1 (edited by jpage_roxmysox 2007-05-11 20:16:13)

Topic: finally, my first posted song (:

this was actually a school assignment: base a poem off the Beatles song "We were talking About"
enjoy, comments appreciated

DownstreamBy: Kori Gasaway

lively, moderate speed

[D]We were [E]talking about

The [C]second thoughts, [G]and un[C]certain[D]ties   

The broken [E]bonds and in[C]securities[G]   

[D]Just when you [E]thought the poison was [C]gone[G]

[D]You real[E]ize it’s just moved [C]on

Down[G]stream[C] [D]

The [C]mavericks and [G]dirty [C]li[D]es

Tears [E]hidden behind feared [C]enemy [G]eyes

[D]Days last [E]one-way train pulls [C]in[G] [C] [D]

And you are [E]gone on your [C]way

Down[G]stream[C]

the [C]roads we chose[G] [C] [D]

Bless them [E]curse them

Either [C]way we cant turn [G]back

[D]Pushed by [E]fate we are [C]caught in the [G]current[C] [D]

[C]Down[G]stream

The [C]sunset [G]over a des[C]erted [D]town

A girl looks [E]back and sheds a [C]tear[G] [C] [D]

She has [E]never prayed, but to[C]night she’s on her [G]knees

[D]As bombs dis[E]rupt airwaves she re[C]mains un[G]heard[C] [D]

[C]As her prayers are [G]swept down[D]stream

copyright 2007 KG   

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: finally, my first posted song (:

Hey - I want to go to school there too . . . sign me up!  Very cool lyric, Kori . . . quite elegant for a first song.  I'm sure your teacher was wowed by your work.  Keep it and share some more of your creations please.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i totally agree with james!! this song is very very good!!! i would love to show u some of my songs sometimes to but yours is awsome!!!

Keep going Kori!!
luv Rhiannon

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

excellent lyrics!!
good work

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I think it is a nice song, but the problem is, I CAN'T READ NOTES, but I think lot of people don't. For me, when I am playing, best example is a wellknown song, I need to have a tune in my head. Sometimes it really sucks, especially when I see a song, or better encounter a song with the letters A B C D E F G, because I, I mean WE, non professional "note-readers", must have the melody in our head. I don't know if this is the same in your case in the writing art of song(s). As far as my judgement is reaching, I love it, I agree with my fellow "chordians, lyrics are really beautiful and keep following your "feelings" DON'T LET OTHERS TELL YOU WHAT TO DO, but anyway, listen to them, and turn negative attitudes or remarks into positive. I think that I will  never be able to play or perform it, even if you put tablature, or notes.
I am more, a so called "leadguitarplayer", more an in-between ryth-lead, take a song from Creedence Clearwater Revival, play it on your cd player, and there you can really hear the difference between the way of playing like I explained. You hear quit clear the strumpattern of the rythmguitarist, in this case the late Tom Fogerty, and the lead guitar of John Fogerty, with his solos. I will not compare myself with neither Tom, neither John. I am a pretty good player, but even the best guitar players admire an other guitarist. I can only tell that the way I play is and this is only me speaking, more the structure of the song, so when I start playing, you will recognise the song, and this kind of playing goes together with some riffs and some licks. BUT I CAN NOT PLAY SOLO's WHO LAST FOR MINUTES. It is always very funny to enter a musicstore, by preference on a saturday, and to see dozens of people playing solos. Everybody tries to start with solos. Talking about playing, I have still a lot of practising, and before this, I was a Medical Doctor, who had to stop, because of severe sequels of a phenomenal car crash. I hit a tree driving 60 miles/hour: Statistically, I should have been DEAD, I did die too, but my ex-girlfriend saved my life, being allowed to stay at my side, because she is nurse. I never lost conscience, except from the dying part (WEIRD THING DYING), she yelled so hard that they could hear her 6 floors higher, but the brought me back, adrenaline shots, electric cardiac shocks. I restarted working 10 months later, having a different way to approach live, and this is one of the main reasons, I have a huge and nice guitarcollection. So my point was about how I play: I am a LONER, but for 200$ you have a splendid device, korg pandora 4..., having a lot of features, different amps, effects AND very if not most important, a rythmsection, bassloops and drums, you can even choose the key in playing, A --->G. Using this I started really to practise on licks and small solos, so far so good. So if you love writing, and I think you are gifted, practise a lot, hint: use a machine or device with a rythmsection. That section is the most important part in a musicgroup. You have to follow them, and not that they have to follow you.
I wish you a lot of succes with the songwriting. What kind of style do you play, ballads, pop, rock, gothic?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Kori,

Wow, that is some song for a first attemp, well done.

I am in dissagreement with Phil's initial statement about needing to know the melody to play a new song. The absolute beauty of seeing new songs here with just the chords is that you do not have the melody and you make up your own as you go along. I know, as I am sure do most others, which notes I can sing to a given chord and although it may end up completey different to how the composer intended it, you put your own stamp on it.

A little while ago both Ken and I independantly recorded and uploaded James's "So Vivid" and two completely different songs appeared and I bet they were both different to how James plays it. This is what makes this section of the forum so interesting and exciting.

That being said it is alway great to hear the composer's version of their song so how about it? Can we persuade, cajole or bully you into recording this for us all to hear?

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I'll be sure to post some more stuff. As for recording my songs I'm going to try to get some equipment to do it. when I do I'll post the URL on here. I'm probably going to use myspace or youtube unless you have any suggestions. phil, you asked about my style, and to tell you the truth it changes everyday, but I try to stick mostly with pop/rock and a bit of country.  This song turned out to be more of a sheryl crow sounding tune.
Thanks again!
~kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥