Topic: Some input please.... (Got her done :) Pics posted)

As some of you may know from other posts, I'm cutting a fender F soundport in an old OM for a friend... Well he won't offer any input on it, just tells me to use my judgement.  So here are some pics of the guitar with a pattern on it for a general idea of the design. So, what you guys think?? I'd like to get a few opinions before I cut into someone else's guitar wink  It will start off slightly smaller (just inside the lines).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4647603348_dd707c1898.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4647603160_ee1a08479d.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Some input please.... (Got her done :) Pics posted)

It looks like it would be great, but then again, cutting into someone elses would scare me.  However, I am sure you will do a good job.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I think it looks good Pix!  I like the angle on it.  Will that design offer the desired effect with the sound port?  Seems they tend to be round, although I imagine sound will come through the hole no matter what shape it is!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

I think it looks good Pix!  I like the angle on it.  Will that design offer the desired effect with the sound port?  Seems they tend to be round, although I imagine sound will come through the hole no matter what shape it is!

MK you make a good point! Study has shown that sound travels better through rounded holes... Sharper angles and corners does reduce the amount of volume through the port and I wouldn't use this design on a dread for that reason but the smaller cavity volume of the OM should push plenty of air/sound out. I've explained all this to the owner and he opted to go with it. I think it will sound fine just maybe not quit as loud as a comparable oval or rounded port.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Well I've already got it cut and am straightening/smoothing out the edges and details. Should have some pics up in an hour or 2 smile

OK here's what we've got..
I really like the look of this one and think it turned out perfectly smile I really hate the way these photo though... They never look half as good as they do in person.  I did stuff a black t-shirt in the soundhole to try and help it show a little better. This is at the stained stage. I still haven't put the clear on the edges.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4647624937_5603dffea8.jpg

That looks perfect to me. I wish I had the nerve & skills to do that to my fav. acoustic
Steve

Thanks Steve! Welcome aboard!! It's really not as hard or nerve racking as it may seem... OK, the first one might have been wink  I remember prepping/thinking for months on that one lol

Wow!  You didn't waste any time Pix!  Good job!  It's beautiful

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Pix, Looks pretty fine to me!

Do have one question though (and I'm betting you've already thought this out, but it might be of assist to someone else thinking about doing the same), That "arrowhead" shaped piece at the inner top of the F....  What's the possibility of that bent wood drawing moisture and trying to return to it's original flat shape (pre-bending)?  Might that be a "snagger" subject to getting hung up on a sleeve or something and getting broken in the future?  Or are you thinking about some sort of brace on the inside to help hold it in place?

OK... so that came out as more than one question all related.

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey Doug, I don't really foresee a problem... Maybe I'm just optimistic smile It would be easy enough to reinforce from the Bottom if it ever shows signs of movement. A small brace radius-ed to match the shoulder would stiffen it up and maintain it's shape. If it was a solid sided guitar I would have added a backing plate (or other means of support) before routing but laminate is more stable and it shouldn't be an issue. I did position that area on the flatter portion of the shoulder just in case. He wanted it a touch higher but that would have put it on the heavy curve at the top of the shoulder....

That's a heck of a talent you got there Pix smile

I'd like to get something like that done to my guitar...it looks good and at the same time I'd have an extra hole to dump out all the picks I keep losing inside mine. smile

Really outstanding craftmanship. big_smile

Kudos to You

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Thanks Pix for the response.  I wasn't thinking that it was a laminate which certainly would be fairly stable.  Many acoustics are solid around the bouts so it would be something to be aware of although you could reinforce the area either prior to or after cutting.  Less of an issue with an oval or round opening..... the signature shape looks really good and I think more folks would opt for something similar.

Nice Job!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I'm confused. Does an extra sound hole increase volume that much? It's aimed at the player, does that create a fazing problem? What does it do to tone? Hay I'm a newbie.

It's beautiful Pix!  Keep up the good work!  Have you done this to an Ovation yet?

Now available in 5G !

Look great, lucky its some one elses guitar!

jjash wrote:

I'm confused. Does an extra sound hole increase volume that much? It's aimed at the player, does that create a fazing problem? What does it do to tone? Hay I'm a newbie.

I'm going to cheat on your questions and send you a link to my first soundport project post.... smile I believe all your answers can be found there http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12387

tandm3 wrote:

Have you done this to an Ovation yet?

Haven't done it to an ovation yet but they are known for their durability and I imagine the bowl material would be very stable and easy to work with... The shape of the back could be a factor with ovations though.... Not structurally but acoustically, Just not sure how it would accept it and of the outcome.... I'll do some checking up on this and see if I can find someone that's tried it. If I find anything, I'll send it to ya.

Butch8844 wrote:

Look great, lucky its some one elses guitar!

Thanks!  I've done all my acoustics except for 2... I'm going to do them as well, I just haven't decided on a design...