Re: Any other Chordians getting the fishing bug?

Would like to dedicate a song to all chordie fishermen and fisherwomen.
My buddy John Reno and yours truly late one night in Seattle, doing a tune that mentions more fish than you can shake a stick at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxajh5ZzKPA

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Wow! Dennis, that was amazingly funny.  What a great play on the words!   Is this your original?  Can I get the words to this?  Outstanding, really enjoyed it.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Bass Viking, My wife taped the "John Boy and Billy Big Show" on her radio one morning and caught Pinkard and Bowden singing that song. It was written by Richard Bowden who has a "Richard Bowden.com" website.
I stuck my ear in the stereo and skulled out the lyrics. Chords are G,C and D. I recorded it as a single on my first C.D. and as a duet with John Reno on his "Magic Chair" C.D.
Funny, a fan of Richard Bowden's heard John and I sing that duet when we played The Isle of Capri Bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans one cold January evening and he introduced himself. He got us and Richard together by e-mail. Richard invited us out to his Texas City Music Theatre to open for his band. We had a ball. The local parrothead club put us up in a motorhome at a nearby horse farm.
The Texas City Music Theatre was exquisite with fabulous acoustics and a wonderful crew. Local ladies brought us home cooking to the backstage door. The light show and sound system were perfect. We did an hour set to open and when we started "I Lobster but Never Founder", there was Richard in the wings stage right watching us. Cool!
When we got down, the local parrothead club had us seats saved at a front table with them to watch Richard's show. His band was great and fall-down funny.
Next morning at 5 A.M. I went outside the motorhome to watch the beautiful horses running in the pasture. Unfortunately I wandered too close to the dog pen and their yapping woke up everybody in the main house. Oh well!
Bass Viking, if you need help with the lyrics, e-mail me and I will come up with something.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter; excellent song, excellent story!  Thanks for your offer, but I already was able to find it several places on the internet.  I enjoyed this, you made my day.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.

In short, no! Have kind of lost interest in the last few years, mainly, I suppose because there's next to nothing worth catching round here any more ! I may have another try at catching sea bass on plugs/lures - I know it's possible, but have been trying for a few years with no success.
There are a couple of good trout fisheries around here, but they are pretty expensive. I have caught so many trout over the years that this has lost it's thrill too. It's a bit sad too, that most of these trout are stocked, then caught within a few days. I think I would get more of a buzz from showing someone how to fly-fish for trout, in fact the offer is always open to locals, or anyone passing through...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I had to get out and go fishing after reading this post the other day.  Couldn't go over the weekend due to Grandaughter's 1st birthday party which I could not miss.   Managed to get over to my buddies pond, lake or whatever you call it and caught about two dozen nice largemouth bass today.  I always catch and release at his place to maintain his stock.  Biggest was five pounds, 2 ounces and was 22 inches long.  I have caught one in there that was seven pounds, two ounces. (see my avatar pic)  I might have to go again this week now that I have caught the fever, but it is just soooooo hard to put down my new guitar.

That's nice that you have a friend with a bass pond, Bass Viking.  My Dad used to live at a place where the next door neighbor had a bass pond that we had permission to fish.  I loved going over there after dinner and catching a half dozen or so bass before settling down for the evening. 

I've got a couple invitations from folks to take my daughters over to their ponds, and I think it's about time that I take them up on that.  I think they would like that.  Perhaps this Sunday after church. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Later this week I'm taking a friend up to Klikitat Lake in the Coast Range to scope out the Native Cut-throat Population.  He's never even heard of the place as it is not on ANY map... the Beaver built the lake up in a little canyon and trapped a few hundred Trout about twenty years ago.
Great fishing and NO competition excepting for the Raptors!  Flies are best, something on a #22 or 24 hook and you have to be on top your game to get around all the snags and set on the wiley fish.... tried eggs and powerbait but they sneak right up on ya, clean the hook without even twitching the line.  Lots of fun and if all goes well, it is possible to limit out in 30 minutes.  Good place to set up camp and get a little float tube action.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Just an update....  Been there and was disappointed to find that this Winter was a bit dry and without enough snowfall to keep the water depth up.  Scouted around a bit and it seems that the "caretakers" (Beaver) have either been run off or been trapped out.... hence nobody controlling the level of the water anymore.  Erosion on the dam lowered the depth over 5 feet, and populations of all aquatic life appears to have suffered.  There are still fish worth going after, but we didn't take a boat, so getting to much of the water was a chore of trudging through marsh and mud.  The birds were catching more than we were, so no "keepers" landed this trip.

Wound up at the Beach watching the sunset on the Pacific to end the day, which was nice and not overly cold or hot.... one of the few relatively calm nice days the Oregon Coast gets every year.

Marked a bunch of good holes on a couple of rivers on our map for a little later this Spring when the waterways open up to fishing, lakes are open year-round but we have to wait for May 22 for the rivers to open.  Good runs of Salmon are anticipated, but no Chinook Salmon are allowed to be taken on most waterways.  Silvers & Steelhead will just have to do, with the odd Rainbow this year.  Time to tie up a few flies before they are needed!

Take Care & Good Fishin'!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Took my kids fishing yesterday at a nearby Izaak Walton League's kids fishing rodeo.  They had a ball.  We got there late, so only fished for about forty-five minutes.  They caught two fish each.  My eldest said, "I caught four fish."  I replied, "No honey, you caught two fish and your sister caught two fish."  My eldest then retorted, "I caught four fish.  Two of them came out of the water."  That's just natural fishergirl dialog, right there.  I didn't teach her that.  But I'm sure as heck going to use it! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude