Topic: computer experts needed

Hi all, Now I know alot of you out there know more about computers and the internet than I do(actually all of you),

so can anyone explain why I,m nearly always loosing an internet connection on my laptop? The GF's desk-

top is wired ethernet via the cable tv, connected to a middle of the road wireless router, and I usually sit

within 20ft of it and still lose the connection when I know it has a much greater range. We've up-graded the

internet servive to a higher speed. Thanks,    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Re: computer experts needed

well ... could be a few reasons.  First question is what type of wireless router do you have?  Look for a little letter... a, b, g, n ???  Actually, if you can look at it and tell us specifically what the model and such is, that would help. 

Then the next question is what is your laptop capable of?  If it's a newer laptop, it's probably fine... but one never knows (yes, you can easily upgrade this without having to buy a new laptop).  Let us know what the specific model is unless you can find a wifi sticker on there with one of those letters!

If the router is n ... but your computer can't do the n... then you could be connecting at a cruddy rate.  If your wireless signal is cruddy due to any of those factors, something as simple as moving in the wrong direction could interfere with it... someone walking in between the two, or... another possible culprit is wireless telephone or cell phone, radio interference, the neighbor stealing your wifi because the router isn't configured correctly.  OH YES... there's a HOST of issues that could be causing the problem.  Many of these are fixable with a little computer knowledge.  I'm not an expert, but I can help you out a little.  I recently looked into all this stuff and set up a home network.  TonyEspo however IS a computer expert... maybe he'll chime in here!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Mek, For some reason I knew you would respond and thankyou. Anyway, the router is a belkin N, mod.#

F5D8233-4v3. My laptop is an HP 1550 Special edition 2004 model. Evelyn(gf) assures me that the

the wireless is configuered correctly. I run windows XP and have been utilizing Internet Explorer but

I think you mentioned somewhere that it was crap so I went with Mozilla Firefox. It's worse. Evelyns

desktop rarely loses connection unless it's at peak hours and lots of traffic. Our cell phones are

usually nearby but...? The only other device is a Roku box for Netflix movies and it also runs off the

router but I'm never on the laptop and watching Netflix at the same time.  Thanks for your help. Mike

Is this a newly purchased router or have you been using it for a while and its just now acting up?

Hi riddler, Have had this router for a couple years. This has been an on going problem but does SEEM to
               be worse. I haven't thrown it across the room........yet!  I know this is a tough question and I'm
               open to your thoughts. thanks,    Mike

papaguitar wrote:

Hi riddler, Have had this router for a couple years. This has been an on going problem but does SEEM to
               be worse. I haven't thrown it across the room........yet!  I know this is a tough question and I'm
               open to your thoughts. thanks,    Mike

Have you tried restarting yuor router. Lower end 802.11 routers don't sem to last long so I'd start there...maybe it's time to repalce that.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi Geoaguiar, Yes, we unplug it when going thru the trouble shooting section. I will definately get rid of

it. Can you recommend a good one or do I just dig deeper into the wallet and the problem

solved? Thanks much for your suggestion,      Mike

Check your "battery saver" settings on the laptop.  Sometimes it will be configured to shut down the radio if it's idle for some period of time.  Mine used to do that, and it drove me nuts!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Mike,

Don't know what you have done in the way of troubleshooting the problem, but I have a couple of Geeks in residence here that might be able to assist.  You might drop me an e-mail and we'll put our heads together and see if we can nail it down a little tighter.
It might help to "ping" your router and then do the same to your ISP, and find out if there is a chokepoint in the hardware or connection.  We've had some issues with Belkin drivers not being up to snuff, but updating seems to help in some cases.  Have had pretty good luck with Netgear hardware though.  Because you are running XP, you might have better luck allowing windows to handle your connection rather than the software that came with the router or your network card.

Keep in touch;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I would try connecting the laptop to a friend or familys or neighbors network and see how it does.....with permission of course..If it does ok on another home network then theres something fishy with tghe router..You can also search through the forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/belkin seems like others are having problems too..

papaguitar wrote:

Hi Geoaguiar, Yes, we unplug it when going thru the trouble shooting section. I will definately get rid of

it. Can you recommend a good one or do I just dig deeper into the wallet and the problem

solved? Thanks much for your suggestion,      Mike

This'll sound cynical but there are all kind of crappy.I've settled on using Linksys WRT54GS when we do residential jobs; they are about 60.00 US or so.....Some other good ideas in this thread about testing your laptop on someone else wireless network.

Good Luck

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

papaguitar wrote:

Hi Mek, For some reason I knew you would respond and thankyou. Anyway, the router is a belkin N, mod.#

F5D8233-4v3. My laptop is an HP 1550 Special edition 2004 model. Evelyn(gf) assures me that the

the wireless is configuered correctly. I run windows XP and have been utilizing Internet Explorer but

I think you mentioned somewhere that it was crap so I went with Mozilla Firefox. It's worse. Evelyns

desktop rarely loses connection unless it's at peak hours and lots of traffic. Our cell phones are

usually nearby but...? The only other device is a Roku box for Netflix movies and it also runs off the

router but I'm never on the laptop and watching Netflix at the same time.  Thanks for your help. Mike

Ok... I'm not sure what your laptop has on it... but since it's from 2004 that kind of sends up a red flag to me right away.  I would double check that you have the ability to connect with at least a G connection... I looked up HP 1550 SE and closest I could find on HP's site is this model number: EP347UA#ABA ???  I don't know for sure what you have.  If you do have that, then you do have the ability to connect B or G.  If not (and you only have b capabilities, then first thing I would do is to get a wireless N connection for the laptop (they can be purchased as a usb stick and if you're keeping that modem stay with the same brand adapter... brand names can be fussy). 

Another issue is because that router is N (and backwards capable to connect with b and g), but you're probably not connecting at N speeds with your laptop the router needs to be set appropriately.  You have options such as 802.11B+802.11G+802.11N, or just 802.11N or just 802.11G.  I'm not sure about your Roku box, but there's a good chance that it's connecting with N... so you need to make sure the router is set for the first option (allowing all three)... make sure the top speed is not set at 40mhz (because your G connection can't handle it... it has to be 20mhz ... if you set it to either 20/40mhz then it should automatically adjust itself down to 20mhz for your G connection).  It's probably already set like this or else you wouldn't likely be able to get on at all... but double check that just in case.  I would personally mess around with the settings a little bit and adjust it just to allow the G... see if your connection gets any better and if your Roku box still works well... I wonder if the router is (for some stupid reason) only seeing your laptop's B capabilities and connecting you at that horrid slow speed... if so... it would explain why there's issues with your connection.

Ok... so... make sure the router has the latest firmware upgrade done to it also.  Um... and only other thing I can think of (that no one else has said) ... is when you reset the router... I'm not sure if unplugging it is enough to reset it.  There's actually a reset button on mine that has to be pushed to go one step further.  It saves settings even if unplugged.

Ok... I'll be back in a bit here today and see what else I can dig up on this.  smile

Papa,

I had the same problem you are having with both of my laptops. I am on a cable system that provides cable tv and internet service. I fought the problem you are having for quite awhile and finally called and talked to the service people and they assured me it was not a problem on their end. They told me with as strong a signal as I had it couldn't be their problem.

I finally told them if they couldn't come and look at it I was gonna switch providers. They sent a young fella out and he found a booster on the back of my router that shouldn't have been there. He removed it and troubles are over.

When they had hooked up my service the guy had put it in. The young fella that found the problem said it made the signal too hot and was very apologetic that one of their guys had caused the problem.

Later, Wayne P

Ok... something else to look at that I found in another forum... Check with your internet provider if you should be using a dynamic connection or PPPoE.  I know with my cable connection it is supposed to be dynamic, so you're probably good there, but double check just in case.  If your router is set for a dynamic connection but your provider uses PPPoE (which requires a user name and password) the you may be able to connect for a little while but eventually your ISP will poll your connection to see if it's legit and then break it on you. 

Here's a link to Belkin's site on this information for you about these settings for router and ISP:  http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/ans … il/a_id/79

And here's the link to Belkin's site with all kinds of info about your router including the latest firmware upgrade available:  http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/pro … hZag%3D%3D

I really want to say that the problem sounds like it's with the configuration/settings ... or your laptop's built in wi-fi.  I don't think N was available until 2006.  Now... G should be enough, but I've heard of so many issues with Belkin and Linksys routers being really picky with the adapters on computers if they're not the same brand.  I personally bought a Tp-Link wireless N router because of that reason and I haven't had any problems, but then... everything connecting to it is fairly new also.

Hi all, Thanks so much for all the input! We worked on this last night and the first thing we did was to ping
           the speed like Doug mentioned and the result turned up slow. I think there is only one more up-
           grade with the isp so this to me sounds like what Mek is referring to that the router, cable, and lap-
           top are not jiving. It works for awile then kicks me off-hit repair and good again for ?? Also I'll check
           the router for a booster like Wayne mentioned. Checked the battery configueration and it seems to
           be where it should be, thanks Jerome. Will do all the suggested research you have given and will get
           back. Thanks again,    Mike

Good luck Mike!  smile  Everyone's suggestions and ideas in here on what can be causing it are good.  It's amazing how many little things could be a major issue.  Absolutely check on that needing a user/password thing.  Apparently I can set mine up dynamic OR PPPoE according to Belkin's site. 

I am assuming because this is a router and not a low end wireless modem that you purchased it and it wasn't just provided by the cable company.  Here's a thought... what do you have wired into it?  If all that's wired into it is the one computer and everything else is connected to it wirelessly... talk to the cable company, they might be able to provide you with a newer wireless modem which would completely replace your current cable modem and the wireless router (but what they provide generally only allows ONE computer hardwired into it).  Just a thought, cuz that of course would be without a charge (well... no more than what you may already be paying them for the modem they generally provide that you "rent" from them).  Then if you were still having issues you could concentrate on upgrading your laptop.

Hey all, Okay.... after talking to HP and a service dealer, this model laptop(notebook pc), like Amy says

has an incompatibility with the "N" router. Also if I were to plug in a usb adapter the internal

parts(guts) as I call it, won't recognize the adapter. Too, the "N" card has not been tested by

HP as yet so they can't give an approval. THanks for the help, getting a 'G" router as of today.

Anyone interested in a good deal on a "N" let me know.      Mike

Mike... did you try going into the router settings and try to set it up for just the G connection and see if your laptop will work with it that way? 

I hope HP gave you a suggestion of a router to get that will work with your laptop.  You might want to hold onto that router for the heck of it... just in case you upgrade your laptop sometime soon and suddenly have the ability to connect at the faster N speed!  smile

Good luck!

Hi Amy,  Actually I didn't try that. Went ahead and got the G and am using it at the moment(after going thru a

bout changing settings)lol, and seems to be better but time will tell. Yea I better keep the N just in case.

The roku box seems to work just fine also, but...time will tell. I will still look into whether the N is

changable to G. I sure appreciate your help and concerns, Mike

No problem Mike!  I'm glad that you at least have SOMETHING up and running for you well!  It can be so frustrating to have a fast connection but not be able to utilize it!  The nice thing is that these routers aren't "too" expensive, so at least you're not out hundreds and hundreds of dollars... although no one likes to throw money out the window!  I know that frustrated feeling of "just toss it and start over" too... rather than keep messing with it and getting super frustrated!  smile  The G will probably be plenty fast for you... it's when you get into doing a LOT online at once that you MIGHT notice it being a little slow, but for the most part it should be fine for you.  ENJOY your new found internet freedom without interruptions!