26 (edited by Doug_Smith 2010-04-03 20:32:18)

Re: Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits

Hi Roger,

Just a little assist here on the Buttermilk thing.... you can substitute milk with a couple of teaspoons of un-flavored yogurt mixed in to get that slightly acidic effect.  The acid will react with the soda and act as a leavening agent, another reason for not working the dough too much as you will knock all the loft out of the mix.  I use a wire whip as a pastry cutter and it works quickly and well in my kitchen.

Think Scones and you will be on the right track.... just not as sweet.

Take Care;
Doug

PS:  My specialty is Baklava with Pistachios, Turkish style as I learned as a child.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Amy,
Ill hopefully get to type this without interruptions girll  Its busy here this  weekend.
Ok i use Avoca brown bread recipe. Avoca is a shop/ deli. restaurant 5 mins from me here. There food is very high quality. Delish always. A wee bit more expensive but lovely as a treat. This is there   brown bread recipe.
{ Amy in my kitchen press / larder i keep dried gogi berries, linusit seeds, mixed fruit and                                           
   nuts, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds.
i add a handful of some of these ingredients when baking bread instead of Bran and wheatgerm.. I also double up the ingredients to make more  bread which i then  slice when cool and freeze if i have no callers  ]

Ingredients 
6 oz. white flour                         
11 oz. whole wheat flour             
3 Tbsp bran
2 Tbsp wheat germ
2 heaping tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp molasses
1 - 1 1/2 pints whole milk

Directions 
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Generously oil an 8" x 5" loaf pan. Dust it with dried breadcrumbs.
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the molasses and stir in enough milk to give the batter a "moist but not sloppy" texture.
Turn the batter into the prepared pan and shake to level.
Bake somewhere between 6 to 20 minutes, keeping an eye on the bread to see when it has risen.
When it has risen reduce the heat to 325 and continue to bake for another hour.
run a knife around the inner sides of the pan to loosen the bread and ease it out.
If, when tapped on the bottom the bread sounds hollow, it is done. Otherwise place it back in the oven just on the rack without its pan, and bake a bit more, until it passes the "hollow test", about 10 to 15 minutes.
Slice to serve and accompany with softened butter...

Here's the simplest recipe for delicious toffee.. Place One can of unopened  sweetened condensed  milk into a saucepan of boiling water. Leave for about 3 hours. Allow to cool.  Its Lovely served with pancakes. Or place cool toffee on a biscuit base-  Melt some good quality eating chocolate. Pour over toffee- chill and cut in squares. Guaranteed a winner.. Its also a very easy way to make banoffi. by just adding bananas.

Roger ! ill leave a key for you as ill be with Amy scoffing those delicious Molton chocolate cakes lol. I dare not ask for that recipe as my cholesterol would skyrocket.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Irish scone recipe is very basic i feel.

This is a youtube one. It says use margarine ?  Me Mam  and i always  Use butter for nicer tasting scones.. !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77gvAn-fBIk

I must say i  now prefer your  buttermilk recipe.   When using this recipe i dont always add fruit.
Sometimes i add ,  finely  chopped garlic and sundried tomatoe , or grated cheddar cheese and carmelized red onion. Olives also can be used finely chopped .. depending on what you wish to serve them with..

Im still trying to find out how to remove the calories  though ?. Im feeling your an Earth sign Girl Amy !

Old Doll.

Doug... I KNEW there had to be a simple solution to the buttermilk issue!  Yogurt makes total sense!  I never had Turkish style Baklava ... I did create a baklava once with chocolate, coconut, and cashews and it was fantastic!

Ok, so scones are very much like buttermilk biscuits then, just a bit sweeter ... every time I've tried to make them they've come out very dry with the recipes in my cook book.  Now that I know how their texture is supposed to be I think I can figure these out!  smile

That brown bread sounds fantastic!  I can already guess how it's going to taste... yes, I will have to make that for certain! 

Lena... yes, I am an earth sign, Capricorn smile  Old before my time, but getting younger each day I age!  LOL!  I keep the calories off by chasing around a 5 and 2 1/2 year old all day long and taking care of everyone in the house (5 people, 2 dogs) on top of running my little salon in the house.  My mom did a little bit of baking, sewing, and chocolate candy making at home (and taught me what she knew) when I was a kid... and when I was a teenager I learned about yeast breads in school and fell in love!  smile  I am more of a "Suzie Homemaker" than anyone I know.  LOL!  I don't sew our clothing however, just the Halloween costumes!  ha ha!

OH BTW... I am addicted to Chocolate.  What gets you with those little cakes is the butter... but I suppose it's not any worse than the biscuits!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

this is a cool thread,  Lena I grabed my guitar and played along to that scone.   lol

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Hahhahahahaah Segosha,

I made another double batch this morning for visiting friends from the Wee North. I tell you they waded into them lol.
Mekidsmom will be pleased to know they took the recipe home with them plus what was left of the biscuits. They eat wheaten bread a lot up North, so now its "buttermilk wheaten Biscuits" lol Good recipes will travel.

Love to you and gem.

Old Doll.

32 (edited by StranSongs 2010-04-07 06:06:25)

Interesting thread.

We have "soda bread" in Ireland that is very similar to the recipe mekidsmom gave ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_bread ). The main difference is that we don't add butter. it's usually shaped into farls ( it starts off circular and is cut into quarters.) and is cooked on a flat griddle. There are pictures of a farl on the link. Because it is cooked on the griddle, it is flipped over to cook, which keeps the farl from rising very high.

The buttermilk is a souring agent that reacts with the baking soda to make the bread rise. I'd wondered if the Scotch-Irish links with the carolinas, tennesee and kentucky might have been a reason for the similarity, but the link suggests that soda only came in in the 1840's.

My father would talk about having buttermilk for breakfast every morning when he lived in fermanagh during the war. Interestingly, the "fiery" preacher, Rev Ian Paisley used to call alcohol " the devil's buttermilk" !

I don't see it so much in the ROI, lena - soda bread that is - there's plenty of the devil's buttermilk ?

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

I have to assume that all of it came originally from soda bread... transformed into scones, and further more transformed into "Southern Buttermilk Biscuits" ... and then NELA had another similar recipe they do down in Louisiana ... we all have Ireland to thank I'm sure for starting the whole thing... so I'm glad to have given it back to Ireland all "new and improved"!  LOL!

Today is expected to be a cool day, and it works out well because it's also the day I decided to do a bunch of baking!  I cleaned my oven yesterday and replaced the bulb.  I am very proud of how clean it is... cuz it was pretty gunky!  LOL!  Homemade pizza tonight (and I actually bought some bread flour to try out instead of the standard all purpose, it should be excellent and I'm excited) ... making some breadsticks to go with salads for the next few days... and I'm going to try my hand at that Irish brown bread!  Oh... and cookies in some form or another.  The last couple days I've been making smoothies for dessert for the kids.  They LOVE smoothies and I love the idea of them!  The kids feel like they're getting a "milkshake"... yet it's so healthy and good for them compared to a milkshake.  I "let" the girls have smoothies with their lunch yesterday and they thought I was just the best mom in the world!  ha ha!  smile

Ah Jeez Mekidsmom,

I always had a small rear but, them buttermilk scones are addictive girl. Ill soon be called ,
"Old Doll lardy Ass ! if i keep this up. You know i have a low tolerance for white flour. maybe because brown was really my staple for so long. The buttermilk scones are such a treat.

Heres a wee something i like to cook and eat.
Brown Pitta Pizza.

Chop and stir fry any vegetable you or your family like. Using whatever herbs you like also.{ Use Virgin olive oil.}
I use cumin, oregano, and  fresh basil. Add chopped ham and pineapple OR Chorizo or whatever you like.

Split pitta breads. Spread  the inner with tomato base sauce.{ I like Loydd Grosman  sauces]
Place pitta breads on aluminum foil.. Fill with prepared veg] cover with shredded mozzarella OR grated cheddar cheese and some split kalamata olives.
Place in heated oven for 15 minutes.
I dont like the dough on pizza, unless its very thin dough, so this is a good option. I love this with home made hummus.

Large can chick peas. leave some juice.  Add Juice of 1 fresh lemon. 1 tablespoon of  natural dark tahini. 1 small clove of garlic. hint of coriander.
Whizz all in a blender.  Its  lovely as  a dip, also with chips or veggie strips. Full of protein..

Baking more scones tomorrow lol Ive another  irish recipe for you to try, no time now to do it. Im away to my shower and leaba [ Bed}
Nite nite.

Old Doll.
Ps. while your doing all this cooking. Play the best music you like. makes life and  everything a doddle.

Thank you Lena!  We do something similar with English Muffins sometimes - I never tried it with pita bread.  That's a good idea!

I wonder how those Buttermilk Biscuits would be made with a little wheat flour?  I've made my pizza dough before and used half white flour and half wheat flour and no one seemed to know the difference!  I was telling my mom about our conversations on here and she just CANNOT believe that I'm sharing recipes with someone from Ireland.  She thought I just found the Brown Bread recipe online, it took a bit of convincing until she believed that it was directly from my dear guitar playing friend IN Ireland!  Ha Ha... I'll bet we're all the talk at her next church lunch.

... just as I had all my doughs ready the other day, come to find my oven wouldn't fire up!  AHHH!  Apparently it takes forever to get a repair man to my house.  They're finally coming today.  I had to send my breadsticks to my friend for her to bake and enjoy... I cooked the pizza on the stove top (that was actually reallllly good!), and my mother took the brown bread home with her and brought SOME of it back!  Sadly, the brown bread dough sat in the fridge for a couple days before Mom got here to take and bake.  It's DELISH... but I can't wait to make and bake it fresh to see how much better it is!  I put sunflower seeds and almond slivers in it... I LOVE it!  Going to toast some up and have a touch as breakfast this morning!

Medkidsmom! ya cant get any more irish then this bread.
Did you ever bring potato cake
in a basket to the school,
Tucked underneath your oxter
with your book, your slate and rule,
And when teacher wasn't looking
sure a great big bite you'd take,
Of the flowery flavoured buttered
soft and sweet potato cake."
Boxty Bread.
1lb (450g) Raw Potatoes (peeled and grated) Then wring tightly  in a linen tea cloth to remove excess water and starch ] dont worry about the raw potatoe changing colour. Nae bother!
Add  1lb (450g) Cooked Mashed Potatoes
1lb (450g) Self Raising Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 oz. (60g) melted Butter
2 eggs.

Mekidsmom. "No woman is an Island " lol use any  electrical gadget  you can get your hands on to make it quick and easy... leaves more  time for guitar practice !

Heat pan, bacon fat is the best to cook them in for great flavour.. Every woman worth her salt here, had a  large Varsity Jar. All the fats would be drained from the cooked  meats and strained into these jars for there boxty making  to get full flavour.. The jelly left  at the bottom would be added to gravies and soups... Now a days i wouldnt do this. The meats  now are  full of a nice word beignning wit C ends in P !!

You can then make big rounds the size of your pan. or small ones  like pancakes. My Mam and the older woman here made a quick cross at a point in cooking, it would then cut like triangles. Usually 2 portions  per person.
This  vid is the nearest on the tube to what we do. Theres another guy on there, "Irish  lad god bless him" Cannot understand a word he is saying lol "Ah thats Leitrim for ya.!!! Only kiddin in case my relations read this post.
The above recipe  hails from County Cavan ions ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6vhJd-yg24

Ps . next week wheaten scones lads lol.

As it turns out, the cost of FIXING our oven was going to be higher than what we paid for it.  UGH... so the hubby went out last night and brought me home a new one for about the same price!  This new one is WAY nicer than the old one too... I'm going to have to get a bunch of recipes together now and test it out of course!

Thank's Lena!  These sound like they'll taste a bit like Potato Pancakes!  Delish!  I'll be watching the video later this morning to be sure!  Hmmm... so what types of recipes shall I share with you my dear?  Boys... you'll need to help me out here a little... what is "so American" that Lena doesn't have a recipe?  Please, don't say Apple Pie!  wink

Ah Boxty . . . . last tasted at a Ceili in Fermanagh 25 years ago!

We also have "Fadge" or taty bread in the North http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Irish- … akes-21371 Would it be anything akin to potato pancakes ?

I'd appreciate a recipe for Hush Puppies if you have one?

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Hush Puppies ?

Hahaha.- Shoes ? or the jalapeno ?

Mekidsmom, I adore cheese cake. Now, not the ones you add jello too. I love the Original cheese cake's
Key lime is one ive found and made in the last few years. I use cottage cheese and philly cheese !
Id be interested in some older cheese cake recipes you  or anyone may  have ..

This is no bake Baily's Cheese cake.

Base---
1 1/2 packet sweet biscuit crumbs [ Use ginger nut [ nicer flavour }
75 ml melted butter.  Crumble amd mix with melted butter. Press into spring loaded tin.
Filling:
800 g cream cheese
800 ml single cream
1/2 C castor sugar

A good half glass of  Baileys Irish cream.
Mix the 1st 3 ingredients untill  thickened.  { Dont over do it . It thickenes while chilling.

Then fold in bailys. You can add chocolate and or juice of an Orange.
Delish.

Old Doll.

41 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-15 17:21:12)

Well... Boxty comes up in the explanation of Potato Pancake:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_pancake

I just take some left over mashed potatoes... add some seasonings (a little minced onion, garlic, salt, paprika) and eggs... mix it up to a thick slurry and fry in butter in a pan.  I like them crispy and a little salty, the kids put ketchup on them.  I have had "Potato Pancakes" at restaurants that tasted more like a traditional pancake with potato in it and it's served with apple sauce ... I THINK they do that in the south?  That sounds a little more like your Boxty Bread.

Hushpuppies are another southern goodie but they can be had in any GOOD "Fish and Chips" restaurant... basically it's deep fried cornbread.  I have never made them sad although I do have recipes in my cook books.  I can look and see what I have StranSongs!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hushpuppy

I will see what I have for Cheese Cake Old Doll.  I will probably have to make one so I can adjust the recipe a little however before I share (yes, that's how I cook... to me a recipe is just a guideline and hardly ever a rule LOL).  I am a little picky about my cheese cake... I like it on the DRY side and that's hard to get but I did make it from one of my cookbooks (and a few tweaks) and it came out perfect.  I'll start my shopping list now (everyone will be THRILLED to know I'm making it and when they hear why they'll probably come up with more ideas of things for me to make and turn into a shareable recipe!).  My mom has a recipe for cheesecake that is VERY wet... it cooks up with two distinct layers and has sour cream in it.  I'll have to see if she'll bring it with her next time she comes!  smile

I suppose my Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup would be a pretty American dish.  In fact... it's something that you can't just get anywhere and I looked up recipes and kind of created my own version.  I lived in the Buffalo, NY area as a kid (where "Buffalo Wings" hail from).  Mind you... my recipe is pretty much "guess work" because I do this type of cooking by eye not measurements, however last time I made it I tried very hard to pay attention to what my eye was seeing and "guess" at what the measurements would actually be!  smile  Using these measurements, you'll have a "medium" wing taste.

2 cups (about) cooked chicken
(or fry up about 5 Chicken Drumsticks in oil - see below)
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (crushed red pepper)
5 Tbl Hot Sauce (or more, to taste)
1 sm onion (diced/chopped)
3 lg cloves garlic (diced/chopped)
3 ribs celery (diced/chopped)
2 Additional ribs celery left uncooked for topping (diced/chopped)
1/8 tsp salt & pepper
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 - 1 cup milk
2 cups chicken stock
(I like 2 cups of water and 2 teaspoons "Better than Bullion" brand)
1/4 Cup Butter
2-3 Tbs flour
Crumbled Blue Cheese

In a stock pot, melt the 1/4 cup butter.  Brown the garlic and diced onion.  Once this starts to brown, add in the 3 ribs of chopped celery.  Cook until the celery is translucent.  Add in the spices (cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, basil and parsley).  Add flour and create your rue.  Cook until the flour starts to brown.  Add the milk and stir until it begins to thicken.  Next add the chicken stock. Keep stirring until everything comes together and turn down the heat to a simmer.  At this point you can add in your hot sauce.  Simmer for a while and you prepare your chicken.  If you feel this needs more kick, wait to add it until after it has simmered for a while (about 20 minutes) as the flavors will intensify a little as it cooks.  Taste as you go... the hot sauce adds the "tang" of a wing with a little kick, the cayenne pepper adds that spice to the back of your throat. 

If you are using prepared cooked chicken, cube it up!  You can use left overs here, or for a short cut purchase a pre-roasted and seasoned chicken from the grocery store for about $5.00.  Some suggest just poaching chicken IN the pot at this point and cook it in the soup while it simmers.  They then take the chicken out, shred it and put it back in.  That's ok if you want to, but I don't like shredded chicken in this dish, it just doesn't feel authentic.  I like to use about 5 drumsticks because they are always a cheap buy at the grocery store (you can't go wrong for $1.20 per pound).  Sooo... butterfly the drumsticks.  In a cast iron pan (or large frying pan) add about 1/2 inch of your favorite frying oil.  Place the drumsticks in the pan fat side down.  Cook until no pink remains turning occasionally to prevent burning and encourage even browning.  When finished, the outside should be crispy and browned and resemble a freshly deep fried chicken wing.  FLAVOR!  Pull chicken off the bones and cube.  If you find that the chicken isn't completely cooked, simply return it to the pan and finish frying it.

Taste your soup... delicious huh?  At this point you can add more kick with your hot sauce and cayenne pepper if you desire (or you can let your guests add their own at the table).  Add the chicken just before serving and give it a good stir in (this keeps those crispy edges from getting too soggy).  Serve in bowls and top each with a generous amount of raw chopped celery and crumbled blue cheese.  My homemade "Red Lobster style" Cheddar Bay biscuits go great with this.  My husband prefers to place his soup directly on top of his broken biscuit.  Happy eating... have a glass of milk too!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs177.snc3/20460_1343733072017_1191936679_31043441_291003_n.jpg

Hi Mekidsmom,

Copied and pasted your wing soup.. I will try it out soon. My intended daughter in law is stuck in Boston with this volcanic ash fallout. Its her birthday tomorrow. I was going to have a dinner for her.
Your wing soup would be different for whatever night now i can arrange when she gets home. " Blue Cheese" I love also.

Your Mams cheesecake sounds good with sour cream. I prefer them more moist then some i can buy or make.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Ps. Hows the new oven working ?

Old Doll.

The new oven is fantastic!  The old was just a basic run of the mill range with no bells or whistles.  The new one is SOOO much nicer!  You and the new oven have inspired me my friend!  I'll be making the Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Tuesday... so I'll check my recipe for correctness and actually try to measure a little more to be certain.  I'm making a dry cheese cake today.  I'll have my Mother bring her recipe with her Tuesday when I see her and get that copied for you!  smile 

I did a little searching, and it's so funny to find that everything I can think of here that is considered "American" is really just a recipe that someone brought from somewhere else and introduced to America and then the dish got it's name as hailing from a certain area, or the person who brought it over.  American food is as much a "melting pot" as America is!  I LOVE Sponge Candy, and it's very popular in Buffalo NY.  I did some searching on it... and elsewhere around the world it's called Honeycomb Toffee or Hokey Pokey!  We make it, cool, then cut into squares and cover with chocolate and sell by the pound along with other chocolate goodies like chocolate covered cherries and such in candy shops!  smile 

My mom is experimenting with a healthy brownie recipe she got from some television show... it contains black beans.  She's certain if you put enough chocolate in with anything it will have to taste good.  I'm not so sure ???  She purchased Agave Syrup to put in it rather than sugar.  It tastes a bit like honey with mild molasses undertones.  I imagine it's probably 3 times more expensive than honey or molasses!

Just a quick note to MEK and the Old Doll!  While I haven't weighed in on any of your recipe conversations to date, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your sharing of ideas, tastes etc.  I am retired and love to create in the kitchen and your discussions prompt me to try other things.  Unfortunately, I am trying to lose some weight so some things are probably not a good idea to fix and have around the house.  For those things, I will just have to rely on what you two are cooking up and enjoy them through my imagination.  Keep up the good work; I find your topics enjoyable!  Have a good day

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Bass Viking!  How nice of you to stop into our little "kitchen" LOL!  You probably could make the wing soup with cooked chicken breast and use some type of healthier oil (sunflower oil???) in lieu of the butter for the rue.  Up the cayenne and you've got yourself a metabolism kick (yes, spicy foods supposedly give you a weight loss boost!) 

I would absolutely stay away from the buttermilk biscuits if you're working on losing weight... I think just LOOKING at the recipe will gain you a few pounds!  LOL!

Bass Viking !

I was a 8lbs lighter before mekidsmom scones lol. I now have to eat one as a treat Boohoo. Im a hungry horse, so was making and eating to many of them.
This week im gonna try some wheaten scones with low fat stuff to see how they turn out..I will post here to  update.
If your weightwatching, heres a low fat soup i love.
Chicken Noodle.

Some chicken breast sliced { no skin }
Carrots/ onions / mange tou / Peppers red and yellow finely chopped celery. { be generous with the veg as its  ok to eat loads .
I used to add corn but i believe its high in sugar ?  [ Me mouths watering now, cos i just got a image of buttery corn on the cob !
Oh mercy! ]

I use vegetable bullion. cubes [ less fat ] usually 2/3 depending  on amount and  if my lads are here.

Put all ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to boil. simmer for about 40 mins, then add some egg thread noodles. leave to simmer for another 15 mins.

Black pepper / and a dash of soy sauce. [ Theres usually enough salt in the cubes ]

Bass Viking  you'll be as happy as the salmon that feed on the grand banks before returning home to spawn lol

When no ones looking have one of mekidsmoms buttermilk scones. There beautiful.
Old Doll.

Hi MKM,  OK not apple pie....  although "pie" is not widely familiar to most of Europe.  It likely originated somewhere in the UK!
But for something typically American and Southern, how about Pecan Pie?  All the ingredients should be readily available most everywhere (with the possible exception of the Pecans) and Walnuts could be a suitable substitute for the Pecans in regions where the former are not available or economical, Almonds would do nicely as well.

The recipe I use is as follows:

1 9" uncooked pie crust (your favorite recipe or pre-made)

preheat oven to 350 F

1 Cup dark Corn Syrup, or 1cup light with 1 Tbsp of Molasses added.

3 eggs

1 Cup Sugar

2 Tbsp melted butter

1 Tsp Vanilla

1 1/2 Cups Nut meats halved or chopped (your preference)

Mix first 5 ingredients well in a bowl of sufficient capacity, add nuts and mix well.  Empty contents into the shell and bake 60-70 minutes until cooked through.  Interior temp should be 200F.  Basically this is a custard so judge your cooking time accordingly.  I usually start with the oven at 400 and turn down to 325 upon putting the pie(s) inside.  The higher initial temperature helps prevent the crust from getting soggy on the bottom.

Caution!  This is a diet buster for sure... but you should make two, because one is never enough!

Enjoy & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Aah Holy mother of God !!

Have yis no sympathy for me and me  weight  watching !  I love pecan pie. I only ever had it in America.

I will make this for a wee birthday party for my sons girl. { well i need an excuse }

Yikes !! One slice single crust has 575 Calories .. Hmmm, maybe if i jogged on the spot as i ate it, id halve the calories ? No !

I'll have the dogs paws wore out for sure after this feast.

Thank you sir.

Old Doll.

Ahhhh.  There are two things that I must do before long.

1. Head to Leesburg Restaurant in my town in Virginia.  It's been there since the mid-1800's and they make some pretty fantastic bisquits with sawmill gravy.  Plus the owner is a dear friend, so I get to have a nice chat too.  Perhaps some day I will take on the challenge of bisquits baked over a fire in a cast iron dutch oven.  Perhaps I will expand the capacity of my camp kitchen to something more predictable. 

2. Cry, because I can never again this side of heaven enjoy my Gram's soda bread.  She was a good and fine Irish woman from the Barr clan.  I didn't much care for the things she did to perfectly good beef (what did the cow ever do to her), but oh that soda bread.  I will be trying Old Doll's recipe, as Gram's is lost to the years. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

All this talk of food has made me hungry.
Ive just had a slice of brown bread [ home made of course ! some vintage cheddar, with peach and cardamon chutney. and a big ole mug of Cha. "Yumdiddleyumptious  lol
one extra mile walking tomorrow for that big  Mortaler  [ Sin ] at this hour of the night ]

Old Doll.