Topic: recording songs...

I've written a couple songs and want to get them out there, and I was wondering what I should use to record them.  I want something I can hook up to my PC(to post on a myspace or something), and I don't want to spend more than $100 (I don't need anything fancy) I looked on musicians friend, and there is a huge selection of hardware and software, but I'm not sure of what I need and what I don't.
Thanks in advance!
~kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: recording songs...

There is some very nice free recording and editing software available.  Google up 'Audacity' and you can download this open-source software for free.

I would recommend using your money on a nice USB microphone that goes directly into your 'puter.  I use a 'Snowball' by Blue Microphones (about $100 US).  The Snowball is flexible - it can either be a condenser, cardioid, or combo mic.

This set-up will give you the ability to lay down and mix multiple tracks and record everything in a room or just what is directly in front of the mic.  Recording is an art unto itself - takes some real practice and trial and error.

Hope some other folks chip in their views on this - James McCormick

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

ok... I'm looking at one that seems pretty nice but it says it cancels out background noise... will this make my guitar sound really soft
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009 … B000EOPQ7E
I'm also considering renting out a local recording studio for $25 an hour.  This includes the actual recording, and mastering, plus two master CD's along with access to over 50 vintage guitars no extra charge.
http://www.getawaygallery.com/audio.html
wow so many options!
thanks so much for your help!

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

That kind of microphone is designed just for speaking voice . . . perfect for talking into, but not suitable for recording music.  Those are condenser mikes which means they pick up sound from all around.

Those kinds of mics are not intended to record music - they just don't have the range and sensitivity needed to capture singing and playing.  It won't make your guitar sound real soft, it just won't sound very good.

This is one of those situations where you would rather get something that is well-suited for the job rather that something cheaper that you know won't ever be what you need.

The local recording studio could be a great learning experience.  Be ready to use the time you book and don't be afraid to ask the engineer/owner/technician lots of questions.  They will have probably seen and heard it all . . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Kori,

I can only second James's suggestions here. Audacity is a very good and free programme for recording and you want to get the best quality microphone that you can. If you want a free programme to convert wave to MP3 for uploading go to: http://www.mp3-converter.com/ and try DBPowerAmp.

If you do decide to use the studio for your first recording session it will give you the best insight into how things are done and will be of great beneift when you later record on your own.

Good luck,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hey...normally dont talk on these type of places...but im in a similar situation, only as an american missionary kid in kenya.  where we live is in the bush, 3 hours from a real town...but studio prices there are really cheap... 10 bucks an hour, 20 for the mixing/mastering... however i also believe home recording is good when starting, because running a bill in the studio is easy.  if your just looking to make demos, and be putting your music down i recommend home recording.  one time cost, always there, no hidden fees...for me its good because i just want to get recordings, make the songs mine, you know? so heres what i suggest:

***drumroll*** the behringer u-control uca202... two inputs...perfect for guitar and voice... simple no-hassle gets the job done.

audacity is good...but magix music maker takes you a step better.  you can get version 11 (there are 12) off of amazon for about 20-25 bucks... you can also do an edownload of version 12 from the magix website for 30 dollars...but version 12 doesnt seem like it has huge new features.

also for mics.  if your playing acoustic, buying a guitar pickup is a good option, you can get them for $20-30 on musicians friend... give you good sound, without alot of tinkering, just plug it into your uca-202 and go.  and the behringer xm8500 microphone is a good mic for vocals... never tried one for micing a guitar...but theyre supposed to be good. thats really all you should need with mics.  dont blow your money on shure mics...there are other options.

there you go... thats a really good setup for about 80 dollars...im like you. cheap, without a lot of money to burn. ive put in some research, and this is the best ive come up with.  magix music maker deluxe (i have version 11).  behringer uca-202, and behringer xm5800 mics. look around for cheapo guitar pickups...theres my system.
tiptoi,
j

okay, sorry if i sound stupid, but when you say pickup, do you mean like a humbucker pickup? (how do i put that on an acoustic?) Or is there something else?
i want to get the mic and the uca-202. They seem like good values.
thanks!
~kori

hey... they make special pickups that you can put in your soundhole.  this one will cost $10 more then another mic...but will probably be easier to deal with...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=300132

tiptoi,
j

okay, cool thanks!