Topic: Led Zep track the favourite rock song?

Hi all
Just saw another "Poll" which voted Led Zep's "Stairway to heaven" top rock track of all time. The Who's "Won't get fooled again was runner up.....
I must agree as being a Led Zep fan myself big_smile even if it's sort of looked down by some....
Who would you place at number one if you were voting...
Here's the link to the "News" smile item.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100418/te … 8abb3.html
ark

Re: Led Zep track the favourite rock song?

hi ark there's plenty of artists and songs to fit this catagory i have always liked three steps to heaven by showwaddywaddy its their vocal sound that clinches it for me,but elvis will always be the king of rock.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Stairway, maybe, it is definitely an all time classic, but, as for the Who, after the My Generation album, IMO they became far too pretentious with their so-called ''rock opera'' stuff. My personal all time fav is House of the Rising Sun, by the Animals, not as complex as Stairway, but, my fav none the less.
DC, you are 100% correct, there will always, for ever and a day, only be ONE king of rock, Elvis the Pelvis. All the others will always be pretenders to the throne.  OK, Buddy Holly can be the first prince, and Doro Pesch, the first princess.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

led zep are class stairway to heaven is a great song but i dont no about the best i think sweet child of mine could be best but its a different style of rock

"I Saw Her Standing There" by the Fab Four

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Stairway to Heaven only keeps getting voted up there because that's the only song most people these days remember them for... It's NOT their best song... they have far far better tracks to select from... Kashmir, Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, When the Levee Breaks... just to give a few. It's just that people have such a hard time picking just one song from their catalogue that they play safe and pick StH just to ensure LZ gets top spot...

[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/Paul.jpg]a better photo of me[/url]
[url=http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/paulcooke100/IMGP0556.jpg]My basses[/url]
haven't photographed my guitars yet... smile

My favorite Zep song is probably "Livin' Lovin' Maid."  It's hard to judge "Stairway" anymore because it has become such a "caricature" of a rock song, like "Free Bird."

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Good call PapaTom

Stairway is one of those songs that defines what a good band is.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

>>>Stairway is one of those songs that defines what a good band is.<<<<

But like The Beatles' "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End," it isn't necessarily the best song the band ever recorded.

Stairway isn't even the best song on that album.  Heck, it's not even the second or third best song on that album.  "Going to California,"  "Battle of Evermore," and "Misty Mountain Hop" are all better tracks.   And those three aren't even their best songs.   "Dazed and Confused,"  "Achilles Last Stand," "Braun Y-Aur Stomp," and "Over the Hills and Faraway" are all better.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I much prefer anything from Physical Graffiti myself. IMO, that is their finest album. Custard Pie , In the Light, Kashmir all better tunes. IMHO YMMV. I like Jerome's picks above better too.

In my neck of the woods...classic rock radio programming killed that song by playing it for 20 years 2 times a day. One of many reasons I stopped listening years ago

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

>>>In my neck of the woods...classic rock radio programming killed that song by playing it for 20 years 2 times a day.<<<

Exactly.  "Stairway" is one of those songs I never let play past the few first bars of intro.  That's all I need to remind me that the song existed and had its place and time.  By the time it gets to "There's a laaa-dy who's sure.." I'm already on to the next track or another radio station.

I like Black Dog it has some interesting timing with a nice fat beat smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

14 (edited by Zurf 2010-04-19 21:15:06)

What rock song would I place at number one if I were the one voting?  Probably "Hey, Hey, My, My" by Neil Young.  Perhaps only because of its horribly inaccurate prophecy - "Rock and Roll will never die...", and pretty much the next day disco takes off and ruins popular music for thirty years. 

Still, it's what rock is all about.  Which is nothing.  Rock is about absolutely nothing.  And it's sung by people who probably shouldn't be singing.  So, Hey Hey My My is rock.  There was a really good, but much too clean to be the best ever, but still really good rock song by - oh heck - Train maybe?  "Hanging Around".  And Barenaked Ladies did a song about having a hangover.  So it breaks the rules by being about something, but it's about a hangover so I think that's excusable because they were hungover at the time.  Plus, if rock is about something, it's about breaking rules.  Anyway, that song is "Hello City."  But it's too well performed and much too tight to be real rock. So it's kind of ska.  Or something. 

What was the question? 

Oh yeah!  I wouldn't put "Stairway to Heaven" as the best rock song. 

You know, "Hello Darlin'" by the Beatles might be a pretty good best rock song.  It's got a killer bass line that frankly if you studied it could make a right decent bass player out of you.  It's about nothing.  And the band got really, really rich.  Which probably doesn't mean anything music wise, but it does seem to be a requirement for these lists. 

My two cents.  And yeah, if you're a Zep fan, I'll take change. 

I'm sorry.  I've been completely wrong on each of the items above.  Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" is the best rock song ever.  Yes.  There we go.  I'm willing to stand behind that.  Until I change my mind again. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Stairway is a great track but it has been overexposed.

i was playing it to my kids in the car the other day. never heard it before. and yet to be persuaded.

Play them Magic Carpet Ride.  Really, really loud.  I'll bet they like it better.  If not, then try Oh Darlin'.  Not Hello Darlin'.  My bad. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Play them Magic Carpet Ride.  Really, really loud.  I'll bet they like it better.  If not, then try Oh Darlin'.  Not Hello Darlin'.  My bad. 

- Zurf

Oh Darling is the best rock vocal IMHO...and easier to play than to sing !

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Ah " Going to California" what a beautiful song and  I really relate to it.." Spent my days with a woman unkind..." wow.."some one told me there's a girl out there , with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair..." mmm..turned out to be very true..lol...

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Stairway aint even their best song! Why it gets some much attention is beyond me. Stairway denied.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

Stairway aint even their best song! Why it gets some much attention is beyond me. Stairway denied.

Wayne's World.

Zurf wrote:
selso wrote:

Wayne's World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WStE470Nu4s

No Stairway. Denied.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Zurf wrote:
selso wrote:

Wayne's World.

one of my all time favorite movies

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Since I've been lovin' You and Gallows Pole from Led 3 are my favourite Led tracks and I love Hot Dog from In Through the Out Door, Stairway is a great track but it's become overexposed.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

manicbassman wrote:

Stairway to Heaven only keeps getting voted up there because that's the only song most people these days remember them for... It's NOT their best song... they have far far better tracks to select from... Kashmir, Communication Breakdown, Whole Lotta Love, When the Levee Breaks... just to give a few. It's just that people have such a hard time picking just one song from their catalogue that they play safe and pick StH just to ensure LZ gets top spot...

This and that, right up there.

As a certified Zep nut, let me pontificate for a moment. smile  Stairway isn't even the best song on that album, let alone of all time.   Misty Mountain Hop and Going to California can battle it out for the best on the album title.   

Best Zep track of all time, though?....  Hmmmm   I'll go with Bron Yr Aur Stomp, Dazed and Confused, or Immigrant Song.

Man, I see this is an old track, and I'm repeating myself.  big_smile