1 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-05-22 13:41:16)

Topic: The Best Choice I Ever Made...song I started on, feel free to critique

My neighbors and I were talking yesterday and she said: "He has to have the best of everything!  Look at his mower, check out his golf clubs, his tools; everything he has is the best."  Immediately, I replied:  "Well then, what does that say about you?  He picked you didn't he?   Her reply was:  "Nice Jim, way to bail him out of this argument!"   The conversation kind of stuck with me and I put this together last night and today.  Feel free to comment and or critique.  I am pretty thick skinned since I am so new to trying to write songs and play my guitar that I haven't had time to build up any ego about either.  Thanks,  Bass Viking

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Re: The Best Choice I Ever Made...song I started on, feel free to critique

nice work on the composistion kind of home spun wisdom smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks for posting up a fine piece of writing smile

Funny how one thing said can tweek you and become a lyric as such.

I haggled, I bartered, I traded and hunted,
for just what I wanted in life
I’m not sorry I looked for the best things
that’s how I found you; my wife
the best choice I made in my life.

Nice job on the Chorus  smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

4 (edited by Jody Wayne 2010-05-12 15:35:07)

I bought the best, and the repair man is here "now" fixing it.  lol

I love this song.  Excellent writing.

I thought I would get a little more feedback about this effort.  Thanks to those who commented.  I get to play it tonight for the neighbors for the first time.   See how it goes over with them!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.

Good job on this one Jim. Don't take it to heart that you've not gotten as much feedback as you'd ideally like. It maybe just takes a little time. I for one would like to hear a recording of this if you get a chance.

Also, I always think that if a song gets to just one person then it's worth writing. So well done. And keep them coming....

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Can't tell about the music in this format but I love the rock solid philosophical declaration favoring discrimination.
Discrimination is a dirty word these days but a quality life would be impossible without it. Why choose the mediocre car to drive or woman to love when it's possible to do better. Human nature demands the best and appreciates it.
Way to go, Jim.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Oops... I've been watching the thread and hadn't realized that I didn't post yet!  Sorry Jim!  sad 

I can't quite get the rhythm of the song just from reading it.  There's a lot of songs that I've printed out which I KNOW and have to remind myself how they go when I see them on paper.  I guess I need to hear it to really be able to comment as far as that goes.  I do really like the lyrics.  The story that goes with it is really neat.  How you could turn a little conversation like that into full lyrics is beyond me.  I've come up with a few ideas here and there, but rarely am quite able to get much further than a couple lines on my own.  I think you've got a good knack Jim!  Let us know when you have a chance to record it somehow so we can get a better grip on "how it goes"!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Jim,

This is a great song. A lot of my songs start from the same place - a few words that make you think. My problem is that I'm going deaf and a lot of what I hear is only half what people say most of the time - still, the confusion  can be fun !!

Mind you, your neighbour's wife is now looking at you with different coloured spectacles.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Thanks folks for the feedback.  Being new at this it is always interesting to hear what others think.  I agree with you Amy (MKMom) that often the true measure of how one reacts to a song is what it sounds like to you when you hear it.  The words don't often do a service to a melody.   I think Tubatooter and Bud_wiser kind of hinted at that with their comments about hearing a recording.  I am not sure how to go about that just yet, so maybe you guys could enlighten me as to the best way to do this.

For me it's all pretty low tech BV. Generally just a webcam and a cheap mic. It's not even a music mic, just a wee chat mic, but it works ok to get an idea across. Then just stick the video onto YouTube. either that or whack it onto Myspace.

Be warned though, it's addictive. I was positively coy when I started all this a few years ago. Love it now....

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

OK, I just managed to pick up a Zoom H2 recorder.  As soon as I can get it figured out, I will at least try to get some audio of how I do this.  I think it is definitely better to hear what someone had in mind when they put something together.  I did manage to play this publicly and got some great responses considering I am not really a singer and am just a newbie aspiring guitar player.  Hope to have something soon.  Thanks Bud_wiser for the response.  I'll see what I can come up with.

ooooo Zooom!  You are going to enjoy playing with that little gadget!  Remember if you upload to youtube, it has to be a video of some sort.  You can make a title page that just lasts the entire song, or pictures or whatnot.  Another favorite among the members here is the soundclick website.  You can just upload music there without any video file.  I'm considering doing that myself now as I'm mostly messing with just my Zoom and kinda don't want to be bothered with slideshows to go with it as a video file.  But then, I do like fiddling with the computer.  LOL!  Check out the Recording Section for some ideas on where to set your mic etc!  Good luck Jim!

14 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-05-22 13:43:45)

Okay folks, here is my first attempt at recording with my newly acquired Zoom H2.   Newbie to recording, newbie to songwriting and newbie to guitar playing.  Never imagined myself actually singing either, let alone having it out there for the whole world to hear.   Anyway, here it is; let me know what you think.  I realize I need to get better quickly with the H2 as it is super sensitive and picked up even my least movements.

After some re-thinking, I changed the title of the song to

"How I Found You"

http://www.soundclick.com/bassviking

Excellent Bass Viking.  It sounds great.  Good job.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

There ya go Jim smile   You've been Chordieized smile

Great sound that comes out of such a small package, now we're looking forwards to the video.
If they ever sell the H2 up here I'll be thinking big time on spending some cash on one. Lots of great reviews ...and the proofs in the pudding.

Well Done smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Sounding good Jim. Great job. I give it a month and you'll have a dozen on there.....look forward to it!

Hey Bass Viking
For a newbie in all departments smile this really good..
Hope to hear more from you in the future.
ark

19 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-05-23 16:56:37)

Thanks to everybody for weighing in about this.  I am really intrigued by getting involved with all of this and find myself thinking about things said by others that "that would make an interesting song."   I want to get better and hearing it played back gives you feedback you never imagined.  The supportive folks on here make this easier because it makes you not afraid to fail, which I am sure many do when trying to write, play and sing songs.   Thanks again to all!   Proud to be a Chordian and call you all peers.    Jim

Hi Jim,

A great song and recording for a first attempt. I hope it is the first of many. I bet you will soon be a regular in the recording section smile.

Well done,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well done...especially for your first attempt. Keep up the good work!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Attaboy Jim, I know your wife is thrilled with that one. Mine would be.
Fine first effort. You must continue, sir.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Whoo Hoo (clap clap clap clap)!  Very well done Jim!  Thanks for trusting your Chordie friends by putting this up there.  It's a little scary the first time... but you did very well and should be darn proud of yourself.  Now that I hear how it goes, I like it even more!  It has a countryish/folkish feel to it.  Well done, and the H2 seems to agree with you very well.  Hope to hear more soon!

Yeah, I really like this one. Your words ring true in very sense and I can tell this comes from the heart. Your wife had to of shed a tear when you sang this to her. I know mine would have! Well done indeed.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Well Bass Viking,

Did you play it for your neighbours ? Tell me what they thought of it sir.Don't ya just love when
someone says something that inspires the creativity in your soul...I have written lots of stuff over the years
just by hearing a sentence also in conversation..

Your song is also very pleasant to listen to sir.. Very well done for a first recording, ya did great. Hats off to you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !