Topic: Tablature??

As a new guitar player I have a question that will make all you pro's out there giggle into your morning coffee. In tablature when there is a fret number that has a slash / into the next number, eg 13/14 , what does it mean and what do I do?. Stupid question, maybe, but everyone is allowed one.

Jamie

Re: Tablature??

Welcome to Chordie Jamier!

Conventions in Tab can have variants, but I believe what you are looking at is 13/14 to indicate play the note at 13 and bend up to the tone of the 14th fret on that same string.  Conversely the back slash would indicate starting with a string bent to that note and releasing the bend to the next fret number descending ie:   13/14\13, play 13, bend to 14 and release to 13.

If I have that wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct or clarify my statement.  As a new guitar player you have certainly come to the right place to get help and music to learn along with the tips and tricks to make your journey more enjoyable.  There are lots of good people around here to get to know and I'm sure you will fit right in, so visit often, post regularly and jump right in!

Take Care & Welcome Aboard!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks very much Doug.

Jamie

Correct, there are alot of veriations for TABS, but if I were reading this I would think they want you to play the 13 and slide up to 14. If they wanted you to bend the note up it would look like this 13^14.

Howdy Again,

I knew I could be corrected!  I've seen a lot of variations depending on where the tab originated.  Slides are sometimes annotated:
13s21, or 13>21(slide up), 21<13 (slide down).  Bends sometimes are 13b15, or 13^15.  There is a strong possibility that the 13/14 indicates a hammer-on as well, sometimes seen 13h14.  Conventions vary so it really helps to have the recording of the music to refer to when figuring out what was intended.

Personally... I like good old fashioned sheet music, with the time signature, and all that stuff clearly written out.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Dear chordie,

I'm a new people ind the guitar lesson....
so I can't read your TAB to well. Would you like to give me know about your tab?

These are mark what I can't mean...
/.....
\\......
p.....
h.......
x......
^.....(I think it mean is bending, is't it?.
And I find them in Steve vai's TABS at Tender Surender song.....

Thanks very much for to reply my message

These are mark what I can't mean...
/.....Slide up
\\......Slide down
p.....Pull-off
h.......Hammer-on
x......Muted
^.....Bend up

Hope I helped.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

dear lickbyneck mania........

Many thanks for to answer my question.
Now I can get lesson with last Tabs again.......

see You nex time.forgive me if I have distrubeed your time.