Re: "F" chord is now outlawed

Fs all Aug. cords need to be outlawed!!!

If you have trouble playing barre chords...the solution is to correct your posture...not use your thumb.

jefx wrote:

If you have trouble playing barre chords...the solution is to correct your posture...not use your thumb.

The  topic was  the F chord... And many players use the thumb for the root on E.   
I dont care for the F, or Bb barre , but will barre as I go up,   The size of your hands also comes in to play as well
Steve

Barre chords are really tricky at first, the cheat Bm really helps me get by, too (xx4432) I still use it in a lot of places because it's just a hell of a lot faster anuyways. My suggestion with the whole barre chords situation is to just play the chords you can play, get really good at changing between them (I always look at the first three frets as a 3X6 box with only a certain amount of allowable combinations) and minimising the total finger movements involved. For example, when switching from the C to Am, you only need to move one finger, not pull them all off at once. Pretty basic, I know, but it helps to visualise all of your movements and think them through. Anyways, getting back to barres; Your fingers will eventually strengthen enough to make them easier, but you may just really lack the strength in your tendons to pull it off at first. Luckily if you're practicing enough you'll build up the endurance for them without actually having to attempt them all the time. To get the B barre going, try to practice your A by fretting all three strings (2,3 and 4) with one finger, preferably your ring finger. Then when you're ready, it'll feel a bit more natural to flatten those strings while you barre the 2nd fret.

Meh...gave up on the traditional style of barre chords.
Now I play Hendrix Style.
And I can nail everything....PERFECTLY.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I have no problem barring the F chord but usually use the short form suggested by mekidsmom because I'm lazy.
So after a while I ended up back where I began.

Same with the B flat.
Short it with the index finger on the 3rd fret and don't usually bother with the bass notes.

cheers !!!!!! my savior no more F lol

Lorena loves u

I guess I'm the odd ball... I refused to learn/use any cheater chords until I could do them all fully barred first... IMO, taking the time to learn the cheats just takes practice time away from learning the real chord... Not saying they're not good to know, 'cause they do fit some songs better, but if you can squeeze by with a cheat, where's the real initiative to learn them proper?? Chances are you'll stop at the cheat and/or take twice as long to getting around to learning the full barres.

I may get pounded for this but..... I also think carrying your thumb over for the bass note is bad, bad, bad smile It limits your reach and is just plan bad form IMO...  I'll admit that it comes in handy sometimes playing fingerstyle to catch the odd bass note but as a general rule I say stay with the full barre  and keep your thumb where it belongs at the mid/back of the neck smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I say if it sounds good it is good. This guy seems to do all right with the thumb wrap-around bit:

Richie Havens Sings "Here Comes the Sun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEC_97p3C0k

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Yea but look at the angle he has to hold his guitar to do it! He's a giant also lol Honestly, I really didn't find the playing that impressive though....  Now this girl inspires me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI_FHSOcLQU The clarity and precision of the piece is amazing IMO.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Practice. Practice. Practice. (And throw in a little left hand Zen)

37 (edited by Detman101 2010-06-01 12:02:20)

topdown wrote:

I say if it sounds good it is good. This guy seems to do all right with the thumb wrap-around bit:

Richie Havens Sings "Here Comes the Sun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEC_97p3C0k

Whoa! Thats a new one!
Thats the first time I've seen someone playing in Drop-D with only their thumb!

The Technique referenced before is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzKXW8q3Dw

MUCH MUCH more comfortable for playing long and hard...provided you don't have stubby fingers.

;-]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I love to see all the different styles out there!  That girl was amazing Pix!  Once upon a time we'd call those "piano fingers" ... but new meaning to a wide finger stretch is now born!  AMAZING!  I'm amazed by Richie Havens style there too... whatever works!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Guitarpix wrote:

I guess I'm the odd ball... I refused to learn/use any cheater chords until I could do them all fully barred first... IMO, taking the time to learn the cheats just takes practice time away from learning the real chord... Not saying they're not good to know, 'cause they do fit some songs better, but if you can squeeze by with a cheat, where's the real initiative to learn them proper?? Chances are you'll stop at the cheat and/or take twice as long to getting around to learning the full barres.

I may get pounded for this but..... I also think carrying your thumb over for the bass note is bad, bad, bad smile It limits your reach and is just plan bad form IMO...  I'll admit that it comes in handy sometimes playing fingerstyle to catch the odd bass note but as a general rule I say stay with the full barre  and keep your thumb where it belongs at the mid/back of the neck smile

Gutiarpix,, I dont think its  one good , one bad , of vice versa.  Its just a trick.  I used to practice barres,, by playing full barre F chord , strum it a couple bts, then " rearrange " fingers  aka switch chords to Bb.  Then F# to B maj.  and move up the board bit at a time.  Theres nothing wrong w/ knowing how to do both,, and I think any little trick that can help a person ,  play a chord they couldnt helps.  More confidence will end up making that person learn , knowing they can.
I believe there more  of a physical aspect than some seem to think , when they first come to guitar , and it frustrates them ,  I know a guy who teaches , and when he sees me playing the folk F , gets mad,, he says that chord is harder than the barre version! 
everybodys different , but many options are good.
  no offence intended  now or ever

Steve

Hey Steve and welcome to Chordie!  Absolutely no offence taken or meant by me either wink I meant the Bad bad bad Light heartedly and tried to express that with the smile A good bag of tricks is always an asset and I do feel that people should look at progressions with an open mind and play them the easiest way possible ( as long as it fits the piece). I use the thumb over with / chords a lot but do try to keep my thumb behind the neck for all Barre chords... It's just how I was taught (had a Classical teacher...). My point was just, to be sure and not stop there. Be sure to progress to full barre's if you use cheats. If you wrap around be sure you can Barre for when you need that stretch. That's all... -Pix/Chris

I don't like to substitute easier sounding chords with the real chord. It is frustrating at first but that's one of the things I love about my guitar. I love when I accomplish something that I was struggling with, and then one day it's just like BAMMM!!! I got it  I actually for real lives really got it. It's an awesome feeling, and the song sounds just like it should. Keep practicing!!

Oh no the army is knocking my door down they know I'm a mutant nooooooo...................

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Barre chords are very nearly effortless when done right.

First, leave your comfort zone.  If you normally practice sitting down, stand up (or vice versa).

Second, the effort for the barre chord DOES NOT come via the thumb!  Your finger muscles are used to hold your fingers in position, and the effort on the strings comes from the shoulder and bicep.  You'll need to put some counter pressure across the body with your strumming/picking forearm, and getting comfortable with that takes practice.

Once you have the idea, you can actually lift your thumb from the back of the neck, and still play the barre chord!  Your thumb is only used as guide at that point.

If you're not working on this stuff for 5 minutes, every single day, then you're slacking. Quit your whining, and do the practice. ;-)

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

First, leave your comfort zone.  If you normally practice sitting down, stand up (or vice versa).

Second, the effort for the barre chord DOES NOT come via the thumb!  Your finger muscles are used to hold your fingers in position, and the effort on the strings comes from the shoulder and bicep.  You'll need to put some counter pressure across the body with your strumming/picking forearm, and getting comfortable with that takes practice.

Once you have the idea, you can actually lift your thumb from the back of the neck, and still play the barre chord!  Your thumb is only used as guide at that point.

If you're not working on this stuff for 5 minutes, every single day, then you're slacking. Quit your whining, and do the practice. ;-)

This method does make it much easier but using the guitar as leverage also pulls it sharp about 1/8 -1/4 note by pulling the neck back. Try holding your guitar with a tuner in your lap... Now position your finger to barre the lower 5 strings but don't apply any pressure. Hit the E string and it shows in tune, now barre the lower 5 strings ( allowing the E to ring through) using leverage like that and watch the E move to sharp. I'm not sure how much or even if it really does hurt it, but I wouldn't think that that constant flexing of the neck joint would be good for the guitar in the long run either.... Just some thoughts....

Guitarpix wrote:
dguyton wrote:

This method does make it much easier but using the guitar as leverage also pulls it sharp about 1/8 -1/4 note by pulling the neck back. Try holding your guitar with a tuner in your lap... Now position your finger to barre the lower 5 strings but don't apply any pressure. Hit the E string and it shows in tune, now barre the lower 5 strings ( allowing the E to ring through) using leverage like that and watch the E move to sharp. I'm not sure how much or even if it really does hurt it, but I wouldn't think that that constant flexing of the neck joint would be good for the guitar in the long run either.... Just some thoughts....

Guitarpix, that would be true if you were using more pressure than it takes to make the strings meet the fret.  If you're using the right amount of effort, it's absolutely no different than using just the fingers, you're just using bigger muscles to do it.  I've NEVER pulled it sharp this way.

--David St. Hubbins

Cool all guitars are different I suppose... Playing from 3rd up mine doesn't go sharp doing this... (I was just playing around with it after your post) But on F F# Bb & B they pull sharp regardless... But that far from the body you increase the leverage...(Just for reference I was trying it on short scale with only 3/32 at the 12th so it's not the action)  I would think the problem would be worse when your really "feeling" the music though wink

I'm really not liking how my guitar sounds doing this sad   I'm  killing my tone by holding the soundboard and back. I was always taught to keep the forearm away from the top and the back away from your body.. Doing this is hindering my top and back resonance and hurting my tone/sustain/volume. It may not be enough for the average "audience" to really hear but other guitarist would and more importantly I notice it.. It's like my guitar just lost all it's liveliness. How do you address that??   I'm just trying to understand man smile I'm always open to try new things wink But right now I like using my thumb for pressure much better...

Just thought about something.... Maybe I'm just hearing this stuff more because of the soundports......

It might come down to differences in the ears and the instrument; I'll freely admit that my ears aren't the most sensitive in the world.  smile  As to the instrument, I'm playing on Gretsch archtops in classical position, with the back snugged right up to my chest and my right forearm naturally rests across the "corner" between the side and top of the lower bout (I'm also doing mostly fingerstyle these days, for what that's worth).  With an archtop electric, suppressing some of the 'liveliness' of the guitar is pretty well necessary for controlling feedback.  Plus, I really like the feeling of the guitar back vibrating against my chest, but YMMV. 

I came up with how to do this a couple of years ago, when I was struggling with barre chords and thumb cramps on a daily basis.  I was watching some concert footage, and asking myself, "how do these guys make it look so easy for so long?"  At the same time, I was working through "Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" (which I highly recommend to everyone, by the way), and the muscle and touch-awareness that is put forth in that book suddenly just clicked -- use different, stronger muscles to do the same job.  Suddenly, the chords were ringing and I could do it for 10 minutes straight from the get-go.

I don't have a guitar with me at the moment, but I'll slap a tuner on and check it tonight when I get home.  Gretsches have pretty narrow necks (not so narrow as a Rickenbacker, but still), so it ought to be detectable.

Just curious here, how do you keep the guitar away from your body when you're playing?

--David St. Hubbins

Archtop electric makes all the difference!! I'm using a lightly built solid wood acoustic. I could see how this could be feasible with electrics though smile

As for keeping it away... I seldom play standing up cause it's hard to do (minimize contact) strapped in. So I usually use a playing chair or good barstool with a back. It's easy enough to keep just a little distance from you and the guitar that way, at least with an acoustic. The narrowness of an electric body would make it more difficult to steady the instrument... Also I imagine you don't harm the tone by touching it much with an electric since most of your tone is from your pickups and effects.. At least you wouldn't be able to really tell when plugged in. All the best man! -Chris

As a side note I also like to play in classical position if I'm going to be playing barre for prolonged periods of time. The position seems to offer less fatigue and easier stretches smile

48 (edited by dguyton 2010-06-03 17:25:15)

...And I'm all about less fatigue and easy stretches! 

The only effect I use with any regularity is a bit of reverb, otherwise I'm playing clean.  I also have a solid-wood Taylor acoustic (they don't get much lighter than that!), I'll check with the tuner on that too.

I was just digging around, trying to come up with the Guitar Principles term used for what I'm trying to describe for the barres, and it's "the heavy arm"; meaning that if you use the muscles in the fingers to keep them just stiff enough, you use the large muscles of the arm to apply pressure to the strings.  The Principles also has exercises to teach just how LITTLE pressure it actually takes to fret a note, so that might be a factor as well.  Somehow, I knew that I wasn't the first one to come up with this...

--David St. Hubbins

Okay I did some research and understand the technique you're referring to. Your not really using the guitar as leverage... It's simply were you relax the muscles of your fretting arm and allow it's weight to "hang" and assist with the barring pressure. You still squeeze with the thumb but this technique allows less pressure and (though the article didn't say) I'd assume your thumb position would be slightly higher on the back of the neck so that it acts like a fulcrum for the weight to be applied to the barring finger.

Here's the link I was looking at http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_ … chords.htm

That's the essay I was looking for yesterday and couldn't find.  Thanks.

I put a tuner on my Taylor and my Gretsch this morning, and I did find that I'm pulling the f# chord just a touch sharp, but that might well have been finger position (not quite getting the barre right over the fret).  I say that because both the G and the F were right on, so I don't think there was a significant amount of neck flex involved.

I hope that everyone else has been reading and benefiting from this discussion, Guitarpix.  It's important that the attitude toward barre chords shifts from dread to anticipation; these forms are absolutely essential to a lot of material, and make so much of it so easy!

--David St. Hubbins