it unharmed except for having a pierced lip and a bizarre story of abduction by aliens) its head turned green, it's body red, its mouth extended and hooked, and it grew a big hump on its back.  I am SO glad that humans do not go through such a transformation to spawn.  It died a week or two after that picture was taken - exhausted from the spawn and its life's duty done.  When it died, its body fed a bear.  Or the flesh began to peel off in the river and trout, dolly varden, and char gorged themselves full to build up a fat layer to allow it to survive the long cold winter's near hibernation.  Nature is awesome in its simplicity - and to some extent brutality. 

I'm off to check those pictures.

Edit to add: Handsome boy and handsome fish.  I like the smile!

- Zurf

Failte Zurf,

Thank you " Thats my not so wee baby now. All 6 feet of him. I love the bones of that fella.
Here's a link to some  fishing flies i took yesterday while visiting him.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lena.odonov … directlink

Old Doll.

Nice work on those flies.  My favorite is the one with the slender pink body and big puffy yellow marabou tail.  That would have such nice action in the water. 

- Zurf