Re: "F" chord is now outlawed

I am still in "dread" mode. I started playing in August of last year, hit it pretty hard until November, then I haven't played at all since then. The brain is willing, but it didn't seem like I was getting any better. I was supposed to get some guitar lessons for Christmas, but they haven't come to fruition yet. I think right now I am getting in to my own head a little bit and blocking myself from learning. I am also in the middle of a necessary weight loss journey and that needs to take priority over everything else. We will see. In the mean time I will keep checking in on the forums to see if I can pick up some pointers.

Scott -- Hudson Valley, NY

Don't wait 30 years between like I did.  I put the guitar down in 1978 and didn't pick it back up until 2008.  Sorry.  Oh yeah, I have arthritis in my left hand, index finger.  I use Fmaj7 for all the F'ing I need and it is fine.  Pick it up and make yourself play.  Forgot how much I loved the guitar.

Hey Caromshot welcome to Chordie. I hope your jouney takes you where you want to go.
     Dedicaton, and persistance Scott! The same goes for learning the guitar. You are in
     what I call the "classic mode". Most will at some point in learning get frustrated and
     lay their guitar down for awhile usually in the begining and that makes it "classic".
     Don't worry about getting better at first. Just learn even if you don't pick it up you
     could read up on music theory, how guitars are built, favorite players etc. You'll
     get back into it. Yes, personal lessons are the best way to go but at a cost. Hang in
     there and remember a lot of great players are self taught. I've been at it for many
     years and I also still get frustrated at times and put it down but.... I know right where
     I put it down.         Good luck Scott,   Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

caromshot wrote:

I am still in "dread" mode. I started playing in August of last year, hit it pretty hard until November, then I haven't played at all since then. The brain is willing, but it didn't seem like I was getting any better. I was supposed to get some guitar lessons for Christmas, but they haven't come to fruition yet. I think right now I am getting in to my own head a little bit and blocking myself from learning. I am also in the middle of a necessary weight loss journey and that needs to take priority over everything else. We will see. In the mean time I will keep checking in on the forums to see if I can pick up some pointers.

Welcome to the forums Caromshot (Scott)!  We both started "learning" at about the same time.  I was pleased with my little strides, and the great Chordie members were very encouraging (as well as my hubby) and that helped to keep me motivated.  Check out justinguitar.com and walk through his beginner lessons.  Of course, you won't get feedback on what you're doing "wrong" or "right" but he really is an excellent teacher!  If it hadn't been for him I wouldn't have ever gotten that first song down.  As he starts you out with A, D, and E ... try "Leaving on a Jet Plane" as it primarily goes between A and D with an E just for good "measure" smile  Pick that guitar back up and get going.  I HIGHLY suggest doing some practice exercises, just switching chords and finger stretches etc.  It makes a difference!  GOOD LUCK!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Another tip on the perseverance front: get yourself a cheap audio recorder (I used a Sony microcassette that cost about $20) and record your practice sessions for a week or so.  IF you practice consistently EVERY DAY for two months, then go back and listen to those tapes, you will be astounded at how far you've actually come.

I've been playing and practicing for an average of three hours a day for the nearly three years now, and whenever I get a little discouraged, I think, "where was I six months ago?"  I'm always miles farther along than I was then.  The key is doing it consistently every day, at least six days a week; to pay attention to what you're doing, and to do it slowly enough that you don't make any mistakes.  Once you teach your fingers what they are supposed to do, they will take over and just do it.

Something I meant to point out earlier about barre chords, is to practice them first well up the neck; around the ninth fret or so.  It's MUCH easier to play them up there, and as you get more confident with them, move them gradually down toward the headstock.  You'll be playing both the B and the F in a month.

Welcome to Chordie, Caromshot.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I'd like to support what dguyton has said about recording yourself.  It's so hard to pick up little problems and issues with your sound when you're concentrating on playing and singing and what's coming up on the chart and is that danged Bm on this line or the next.  But when you listen to yourself, it's a lot easier to pick up on things like your voice dropping off at the end of each line or that you throw in extra strums in a certain transition and throw off the timing or all sorts of things like that. 

When I first recorded myself singing, I was astounded at how poorly it came out.  I like Russell Harding's voice, and so sent him a copy of the recording asking for any advice.  He gave good advice, and I also used some on-line lessons, recording myself doing the same songs over time.  Now this past weekend, Topdown gave me an unsolicited complement on my voice, which was nice to hear.  Recording, listening for errors, being constructively critical of yourself and getting the advice of people whom you respect will take the place in some small way for having the immediate feedback of a live instructor. 

dguyton also gave some other excellent advice in doing what you want to do eventually slowly and accurately and keeping time now, and by the time you've done it 1,000 times a dozen times a day over the course of months, it's going to be smooth and accurate at any speed.

The only criticism I have of his message is the suggestion that B is possible by anyone other than a mutant. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I barre the F and F# also the BM, I have no problem with B7,     however i guess i will never be a mutant because the open F and any B chord is impossible for me. A Bad deal because i like a lot of Waylon Jennings stuff and he used the B a lot.

try something a little different start with an "e"  with pinky, ring ,and middle fingers slide the middle finger to the 6th frett and barr on the 5th frett (a chord ) slide the whole package up two fretts and you have a b chord   1 4 5 progression you will find it easier to barr farther up the neck

always pickin someting

dont quit or give up.......i worked for 32yrs in a factory then retired and decided i wanted to learn so i can play around our bonfire.i started at 47yrs old my fingers dont work like they should but i try to play at least a half hour a day even if its the same songs.......if i can do anyone can

mekidsmom wrote:
caromshot wrote:

Welcome to the forums Caromshot (Scott)!  We both started "learning" at about the same time.  I was pleased with my little strides, and the great Chordie members were very encouraging (as well as my hubby) and that helped to keep me motivated.  Check out justinguitar.com and walk through his beginner lessons.  Of course, you won't get feedback on what you're doing "wrong" or "right" but he really is an excellent teacher!  If it hadn't been for him I wouldn't have ever gotten that first song down.  As he starts you out with A, D, and E ... try "Leaving on a Jet Plane" as it primarily goes between A and D with an E just for good "measure" smile  Pick that guitar back up and get going.  I HIGHLY suggest doing some practice exercises, just switching chords and finger stretches etc.  It makes a difference!  GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for your encouragement. I have no doubt I will pick it up again soon. I have a scheduling issue. I work 4 days per week 11 hours per day, I am working on my weight which take priority as it is increasing my health (thus will increase the amount of time I remain in this world to play the guitar). I will definitely check out the website you wrote about. We will see where it leads.

Scott - HV, NY

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and ideas. I will put them to good use. I would love to be able to practice 6 days a week, but that is not a real possibilty with my work schedule and my wieght loss journey. I long for the days I will have  anormal work schedule, but I am not there yet.

Scott - HV, NY

Most of us don't have alot of time either.  Hang in there, but keep at it as much as you are able, and it will come with time.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thingywhatsit wrote:

Hehe! I have been playing guitar for two months now. I hated the F chord with a vengeance and avoided it. Then I decided I had to do it. I use the barre chord. Then I just learned it, and had a stroke and went to hospital, losing the use of my fingers. I came back home and was so stubborn I have worked on it for the past two weeks and I have it back. It is possible. If I can do it anyone can.

Now THAT is an awesome testimony!!
Keep on keeping on!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

hahahahaha i'm a mutant hahahahaha not only am i a mutant
i'm a freak as well cos my fingers do what i want them to do on the fret board
gee i'm so lucky........ not, i'm so practiced that's what i am, i practice exercises, scales, various chord shapes,
key stuctures and even if i play a riff a tune or a song every day is a practice day even if it's a 5minute practice.
hahahaha "F" for freakn mutants hahahaha "F rules"hahahaha, rise to the challenge tommydone and good luck.

practice makes better,perfect practice makes perfect.

65 (edited by ozymandias 2010-07-04 21:27:33)

I'm proud to say, that I am now getting the hang of the F chord. Even switching to it in songs that we play in my string band group class.   Nothing like being in a group to help the technique come along.  Even my B chords are coming along.  <ZOINKS>  Whatever will happen next!? wink

Now please don't tell Zurf or any of the other F and B chord banners.  Cause if you do, I'll give you such a pinch.  tongue

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. I have been playing for 18 months now and the F chord is my nemesis. So i attack it by playing as many songs as i can with an F chord especially if the change is from a totally different chord like G. The barre chord version is like most barre chords.....frustrating !!! But again....practice....practice

67 (edited by ozymandias 2010-07-05 00:00:42)

Klingon wrote:

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. I have been playing for 18 months now and the F chord is my nemesis. So i attack it by playing as many songs as i can with an F chord especially if the change is from a totally different chord like G. The barre chord version is like most barre chords.....frustrating !!! But again....practice....practice

It took me awhile, but my easiest transition is from G to F, C to F takes a bit more practice for me.

yikes  OH NOES, Klingon is Bchord/org  and the first letter in Barre is B, resistance is futile.  We're doomed.....to playing songs with B chords and Barre chords.  tongue

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

The f chord isn't so hard for me anymore, or most other barred chords. But when I had a song where the main pattern was F Gm Am Bb. The playing through the first three times wasn't so bad. It sounded nice and clear, but at the end of the song I almost died. It was a nice reality check for me. Since then I've been practicing it more.

no audience required.

69 (edited by caromshot 2010-07-13 22:07:18)

Ok, I took mekidsmom's advice and went to justinguitar.com (THANK YOU!). I like his style. I have been following the beginner lessons for about 2 weeks now and I see marked improvement, even over where I was last November. One of my goals is to play one song as well as my father does, so that I can play along with him. My previous goal was to play with him, which I reached last October when I went to visit him in Maine. He is self taught and some of my best memories as a kid are listening to my father play the guitar with our family singing along with the lyrics. My wife and I are going to adopt a baby and I hope to pass this tradition along to our children.

Many of you are probably now saying, crawl before walk, walk before you run, run before you run long distances. I have some high goals, but I will to acheive them in good time. I have applied Justin's lessons to learning one of the songs my father taught me and I am seeing some progress there as well. It adds a couple concepts like transition chords (Technically called a filler I think), and changing a chord to allow for the chords I already know (using A instead of A7). Thank you all once again for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I hope to pop in here more often in the future to chat with you all and update you on my status.

caromshot wrote:

Ok, I took mekidsmom's advice and went to justinguitar.com (THANK YOU!). I like his style. I have been following the beginner lessons for about 2 weeks now and I see marked improvement, even over where I was last November. One of my goals is to play one song as well as my father does, so that I can play along with him. My previous goal was to play with him, which I reached last October when I went to visit him in Maine. He is self taught and some of my best memories as a kid are listening to my father play the guitar with our family singing along with the lyrics. My wife and I are going to adopt a baby and I hope to pass this tradition along to our children.

Many of you are probably now saying, crawl before walk, walk before you run, run before you run long distances. I have some high goals, but I will to acheive them in good time. I have applied Justin's lessons to learning one of the songs my father taught me and I am seeing some progress there as well. It adds a couple concepts like transition chords (Technically called a filler I think), and changing a chord to allow for the chords I already know (using A instead of A7). Thank you all once again for your encouragement. I appreciate it. I hope to pop in here more often in the future to chat with you all and update you on my status.

I'm from Maine, what area does your father live in??   

As SouthPaw would say, Peace Love and Guitars!!  Keep us posted!

Hello Caromshot and, as this is the first time I have spoken to you, welcome to Chordie.

There is nothing wrong in having high goals as long as you realise that they usually time time to achieve. Something to aim for is good and the only way to improve so I reckon you have got this right.

Good luck to you and I hope you let us know when you are able to play the song you want to with your father (and what the song is to).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

caromshot wrote:

Caromshot, this is GREAT!  I was a bit concerned you were going to give up, I'm thrilled to hear that my advice has helped you out!  When I started last year, my goal was just to be able to play a couple songs at the campfire the following summer (that's THIS summer!!).  At the time, it was the last party of the season and it felt like my Dad wasn't going to be able to play anymore.  I have similar memories as you, and I couldn't "live with the thought" of no more guitars at the campfire.  While I felt like I was taking a big leap maybe trying to fill his shoes, what happened was I actually encouraged him to play more!  Now my father and I will BOTH have our guitars out this year!  I can't compare to him... yet I can now appreciate even more what he's capable of, he's proud of what I've learned and encourages me to do more, and we have something new in common to talk about and be excited about together.  Music sure is fun when you can share it with someone you love, someone who understands and can appreciate what you're doing! 

So, I think a goal is great to have... and once you reach that goal you can make another and keep reaching forward.  Enjoy your journey!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

ozymandias wrote:

Now please don't tell Zurf or any of the other F and B chord banners.  Cause if you do, I'll give you such a pinch.  tongue

I have no beef with F. F is a chord with a fine upbringing and good heritage.  F is merely difficult and sometimes a little touchy, but it usually settles down quickly and cooperates with the C and G chords. 

It's B to which I object.  It's just plain evil.  Just yesterday, I caught a B chord trying to cut the brake lines on my truck.  There was another one hiding in a pine tree pulling out a robin's tail-feathers until I chased it off.  They come in packs and they have no regard for decency.  It mocks poor E and A as if they weren't even harmonic, trying to take over the whole key and make it its own.  Shun the B.  Shun it. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Caromshot - Well done.

Alas, I am undone, the siren call of the B chord and it's siblings B7 and Bm are too enticing.  Their call reaches into the depths of my soul.