Topic: Guitarstrings

At this moment, I use MARTINstrings on my acoustics, very good sound, but transpiration kill them.
I really need your opinion here "chordians".
- d'addario? acoustic-electric????
- ELIXIR strings, very expensive strings, are supposed to be the best, and that is what I wanted to know, they use a special nanoweb coating, so IS THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE WORTH TO PURCHASE ELIXIR STRINGS, and are they really better?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Guitarstrings

I assume by transpiration you mean perspiration. If not then I apologise for my ignorance.
I have just put Martins on my Yamaha and within a matter of hours they are starting to tarnish from my sweaty little fingers. I have honestly only played it once since I put them on and wiped it down when finished, and yet overnight they are starting to die already. Not impressed.
I usually use DADI strings which are way cheaper but I have found them to last much longer than the Martins. I haven't yet ventured into the realms of Elixir; too expensive for a poor player like me. And yes I do mean poor PLAYER.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I use D'Adarrio Jazz nickle's(12-54) on my acoustic. I play outdoors in Florida at  resorts by the water so humidity and sweat are a major problem. I have found that sound quality at first isn't as good with the nickle strings but they do not lose sound quality as the life of the string goes through its cycle. Two things let me know when it's time to change them;they break or tuning becomes more of a problem. What one may lose in tonal quality with the nickle strings instead of bronze, phosphor. or poly/nano coated strings can be compensated suffentially by boosting the highs a tad on your guitar eq or guitar input source( mixer,eq,amp,etc..). I have saved a ton of money by making this change in that the life of my strings have probably increased 10 fold. So to answer your question are the Elixer strings worth it, I say yes if you're recording and no if you're just pluckin' around. Just a little input from a full-time working musician......Peace

Give everything but up.

Try the Dean Markley brand (Phosphor Bronze). They're priced as regular strings but i find that they last longer than most other brands (Martins, d'Addario). I normally get the medium-light gauge for my Guild acoustic.

Other than that, try to use a cloth to wipe down your strings after playing.

What martin strings are you using? I use the "SP" type in phosphor bronze and get exellent sound and very good longivity.  (I still can't spell however...oh well)

I've tried the Elixer brand and have been assured that I'm one of a thousand that hates them.

Hey

I recently put some cheap 'Earthwood' strings on my acoustic.  They may be cheap but love the deep and mellow sound they give!  They're not much ... perhaps worth a try!?  As far as Sweaty Finger Syndrome (SFS) goes, it's too early to tell but I tend to suffer from this too!

Chris

I had a set of Elixir Light strings to try.  But my brother in law, whose an accomplished musician, told me to try some extra light strings.  I've been playing less than a year and he suggested this as a way for me to be able to play longer on my acoustic guitar, since my fingers get sore after an hour or so with the Light strings.  After my lesson on Tuesday I stopped to chat with one of the clerks at the guitar store.  I asked if I could exchange my Elixir Lights for a set of extra light but Elixir doesn't make them.  D'Addario does though and they're the phosphor bronze coated ones around $20 bucks just like the Elixir.  They are easier to play but my guitar has definitely lost it's "tone" and sound and the strings buzz a bit.  Think I may go back to sore fingers and Light strings.  Or else buy an electric guitar.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I use what I have, mostly it are MARTIN strings, and personnally I prefer the ultralights, even hitting your strings hard, will become easy. In the beginning, I used thicker strings, but my fingers didn't agree, but if you take time and be careful, you start getting careful after a while, you can keep your strings complete.
- BUT WHEN IS IT TIME TO CHANGE STRINGS
- HOW LONG ARE STRINGS GOOD, NOT USING THEM YET, SO STILL UNPACKED?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hello HeatherAB,

The loss of tone after putting lighter coated strings on may be a characteristic of the strings. The buzzing however is different and I think can be corrected.

There will be less tension with the lighter strings causing the neck to arch back slightly which will leave the strings closer to the frets and hence cause the buzzing. This can be adjusted, although it is not the job for an amateur, so another chat with the guy at your music store will no doubt reveal a competent technician for the job.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Roger,

Thanks for the info.  I've only been playing for less than a year and the other day was the first time I changed my strings by myself.  smile 

I was just searching online about strings and found the same conclusion about the buzzing.  I wish they had told me this at my guitar store, if I switch to a lighter gauge string.  Think I'm going to go buy a new set of "light" strings today.  I also read online that it's very common for new players to press too firmly on the strings, causing sore fingers.  I am starting to apply less pressure when I play a chord, so all is not lost for my sore fingers.  Thanks again Roger and just call me "Heather".  The AB just stands for Alberta. 

Cheers
Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

hey hey hey....first those sweaty hands can damage ur guitar's neck and finishing and also as you say the strings...get some fret board conditioner and string cleaner/lubricant the brand name is luthiers choice by gibson USA....mrjay is right about the dean markley brand..i use the ghs vintage bronze strings. they are a set of light strings so try finding them if ur in need for some lighter stuff....

enjoy
saba

love is like a violin, the music may stop now and then but the strings remain forever...