Topic: Guitar Suggestions??

My friend Cam is looking to buy an electric. He doesn't know how to play but he wants to learn. He is looking for a nice electric within the $200 range. He asked me for help, so now I'm asking you guys. I'd like to find something for him that isn't cheaply made, but doesn't cost too much. Something that won't turn him away from playing. Any suggestions?? Anything would be a help

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

Re: Guitar Suggestions??

Check out the Epiphone Special models. You can get a Les Paul or an SG for around $200.00. I bought my son a Les Paul special and it plays well and sounds pretty good. If he wants to maybe get a higher end guitar to start,check out your local music shop or Craigs list. A word of warning though, have somebody knowledgeable assist if you go through Craigslist. I'm not saying that everyone out there will rip you offbut you don't want to buy somebodies disguised junk either. Lots of luck in your search

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I agree, Epis are good, also some of the lower end Strats would be good.  Seems Dean and Washburn, or even Ibenez have some reasonable priced guitars to start out with.... whatever you get, be sure to have it set-up properly because even a really good guitar setup poorly, will knock the wind out of your sails in a hurry.

Shop around though and play everything you can within the budget you've set yourself.  Sound will vary between instruments of the same brand and model, but you can find a good one now and then.  One of my personal favorite artists Peter White records his stuff in the studio with a second-hand Korean made $75.00 nylon acoustic because nothing else he owns sounds as good in that environment.... and he has some really spendy custom made guitars in his kit!

Take Care & Good Hunting!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

The Squire Strats are quality enough for a beginner. Include the price of the professional set up that it will definetly need. I think I've seen them advertised for $119.

The SX, Douglas and Agile guitars are top notch begginer,intermediate, or pro guitars and affordable enough to modify into an outstanding performer guitar. They can be found at Rondomusic.com ranging in price from $70 to $600. The Jay Turser and Xavier guitars are also very affordable and quality made.

dfoskey wrote:

The SX, Douglas and Agile guitars are top notch begginer,intermediate, or pro guitars and affordable enough to modify into an outstanding performer guitar. They can be found at Rondomusic.com ranging in price from $70 to $600. The Jay Turser and Xavier guitars are also very affordable and quality made.

+1 on Rondo Music!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Dear chordie,

I'm a new people ind the guitar lesson....
so I can't read your TAB to well. Would you like to give me know about your tab?

These are mark what I can't mean...
/.....
\\......
p.....
h.......
x......
^.....(I think it mean is bending, is't it?.
And I find them in Steve vai's TABS at Tender Surender song.....

Thanks very much for to reply my message.

Last edited by Arie Orlots (Today 06:55:31)

geoaguiar wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

+1 on Rondo Music!!!!

I will second that... and fast shipping to boot!  My son's SX only cost around $99 and came with a little practice amp yet it's higher quality materials than a squire.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Arie Orlots wrote:

Dear chordie,

I'm a new people ind the guitar lesson....
so I can't read your TAB to well. Would you like to give me know about your tab?

These are mark what I can't mean...
/.....
\\......
p.....
h.......
x......
^.....(I think it mean is bending, is't it?.
And I find them in Steve vai's TABS at Tender Surender song.....

Thanks very much for to reply my message.

Last edited by Arie Orlots (Today 06:55:31)

Arie - please begin a new thread asking for help with this.  By posting your off topic question here you will not be likely to get answers.  This topic was started by the original poster looking for help in purchasing a new electric guitar.  Your question is misplaced, and is considered "post hijacking".  We'd love to help you out, but please start a "new topic" for your question.  Thank you!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Arie, whilst welcoming you to Chordie I have to point out that you have hijacked two other posts with the identical question. I have now removed the other two. Please ask your question once and follow mekidsmom's advice in starting a new topic for a new question. If you are unsure how to do so please write to me privately and I will give you step by step instrucions on what to do.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Syd1994 wrote:

My friend Cam is looking to buy an electric. He doesn't know how to play but he wants to learn. He is looking for a nice electric within the $200 range. He asked me for help, so now I'm asking you guys. I'd like to find something for him that isn't cheaply made, but doesn't cost too much. Something that won't turn him away from playing. Any suggestions?? Anything would be a help

I'm more of an acoutic player, but I have played my fair share of electrics. I found that in th 200.00 price range Ibanez makes a great playing guitar. Tell you're friend that for 100.00 more, it will open up a whole world of very nice guitars and many different brands to chose from. if he ends up later down the road not sticking with it, it will be easier to sell the better guitar. Good luck.

if buying an electric, awesome pick for this is Ibanez guitars. very very affordable and durable, perfect for beginners and intermediate users. i suggest you get your friend to buy the Ibanez GIO series, perfect for practice and live gigs. i think they also have a guitar + amp package, includes cables, picks and guitar strap. enjoy!

Don't rule out some of the JHS vintage guitars, very solid bits of kit and a good price too.  I have V100 Lemon Drop and it's a lovely.

start with a squire strat or jagmaster-- upgrade if you decide you like electric