Topic: Songs to keep in your repertoire at all times!?

When you get together with someone you've never jammed with, someone that you may or may not share love of the same musical style or genre, someone that may or may not be in the same generation, but getting together anyway just to jam.... what songs do you end up playing? This does not mean what is your favorite obscure song by some artist from your teenage years or childhood but what would you say are the songs that you feel every guitarist should be able to whip out a rendition of. I'm thinking...  50s stuff like Gloria, Peggy Sue, Wild thing, Louie louie, or maybe Tequilla sunrise or take it easy by the eagles. Any twelve bar blues song. Songs that even if the other person had never played before, you could say " oh, its just G, C, and D" and the other person would at least have heard the song a million times and be familiar enough with that they could follow along with.

Re: Songs to keep in your repertoire at all times!?

Around here, you better have "Sweet Home Alabama" ready to go.
If you are jammimg with strangers, you may find traction with "Knocking on Heaven's Door","Johnny B Goode", "La Bamba"or "Take it Easy" by the Eagles. "Put de Lime in de Coconut" only has two chords and if you know the lyrics anyone can strum along.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

All Along the Watchtower. Can play it in my sleep. Or any of the usual Irish ballads e.g. Whiskey on the Jar

Gotta be Johnnie B. Goode. Easy to play and just a ton of fun. And for the country fans it would probably be Folsom Prison Blues.    Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

"On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson is a good jam along song. The Ab if you're playing it in E is the only accidental.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Sittin by the dock of the bay
Sweet Dreams
You're everything to me
Sesame Street song

Working on "Do The potty dance"...lol...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Stand By Me
Wonderwall
Good Riddance (TOYL)
Country Boy Can Survive
Friend of the Devil
Simple Man
Bad Moon Rising
Wagonwheel
Amazing Grace

Most of the people I've played with could play at least one of those.... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

These are all great! Detman, you must have little ones like me. I play the ABC's while the kids are in the tub. My 4 year old calls Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue" "Holly soup"

I like to open up with Joey,by Concrete Blonde.If you can manage four of the major chord's it's a breeze.Jealous Man by Hoyt Axton always gets a positive response.Waylon's , Bob Wills is Still the King crosses the generation gap.Hobo Bill , a'la Jimmy Rodgers ( The yodelin' brakeman) is a classic that is easy to play and you can start in near any chord if you know how to progress.

Seven Bridges Road is a great tune even if the rest don't know it.Lying Eye's is a good one to have in the chamber.Same chord's as Joey,The Day the Music Died,Don't Close your Eye's.When I do J.R.Cashes,I Still miss Someone,every string in the room is on.

I could do this for day's,four sets of twenty song's is about where I'm at right now and I am constantly taking on new stuff.Frank Sinatra s' My Way(a'la Paul Anka) is something I am trying to get the guy's to cover with me,I like how the Gypsy Kings covered that one but my jammers have a hard time with it when I bring in the latin beat,good to know though.

Patti Smythes, The Warrior, sets the mood.Nick Gilders ,Roxy Roller is just plain fun.Even the older guys can dig it.

My thanks to all who contribute to this site, makes my callouses smile.

Turn the Page.Dingo